Why no ammo / reloads are available

This is a discussion on Why no ammo / reloads are available within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So why is there literally no ammo or reload primers available? I'm told the Obama government is buying up all they can (through the post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Why no ammo / reloads are available

Why no ammo / reloads are available

So why is there literally no ammo or reload primers available? I'm told the Obama government is buying up all they can (through the post office) to get product off the market. Ok, that's bad enough if true, but why aren't the manufacturers running three shifts 24/24 to keep up with demand - it's their profits to be had?? This whole thing of "out of stock" is insane!

2. Remove Ads

This was copied from an email that was sent to me. How true it is I am not sure, but have seen it a few places now. There are reloading components around, but they are scarce.

Be safe!

Subject: REPORT FROM GUNS & AMMO ......

This country is planning on going to war!

Smith & Wesson: Running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages.

RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days.

FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1.

Remington: Maxed out!

Armalite: Maxed out.

DPMS: Can’t get enough parts to produce any more product.

COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by lack of bolt carrier’s.

LWRC: Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can’t get enough gun quality steel to make barrels. Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind.

AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/over 1 BILLION rounds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line.

MAGPUL: Behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon.

RELOADERS: ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra’s for reloading purposes... it could be 6-9 months before things get caught up. Sorry for the bleak news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we’ll keep you posted...

Related commentary from Bob Owens:

They didn’t know when they’d be getting anything back in stock, from magazines to rifles to pistols. Manufacturers are running full-bore, but can’t come close to keeping up with market demand. It isn’t just the AR-15s, the AK-pattern rifles, the M1As, and the FALs that are sold out. It really hit me when I realized that the World War-era M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and Enfield .303s are gone, along with every last shell. Ubiquitous Mosin-Nagants—of which every gun store always seemed to have 10-20—are gone. So is their ammo. Only a dust free space marked their passing. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Every weapon of military utility designed within the past 100+ years is gone. This isn’t a society stocking up on certain guns because they fear they may be banned. This is a society preparing for war.

Barack Obama, Dianne Feinstein and the rest of the Statists have done more to promote gun ownership than the NRA ever did. Well done, Democrats!
    snakyjake, dukalmighty and GH like this.
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by lancen View Post
    why aren't the manufacturers running three shifts 24/24 to keep up with demand
    What makes you think they aren't? The issue isn't really their output. Ammo companies have only increased production since the panic started. It's the demand. I remember it took about 1.5 years for the ammo supply to get back to normal after Obama's first election. It doesn't really make sense since ammo isn't likely to ever get banned.

The problem is gun owners like us clearing shelves of ammo on sight because they are panic buying.
    The next guy comes and sees there's no ammo, so the next time he sees it at another store, he buys it all.

It's a vicious cycle leaving only a few people with a good supply of ammo, and most people unable to find any.
    To prevent people from clearing shelves, sellers raise prices to reduce demand because their supply cannot increase.

To normalize the ammunition market quickly, all gun owners should do these things: 1) don't pay elevated prices (reduces demand) 2) buy what you need, not what you want (reduces demand) 3) when there is no ammunition panic, add to your stash little by little throughout the year instead of buying pallets of ammunition during election times (doesn't spike demand).

I'm fairly unaffected by the ammunition shortage, because long before the panic, I frequently bought modest amounts of everything I wanted at good prices, including my reloading components. As a witness to the '08 panic, I knew it would happen again if Obama was re-elected so I prepared.

Examples of what I bought:
    Three thousand Xtreme plated 124 and 147gr bullets for $70 per thousand at a local gun show, each thousand purchased during different shows last year.
    2.5 thousand of Hornady 55gr FMJs at $70 per thousand face to face from a local guy on a gun forum. The bullets were bought in 2 transactions.
    PMC .223 ammo at $7/box and free shipping from Palmetto State Armory last summer.
    Federal .223 at $6/box at Wal-mart earlier last year.
    Federal 9mm at $10&change/box at Wal-mart earlier last year.

In the future: buy it cheap and stack it deep.
    snakyjake, Sebass and WvHiker like this.

My bullet supplier is getting occasional shipments in and is asking customers to try to buy only what is needed for the next 30 days. If people would try to accommodate requests like this, ammunition and components would become more readily available to all of us much sooner.

Still no small pistol primers, yet, though.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

People are afraid people are going to hoard ammo, so they go out and hoard ammo.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    People are afraid people are going to hoard ammo, so they go out and hoard ammo.
    Guilty, your honor, although I don't actually regard it as hoarding.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    "Stockpiling".
    mano3 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    I have been able to purchase primers, powder and even 22LR in the last week.

If the goverment is buying it good, in a year or two there will be tons and tons of surplus available to us!
    bigmacque likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    You know I work hard to keep my tin foil hat in the closet, and really have issues with most conspiracy theorists. But wouldn't it be a real tragedy if everything from Aurora to Sandy Hook, including the volumes of purchases that the government has made in the past several years, be part of a plan?

I gotta stop drinkin' that stuff ......
    mg27 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Things will slowly return back to normal once this gun ban crap loses steam and isn't talked about as much as it has been lately. Until then we have to just be patient and wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    It's not the people going out and hoarding ammo that cause me to go out and hoard ammo - It's the people who are going out and hoarding ammo because of the people going out and hoarding ammo.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I have been able to purchase primers, powder and even 22LR in the last week.

If the goverment is buying it good, in a year or two there will be tons and tons of surplus available to us!
    So where did you find primers? I can't find it anywhere!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lancen View Post
    So where did you find primers? I can't find it anywhere!
    Local stores! Cabela's, Gander Mountain and both my LGS. They get shipments in every week and sometimes twice.

I have seen boxes of large and small rifle primers ( they limit one box of 1000) boxes and boxes of large pistol. The small pistol is harder to find.
    they have small pistol magnum match. I got a pound of Unique pistol powder for $18.99 the primers are up there at $32.99 for 1000.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    You know I work hard to keep my tin foil hat in the closet, and really have issues with most conspiracy theorists. But wouldn't it be a real tragedy if everything from Aurora to Sandy Hook, including the volumes of purchases that the government has made in the past several years, be part of a plan?

I gotta stop drinkin' that stuff ......
    I dont know why people think its so far fetched. It seems so obvious! Call me the tin man IDC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links