Ammo for pocket carry

Ammo for pocket carry

This is a discussion on Ammo for pocket carry within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pocket carry a Beretta Nano 9mm. I like Hornady Critical Defense ammo because it has stopping power, but little recoil in a small gun. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ljutic

Thread: Ammo for pocket carry

Ammo for pocket carry

I pocket carry a Beretta Nano 9mm. I like Hornady Critical Defense ammo because it has stopping power, but little recoil in a small gun. But Critical Defense is not available anywhere so I'm looking for a substitute. Ideas? I want something with stopping power, but no +P.

I don't know what to recommend at the moment because there hasn't really been anything available for practice or defense.

At this time anything that you can find is your best option. Sorry, not much help here.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I carry Hornady Critical Duty in my Kimber Solo but you probably can't find that either.

I carry Speer Gold Dot, but really any name brand SD ammo should be OK.

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Speer Gold Dot +P Short Barrel.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Shundave View Post
    I pocket carry a Beretta Nano 9mm. I like Hornady Critical Defense ammo because it has stopping power, but little recoil in a small gun. But Critical Defense is not available anywhere so I'm looking for a substitute. Ideas? I want something with stopping power, but no +P.
    I'm curious what makes Hornady Critical Defense have stopping power?

Pocket Guns and Gear: Ammo tests
    I have a pretty good cross section of 9mm tests available including your benchmark Critical Defense. I'm a HST fan based on how it has tested for expansion and penetration. Not sure how it compares to Critical Defense in stopping power.
    Cory1022 likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Right now anything you can find that feeds reliably in your gun. Ammo especially 9mm is a b***h to find right now.

Last summer and fall I bought several boxes of 100 round Remington 9mm, 115 grain, HP, standard pressure @Wally World. Green and white box Remington, not 'Express'. They shoot really well from my wife's Taurus PT 92. I don't remember the cost but it seemed reasonable. I haven't been shopping lately so I don't know what is out there.

i just got some federal 124gr hydrashok hollow points for my 9mm at a big R store and use fmj in my spare mag. use remington 180gr hollow points for my 40cal and also carry fmj in spare mag. usuallly carry my glock but sometimes carry my sigma.. hope that helps

12 Months ago my local Walmart looked like this.

The 9mm and 40 are good in the auto calibers.

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

[QUOTE=Ljutic;2617318]12 Months ago my local Walmart looked like this.

The 9mm and 40 are good in the auto calibers.

QUOTE]

Thanks to reading your blog I have started using the UMC JHPs as a second choice for carry ammo when I can't obtain Gold Dots or HST. It looks like it performs very well for the money.

Ammo for pocket carry

After spending a lot of time watching all kinds of ballistic testing on the net I have decided not to trust anything with my life but Buffalo Bore. It matters not about the caliber you are carrying this stuff is the real deal. I think if you do some research you will feel the same way. Don't believe all the crap spouted on these forums and look for yourself. Seeing is believing. I don't work for BB or know anyone that does. I buy the +P or +P+. This ammo is not for target shooting but you should shoot enough to get the feel of it in your gun.

I prefer Critical Defense as well. IMHO the truth is any modern factory self defense ammo (and ball in a 45acp :) ) is probably gonna get done what you need done...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Links