9mm ball ammo..

9mm ball ammo..

This is a discussion on 9mm ball ammo.. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just picked up 100 rounds of 9mm ball ammo from a buddy for $24. the packaging is like in russian or chinese they come in ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gallardo.g23

Thread: 9mm ball ammo..

9mm ball ammo..

just picked up 100 rounds of 9mm ball ammo from a buddy for $24. the packaging is like in russian or chinese they come in little boxes of 25 my buddy wasnt sure on the grain but said they're really hot rounds and ball ammo is suppose to be a good penetrating round. im going to try them out next weekend and he said if i like em he has around 2,000 more he will sell.. i hope they perform well cause this is a nice hookup!!

Are you considering carrying this ammo for CCW? Im not following why you would be interested in the penetration of ball ammo..... shoot some and if it works buy more for plinking.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Are you considering carrying this ammo for CCW? Im not following why you would be interested in the penetration of ball ammo..... shoot some and if it works buy more for plinking.
    + 1 to this post. And lucky you for finding ammo at a decent deal Id buy up for practice and plinking. Hollow points for defense in 9mm ball would risk over penetrating and hitting an innocent bystander. Just my .02 cents. Stay safe and carry on.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    It would be easy to pull a bullet and weigh it to compare to your carry ammo. Then again, it would be more fun to shoot 3 shot groups at 5, 10, and 20m to compare POI.

9mm may be scarce, but I'd try to talk him down closer to $400 for the whole batch. $420 is a respectable price for American made FMJ ammo. You're getting cheap Russian surplus. Oh, I'd apply it liberally to paper targets. Not for SD use.

Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    just picked up 100 rounds of 9mm ball ammo from a buddy for $24. the packaging is like in russian or chinese they come in little boxes of 25 my buddy wasnt sure on the grain but said they're really hot rounds and ball ammo is suppose to be a good penetrating round. im going to try them out next weekend and he said if i like em he has around 2,000 more he will sell.. i hope they perform well cause this is a nice hookup!!
    9mm FMJ (115 gr or 124 gr) is good for about 26 - 29 inches of penetration depending on the specifics, so if it is penetration you want, such a load will give you enough to go through two, maybe even three, people.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

VIP Member
    Stupid question here,

I trust you have a 9mm barrel & mags for that G23?
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Chances are, this ammo does not meet SAAMI spec's so I would be a little apprehensive about using it in the first place. I'm not a fan of Russian ammo. Your luck may be good with it for target shooting but I dont suggest it for SD ammo. Ball ammo usually has far superior penetration compared to JHP. The main reason hollow points are used for SD is that it expands inside the body for maximum destruction and also so it does not over penetrate and cause undo harm to whatever is beyond your intended target.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I have some Rusian 9mm ball ammo that is VERY hot. I've only fired a few and all have shown signs of high presure with one round actually jamming the extractor on my Ruger PC9 carbine. I had an ammo collector tell me that my ammo may be intended for sub-machine rather than pistol.

Just my experience. Be safe.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

to oneshot.. no dont have a 9mm barrel for my 23 was actually planning on using it in my 9mm handgun being that i bought 9mm ammo. was just posting this cause ive never seen that ammo and have never seen the packaging or the language and im actually kinda nervous to shoot it. ill try out a couple rounds but was just seeing if anyone else knew ne thing about the ammo. if i figure out how to put pics on here ill post them that would probly be more helpful
    oneshot likes this.

the ball ammo turned out to be a bust, atleast for my gun. outa 16 rounds in the clip the striker in my sigma only set off like 4 to 5 rounds. reloaded the ones that didnt go off and they fired. i wont be buying 9mm from that guy again. but hey atleast i tried it.. you need a hard striker or pin to set it off i guess. that stuff was dirty too. shot 50 rounds of it and my gun looked like i shot 500 rounds through it

Sponsored Links