Ammo Price Gouging

Ammo Price Gouging

This is a discussion on Ammo Price Gouging within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got this second hand, and I haven't been back to see it for myself, but... Large non-chain gun store in SW Michigan (in fact ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Ammo Price Gouging

Ammo Price Gouging

I got this second hand, and I haven't been back to see it for myself, but...

Large non-chain gun store in SW Michigan (in fact the largest in our city). A friend was there looking for 9mm ammo last week. Arrived at the shelf just as 10 - 50 count boxes of Winchester FMJ were coming out of the back room -the store employee was retagging it from $19.99 to $50.00 a box. When he had a few choice words for the store employee, the guy looked at him, grinned and said "supply and demand, dude". My buddy walked out but the sad part is two others were there scooping it up ready to pay the ridiculous price.

My friend swears it happened just as he said. The worst part is this ammo was obviously held off the shelves as it was pre-priced at $19.99 (their normal price) , and obviously the store hadn't paid a higher price to buy it from the supplier or it would have been marked up on the first price tag.

As far as I'm concerened -that's unforgiveable. Nobody can fault a store for charging their standard mark-up over their purchase price, but this was out and out gouging.

Unless I can verify this by seeing it for myself, I won't name the store, but if this is really going on I will NEVER spend another cent in that store and I'm going to make sure they know that. Same store we just a few months back dropped $600 in for my wife's LCR, some holsters, and a couple boxes of ammo.

These are gun people robbing other gun people - that's both sad and infuriating at the same time. One of the supposedly "reputable" gun stores...I now have nothing but ill will toward them and hope their actions result in the loss of all their customers and the store closing in bankruptcy.

I'm not normally given to panic, but I'll tell you, I'm down to 50 rounds of 9mm Winchester FMJ and I can no longer go to the range every other week like my wife and I have been enjoying doing. We did manage to find her 400 rounds of .38 SPL at a Meijer's two weeks ago, but nobody in this area (other than the price gouging store I mentioned) has had any 9mm in almost 2 months. We've got our SD ammo, but it' worrisome not being able to keep our skills and muscle memory up. We're half afraid for her to use any of the 400 rounds we found, and I'm hanging on to the 50 I've got at least until I can put back a couple hundred more.

I'm wondering - how much of this ammo shortage is basically "us" stocking up due to the political climate, and how much is this out-of-control administration pulling underhanded "below the radar" ammo buys for no other reason than to keep it out of the hands of the public? I've caught a couple of the articles about the DHS buying millions of .40 cal HP and other calibers, but I somehow get the twitch in my 6 that our tax dollars are secretly buying up huge quantities of basic wadcutter target ammo just to amplify the shortage and disarm us by leaving us with empty guns.

Has anybody heard any comments directly from the manufacturers, such as Winchester, as to what exactly is taking place here?

Slider

that is insane. i found some golden saber at an lgs and picked up a couple boxes for 28.88 each + tax. figured i'd take advantage before they give in.

be sure that it's gun guys buying up pallets of ammo driving up prices. nothing more. meanwhile, people that can't afford to drop a grand on ammo are screwed by the time we go in to buy a box/case. demand goes up, price goes up. i haven't taken economics but i think i've heard that somewhere.

Distinguished Member
    It's called capatalism. You know what those boxes of ammo are worth? Whatever someone is willing to pay for them. You don't like it, don't buy em.

I don't like paying rediculously over inflated prices for ammo, so guess what, I'm not buying ammo right now. I am one of the ones who was smart enough to stock up this past summer and fall. I sure am not shooting any ammo I have right now, I will patiently wait until ammo is widely available again before. Just hang on, be patient and ammo will be back in a couple of months. Don't be mad, what would you charge someone for those 400 rounds of ammo you found?? I bet its not what you paid for em.
    ironmike86, oneshot and MJClark like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Unfortunately this is happening everywhere. Luckily my LGS's have remained at regular prices, but they have limited purchase qauntity. If i =were your friend I would not support that particular LGS based on their business practices.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Last time we looked and found the 400 rounds of .38's, we spent an entire Sunday going to 5 different stores. I talked to the manager at a Dunham's about pricing (he's also part owner in the store) and was assured that they would never charge any more than their standard markup over their cost. Got the same from the counter guy at the Meijer's (big chain store in Michigan) saying that his store manager has seen no retail ammo price increases come down from corporate, holding the line to their standard mark-up, and the guy I know at the Wal-Mart where I usually buy my ammo told me that corporate has sent memos out to all the Wal-Mart store managers warning against ammo price gouging. I hope all these people stick by their word if this thing keeps prolonging itself.

It just inflames me that this locally owned gun store who has lived off the local people for years and become very large because of us supporting them, will turn around and stab us in the back over what amounts to chicken feed (to them) in the big picture. I guess if anything is good about this shortage, it'll show who the decent people are and who the low-lifes are.

I still smell a rat though with these huge government purchases. They've bought enough .40 cal to sustain a full scale war for a long long time. Funny how it happens right about the same time as the liberals declared war on gun owners.

Slider

Guess I'm a little different, Miller Man. If it was another average gun owner like myself who has totally struck out after searching everywhere, and he asked, he'd get half what I had at the price I paid. That's called decency. Guess we can't all be smart like you and buy way ahead, I didn't see this coming back then, primarily because we just bought our first handguns late last fall.

I'm a business owner too. There's a difference between capitalism and pure greed.

I haven't seen this happening. No price changes yet anyway. Hopefully it stays that way.

It's called greed,price gouging and some other words i won't use.It's happening here.An Ace Hardware in Florence,S.C. had a price of 58.00 for one box of 50 fmjs,for a 45 cal..I didn't raise cane about it. It's not like they going to say,well since you think it's to much,i'm going to drop the price.I just left them on the shelf,went to walmart.They had a 100 in a box for 40.00.
    Darrow75 likes this.

VIP Member
    I couldn't agree more with the clerk: supply and demand. It's the beauty (and sometimes frustration) of what we call a free market society. Now I'm not a fan of the clerk being smug (if that's what his attitude was), but it's the economic truth. And I find it ironic what we call greed. One person hoarding ammo and then that same person gripping about businesses charging more for ammo (or guns or rifles or whatever) in this nutty post Sandy Hook day (not saying any of us are doing it though some of us most certainly are). It's like that pot calling the kettle black. Whether your mode of operation is buying in moderation or stocking piling, you gotta do what you gotta do.

MHO is that the POTUS and his gun grabbing friends love this chaos we 2nd Amendmenters are living in right now.

p.s. I'll add this..going from $20 to $50 bucks does seem outrageous. I'd love for someone more intelligent in the ways of economics to explain to me what price gouging is...this seems like it might fit that category.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Quote Originally Posted by srings View Post
    I couldn't agree more with the clerk: supply and demand. It's the beauty (and sometimes frustration) of what we call a free market society. Now I'm not a fan of the clerk being smug (if that's what his attitude was), but it's the economic truth. And I find it ironic what we call greed. One person hoarding ammo and then that same person gripping about businesses charging more for ammo (or guns or rifles or whatever) in this nutty post Sandy Hook day (not saying any of us are doing it though some of us most certainly are). It's like that pot calling the kettle black. Whether your mode of operation is buying in moderation or stocking piling, you gotta do what you gotta do.

MHO is that the POTUS and his gun grabbing friends love this chaos we 2nd Amendmenters are living in right now.

p.s. I'll add this..going from $20 to $50 bucks does seem outrageous. I'd love for someone more intelligent in the ways of economics to explain to me what price gouging is...this seems like it might fit that category.
    Price gouging can come with several different meanings and definitions. I teach economics and I define price gouging as charging above fair market value in a time of emergency or when no alternative retailer is available.

It is not part of the supply and demand equation. Price gouging is usually reserved for the necessities of life such as water, food, shelter.

GeorgiaCarry
    atctimmy and srings like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Its just insane. Oh well some are buying it cuz its hard to find anywhere right now even the lowly 22lr. It is sad though.

VIP Member
    Just like gasoline the price will keep rising if we keep buying.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    It's called capatalism. You know what those boxes of ammo are worth? Whatever someone is willing to pay for them. You don't like it, don't buy em.

I don't like paying rediculously over inflated prices for ammo, so guess what, I'm not buying ammo right now. I am one of the ones who was smart enough to stock up this past summer and fall. I sure am not shooting any ammo I have right now, I will patiently wait until ammo is widely available again before. Just hang on, be patient and ammo will be back in a couple of months. Don't be mad, what would you charge someone for those 400 rounds of ammo you found?? I bet its not what you paid for em.
    I do have to agree . I don't like it, but it's simple over demand and low supply . I too saw this coming and week by week before this hit I was stocked up. I spent last summer bargain shopping . So I guess that makes me a prepper in a way . The good news I am seeing it start to return in my area . Some people went crazy the past few months, but some of them are going to take a bath on some of that stuff. The AR's and AK's and ammo are dropping quick here via the local V boards .

One of my favorite sayings is " Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it " man that was right on the money . It goes for anything really

VIP Member
    The problem many of you guys don't get is this. The little guys are not diverse enough to survive without raising prices. Meijer and wally's don't care if they can't get any more ammo from the warehouse this week because they will still be making plenty of money on milk, beans and Levi's.

The little gun shop on the other hand doesn't have anything else to sell other than guns, ammo and accessories. When their supply runs dry they HAVE to raise prices on what is in stock or else the employees and the mortgage don't get paid. If new product isn't available then the only option is to sell what they have at a higher price.....or go under.

This is NOT price gouging. This is economics and the reality of running a small business when demand greatly exceeds supply.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Was it On-Target, in Kalamazoo? I usually have a few hours to kill mid day during the week and generally kill time by stopping local LGS's. Every time I go in there the prices keep rising. Beginning of January they had some 9mm range ammo on the shelf for around $30.00, while they had multiple bulk boxes (standard shipping form bulk) of the same product for $14.99 per 50rds that were marked underneath the shelf and visible waiting for employees to re-price them.

Now it is standard retail practice to mark you stocked product to the most recent price payed for same inventory, yet clearly setting prices well above "reasonable" or relative payed price is traditionally considered "unethical" and frowned up by consumers. Now what has surprised me lately with LGS's is the general lack of either "ethical" and/or contingency planning. With availability of already scarce product becoming even more scarce, gouging upon prices, especially in plain sight of customers is something that will hurt future business. The trend for loyalty with regards to brands/businesses are only going down, and every time a business in perceived by a customer (reality is what people perceive) as having wronged them, the competition has already scooped them up. If it comes down to a mass shortage of inventory for LGS's, the ones that have been perceived in a negative manner may not be able to survive off of patronizing customers alone. There are better methods to stockpile inventory that is liquidating at a rate that is not replenishing sufficiently fast enough, while maintaining a positive relationship with not only your core customer base, but your entire/potential customer base.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links