.40 S&W vs 357 SIG, in the real world

This is a discussion on .40 S&W vs 357 SIG, in the real world within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at some ballistics on the .40 and the 357, there doesn't look like a big difference. The numbers tell a different story. I do ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs 357 SIG, in the real world

Looking at some ballistics on the .40 and the 357, there doesn't look like a big difference. The numbers tell a different story. I do a lot of wilderness hiking.camping. I have a M&P40c that I carry. I'm thinking of protection from animals (no Grizz in the area). In the real world, is the 357 SIG much better than the .40? (I'm thinking of a conversion barrel)

...first thing that jumps to mind is ammo availablility and prices...40 is becoming the round most found...though I can't see why...

...as to conversion barrels...I've heard the Glock .357 becomes a .40 by just changing barrels...a young man today at my local pawn shop was buying a .357 Glock and said he planned to buy a .40 cal barrel...and also a 9mm barrell and a .22 conversion kit...all sounds good except the 9mm part...is that doable? if so...might be a good plan...3 major calibers does give you choices...
    Takeem406 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...first thing that jumps to mind is ammo availablility and prices...40 is becoming the round most found...though I can't see why...
    That does come to mind but if I'm only using it for protection, I won't need much.

...doncha just love optimists...
    Ghost1958 and Tzadik like this.

Re: .40 S&W vs 357 SIG, in the real world

...as to conversion barrels...I've heard the Glock .357 becomes a .40 by just changing barrels...a young man today at my local pawn shop was buying a .357 Glock and said he planned to buy a .40 cal barrel...and also a 9mm barrell and a .22 conversion kit...all sounds good except the 9mm part...is that doable? if so...might be a good plan...3 major calibers does give you choices...
    Thats why I like 40's. I haven't gotten other barrels but the option is there. I can find everything to load 357 sig but not 40. However I found a local store that has shelves full of both... And no I'm not telling!

In God and Glock we Trust

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Yep, doable. He'll need a 9mm mag for the conversion.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yep, doable. He'll need a 9mm mag for the conversion.
    I do believe that I will only need a conversion barrel. The .40 mags are marked .40/357.

...for the 9...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ_mp40c View Post
    I do believe that I will only need a conversion barrel. The .40 mags are marked .40/357.
    No, need a 9mm mag to go with the 9mm conversion barrel. They (9mms) tend to misfeed in a .40 mag.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No, need a 9mm mag to go with the 9mm conversion barrel. They (9mms) tend to misfeed in a .40 mag.
    True, 9mm mags and barrel to shoot 9mm.

What abt the ejector and extractor difference btwn the 9 and 40 size. How do u get by that..
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    What abt the ejector and extractor difference btwn the 9 and 40 size. How do u get by that..
    On the M&P, to change calibers (.40 to 9mm or .40 to 357sig) only require a conversion barrel and mags for the 9mm conversion.

Back to the original question.

Does the 357sig have that much more power than good .40 loads?

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I had a glock 40 and a 9mm conversion barrel. Extractor worked fine along with the 9mm ammo in the 40sw mags. I would not bet my live on the mags or extractor but for range /practice sure. M&P 40 357 barrels are interchangable. Thats it. Don't know about 9mm conversions , mags or extractors.

I would rather have a heavy 40sw for trail use and I don't see enought differnce between the 357 124gr loads and the 40cal 135gr loads to matter. 357 sig is a little faster ,and little lighter. 40 cal bores a bigger hole with a heavier bullet at 100fps difference. Stock up on 40cal ammo in a couple differenr weight ranges and I'll be happy. Now the glock 22 10mm and the 9x25 dillions conversion barrel!!!! Or a 45acp and 40super conversion!!!

For woods protection against medium critters, I would stay with the 40 and carry 180grn bullets like the XTP, or a hardcast loaded to about 1100 fps. If anything else, I would rather go up in bullet weight than down, regardless of any velocity gain.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ_mp40c View Post
    On the M&P, to change calibers (.40 to 9mm or .40 to 357sig) only require a conversion barrel and mags for the 9mm conversion.

Back to the original question.

Does the 357sig have that much more power than good .40 loads
    ?

From;
    Comments on the .357 SIG
    The .357 Magnum has produced results on motivated felons similar to high power rifle hits. I observed a felon who had been struck by a .357 Magnum 125 grain JHP. The felon had been running and firing over his shoulder at the officer. The officer had returned fire at fifteen yards, on the run. The bullet had struck the point of the jaw where it meets the skull. The offender’s eyeballs were blown out by hydrostatic pressure and the top row of teeth taken out by the exiting bullet. On another occasion I chased a large angry mongrel that had bitten the end of a citizens finger off. I fired a single 125 grain JHP at about ten yards. The effect was immediate: the chest wall where the bullet impacted actually caved in and on the opposite side, blood and lung tissue were strewn for six feet or more
    AND:
    Does the .357 SIG equal the .357 Magnum? Yes and no. The bullets used in the .357 SIG do not expand and fragment as dynamically as the .357 Magnum. In personal defense, the 115 to 124 grain .357 SIG bullets are fine but as we move to the 140 grain weight the .357 Magnum's greater case capacity shows much greater power. In the real world, the .357 SIG has as much punch with comparable 125 gain loads as the .357 Magnum. the long suit of the .357 SIG is penetration

And this;
    People look at the stubby little bottlenecked pistol cartridge that comprises the .357 SIG and compare it to the long, powerful round with the magic word “Magnum” on the headstamp. We all know that connotation, and are just unwilling or unable to believe a semi-auto pistol cartridge could possibly measure up to it. But by keeping the yardsticks even, with bullets of the same weight for both guns, it does. Sure, the magnum revolver is much more versatile with ammo, using up to 180-grain bullets. It is better for a wider range of needs. But, that doesn’t change the fact that the SIG semi-automatic outran the mighty magnum on a level playing field.
    From here; .357 SIG | Shooting Illustrated

AND this;
    I’d like to discuss some excellent information from the Ammo Lab | Ammo Lab forum group. This ammolab site specializes in testing ammo and is one of the top 9 firearms sites on the planet:
    He has tested several thousand rounds of the usual 9, 40, 45, etc. When he tested the 357 Sig Winchester Ranger and Remington Golden Saber ammo, it did something only the 10mm Silvertip has been able to do. Both of these rounds cracked the top plate that holds the gelatin blocks in place during testing. It’s obvious that these 357 Sig rounds dump more energy into 12 – 14 inches of gelatin than most other rounds he has tested.

When he reinforced the top plates, the same two 357 Sig rounds mentioned above then cracked the lower plate. The best 9mm loads, such as the Ranger 127gr +P+ barely created a ripple in the gelatin in comparison.
    From here; HandGunInfo.com: 357SIG: Pistol Energy

I think, if this info is even REMOTELY close to being true, (why would all these different sources be fibbing?)
    it shows this cartridge to be incredible.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links