Why no ammo / reloads are available

This is a discussion on Why no ammo / reloads are available within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat Local stores! Cabela's, Gander Mountain and both my LGS. They get shipments in every week and sometimes twice. I have seen ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Why no ammo / reloads are available

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Local stores! Cabela's, Gander Mountain and both my LGS. They get shipments in every week and sometimes twice.

I have seen boxes of large and small rifle primers ( they limit one box of 1000) boxes and boxes of large pistol. The small pistol is harder to find.
    they have small pistol magnum match. I got a pound of Unique pistol powder for $18.99 the primers are up there at $32.99 for 1000.
    Cabela's has nothing. Gander Mtn. only has shotgun primer, no small pistol primer. Very frustrating!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Local stores! Cabela's, Gander Mountain and both my LGS. They get shipments in every week and sometimes twice.

I have seen boxes of large and small rifle primers ( they limit one box of 1000) boxes and boxes of large pistol. The small pistol is harder to find.
    they have small pistol magnum match. I got a pound of Unique pistol powder for $18.99 the primers are up there at $32.99 for 1000.
    Cabela's has nothing. Gander Mtn. only has shotgun primer, no small pistol primer. Very frustrating!

I had thought 9mm ammo would be plentiful; since being a NATO round the world produces.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    be part of a plan?

This latest disaster being grotesquely exploited by the Obama Junta, happened not long after the election.

I think it is just public panic driving hording. Even people who have not been to the range in years are buying up what they can.
    How much is enough? Depends what your panic level is.

People need to settle down and understand how government purchases work and actually read the contracts.

DHS is a huge agency made up of a lot of other agencies like ICE, FLETC, Border Patrol, TSA, USCG, FEMA, USSS, Customs. DHS puts a bid for a purchase contract to encompass all those agencies it oversees. Typically it's for a one or two year period of purchase with the option to extend the purchases for a few more years. They do this to lock in prices and lock in supplies for the coming years. They rarely actually purchase the full contract amount. The contract is a bid to purchase up to X amount of ammunition at Y pricing.

There is a lot of tinfoil hat stuff going on but it's mostly from people that don't know how these government bids and contracts work.
    JD likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

My frustration with the "stockpiling" is that I just bought my AR back in November right before the presidential election. I also bought 600 rounds of .223. All I want to do is shoot my new rifle, but I can't find any more ammo. I just need another 200-300 rounds for me and the kids. This shortage has got me paranoid to shoot the 600 rounds that I do have.
    Cheesewiz likes this.

GH
    I've heard that DHS has bought 1.6 billion rounds of various calibers. Lots of handgun ammo, 5.56 & sniper rifle rounds (?!) If they're buying that much what are Federal LE agencies buying? And the Military? That coupled with the fact that many gun owners are panic buying means a severe shortage. I'm about to panic myself as my stock is down to 270 rounds & I can't find any. With a new gun coming in the near (hopefully) future I'm afraid I can't push 500 rounds through it as I customarily do with a new handgun. I'll limit myself to 150 rounds (some of which will have to be SD) grudgingly.

As a side note - the commentator stated that our troops would take 20 years to shoot off 1.6 billion rounds in a war such as Iraq & Afghanistan. The only reason all of those commenting on the subject can think of is the government want to create an extreme shortage. Reasons unknown but we can guess. The question has been asked "are the Feds going to wage war on Americans"? Is DHS only responsible for matters on US soil? If so then why so much ammo? Or is this just another gun control measure? I don't pretend to know the answer & I'm afraid to guess. That's the stuff nightmares are made of.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

This is why I have bought in regular quantities every 2 weeks (Payday) for the last 10+ years. Those that did not see it in 2008 have repeated it in 2012. I am reloading using SPP/LPP from the 1990's Clinton Scare and have not begun to touch my stash of Y2K plus primers. Also have lots of brass, powder, and bullets. Good luck at this late date. The govement buys are over the next 4-5 years. The empty shelves are from the late breaking gun and ammo buyers that did not see anything coming with this election and missed the boat totally on the 2008 election.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    The govement buys are over the next 4-5 years.
    If this is the case, then I'll bet there will be some new ammunition manufacturers sprouting up in the near future, if the shortage continues. There are plenty of raw materials out there to produce the primers/powder/brass/bullets, just no facilities to increase production. This would be a good time for someone with the capital, and the guts to start a venture in ammunition manufacturing. Will it be quality ammo???? Who knows.

I have to agree with Blue Thunder. I believe I read somewhere where the government's ammo buying is just based on contracts. The have the ability to buy up to 1.6 billion rounds at the agreed price. Typically the American people don't purchase enough ammo from the manufacturers to keep them running at full capacity so they look for the government to make long term contracts. I am not a conspiracty theorist so my guess is that with everything as crazy in the world as they are the government is also preparing for the worst case scenario all in its own just like most of us are. You have Kim Jong Nutjob popping nukes off like they are fireworks, tensions are high with China, probably worse than the feds even let onto, Russia was flying nuclear warhead armed fighters over Guam a few weeks ago, China and Japan are playing games of military chicken right now, Iran is a loose cannon and becoming worse, and who knows who else we have p'ed off in the last decades. I am feared that our enemies have been sitting in the dark just waiting for the right moment to move. You and all of us know darn well that our enemies are watching what is going on right now in our own country. They see that our economy is suffering, our government is disfunctional, and people are losing hope that it will get any better. Besides all that who knows, other countries may see our disfuntionality and feel we are the loose cannon that could go off at any minute.

I have always lived by the thought that in general the average person is pretty rational and calm but you get a large group of people and they are scared and make irrational decisions that lead to caous. My friends we are trapped in the middle of the caous. There are a ton of people out there that are compelled to believe in the consiracies because it is being preached from almost every side of every arguement. The truth of the matter is some of these conspiracies may be true and some may just be conspiracies. Remember we are living in a world that is becoming more scared and irrational by the day and a country that once was the greatest super power in the world that really stood for the betterment of mankind. I ask you my friends, how do you think the world views us today as divided as we are? How hypocritical are we to preach one thing to other countries and try to lead by example and then they read the national headlines that we have here such as things like: The US government is almost bankrupt, US debt has never been higher, the US is in the worst recession since the Great Depression, Us government gives weapons to drug cartels in Mexico which wind up killing US border patrol, US military is seeing massive budget cuts, no answers to what happened at Bengazi. If our government really wants to send a strong message of civil and human rights to other countries stop preaching to others about how their governments should step down and yet ours has no accountability. How can our Constitution read all men created equal but then we show the world that our ruling elite are above our own laws.

My friends I encourage you to please look at all the facts (if there really are any) and make your own educated decisions. Please don't feed the conspiracies. Most of these would probably stop if people stopped listening and ignored them. Remember all media is going to bend the truth to keep ratings high even when called out on it because there is no accountability there either. I believe justice should always be served no matter who you are. Which brings me to my next point. I encourage you to write your congressmen and women to demand answers from the administration as to what happened at bengazi and fast and furious. Its obvious that fast and furious was a failed attempt at making the drive for gun control more prominent. The curent administration needs to release that information to Congress so that those responsible for those horrific things can be brought to justice even if it is them. If they don't do whats right then let our voices be heard. Show the government WE THE PEOPLE.

I know I have ranted for a while now and didn't intend to but I truly believe that the ammo shortage is caused by no other than us. We all are probably guilty of buying what we can get our hands on. Not to mention how many new gun owners are out there.

Bar none my friends I am feared that at some point in most of our lifetimes us who have not formally served our country will have that opportunity to do so and we then will have to decide if we will take up the oath to protect our citizens and constitution from enemies foreign or domestic. I think most of you who have taken the time to read my rambling will know what my decision will be. Prepare my friends because your country may need you sooner than later.

God Bless and carry on!

Jason
    I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    I've heard that DHS has bought 1.6 billion rounds of various calibers. Lots of handgun ammo, 5.56 & sniper rifle rounds (?!) If they're buying that much what are Federal LE agencies buying? And the Military? That coupled with the fact that many gun owners are panic buying means a severe shortage. I'm about to panic myself as my stock is down to 270 rounds & I can't find any. With a new gun coming in the near (hopefully) future I'm afraid I can't push 500 rounds through it as I customarily do with a new handgun. I'll limit myself to 150 rounds (some of which will have to be SD) grudgingly.

As a side note - the commentator stated that our troops would take 20 years to shoot off 1.6 billion rounds in a war such as Iraq & Afghanistan. The only reason all of those commenting on the subject can think of is the government want to create an extreme shortage. Reasons unknown but we can guess. The question has been asked "are the Feds going to wage war on Americans"? Is DHS only responsible for matters on US soil? If so then why so much ammo? Or is this just another gun control measure? I don't pretend to know the answer & I'm afraid to guess. That's the stuff nightmares are made of.
    What you have heard is fear mongering by bloggers who are trying to create or sustain a panic. We have gone over this multiple times in multiple threads. Don't believe the hype. If you read a bunch of these "news" reports carefully what you will see is that they are "reporting" that it is "being reported". That is to say, they are not saying that any of this stuff is actually happening. You have one tinfoil hat guy that says something like DHS is buying 2700 MRAPs. (Actually it is the Navy buying MRAPs for the Marines but that is another thread) then you have other people "reporting" that "it has been reported" or "sources say".

If the source is not able to name names, or provide the documents related to the sale, you can pretty much be sure that they are no more credible or factually accurate than Infowars, Gateway Pundit, or others of their ilk.

Short version of the purchase contracts. Contract is for one year with four optional renewals. Contract is a price for up to so many rounds. Contract only obligates the government to actually buy maybe 1% of the contract potential per year.
    Some contracts actually are for specific quanitites of ammo but all of the alphabet agency ones like that I have ever seen were for thousands, not millions of rounds.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I finally figured out where all the Ammo is going .....Remember that scene in Raiders Of The Lost Ark when they are wheeling that wooden crate into that massive Govt warehouse .....raiders-1_zpsfdf9ffbb.jpg

Im just saying ....

War alright. Us against them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links