Question on legalities of ammo?

This is a discussion on Question on legalities of ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I live in the Republic of Illinois so I have to be cautious. I am looking for some home defense rounds for my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Question on legalities of ammo?

Hi everyone,
    I live in the Republic of Illinois so I have to be cautious. I am looking for some home defense rounds for my glock 17. I like what I read about the winchester ranger t 147gr and federal 147 hst. Was wondering if these are legal for civilian use. Also I plan on using this ammo when ccw passes with my now ordered xds in 9mm. If these rounds are illegal what else do you recommend? Thanks Peter

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

The rounds that you speak of are completely legal.
    Do some on line research and you will find that there are many good rounds to chose from!

Just because it says law enforcement on them does not make it illegal for civilians to purchase. I got a couple boxes last week. They are not illegal to won because of that IF that is what you are referring to. I like them, lots of people do. I carry them in my 1911 and have been quite pleased with them. I have not shot them in a defensive situation, but they have all gone bang and hit as close to what I wanted to hit as I can make em!

Get em! Unless some Illinois law states that you can not. Most major manufacturers ammo will do just fine. Stay safe.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Re: Question on legalities of ammo?

I was questioning it because every place I looked to purchase them states for sale to law enforcement only. Any ideas where to pick up 2-3 boxes?

I have some of those rounds...a LEO gave me some, says. "Law Enforcement" on the box...means nothing here in FL. I'm sure you're fine, but I would put nothing past the law makers in IL.
    I'm sure some knowledgeable gun owners from IL will soon chime in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They are marked LEO only because winchester only sells them new to LE Agencies and the govt. We have to get them as resale or stock cleanout. With that said if you can get a few boxes stock up, they are a fantastic round and my personal favorite for defense purposes. The 147gr 9mm does a heck of a job on a bad guy. I just gave a friend a half box since I dont own a nine anymore and he was offered 30 bucks for the half box.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

The HST's can be bought new from many different sources. You don't need to get them as LE or Gov't rejects or overruns. The same is true for Gold Dots in the 50 round boxes. I have never bought any of the 50 round boxes of Winchester Ranger ammo which is marked as LE, but I'm pretty confident the same goes for them.
    As to what's legal in your state or locality, I don't know. You would have to do some research on that.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What ammo is legal, or more precisely "illegal," will be stated in your state's statutes, not here on a forum. Check there, not here. Legal opinions will vary here, based largely on the replier's state of residence.

Your state, your laws; Know them.
    Sharkman likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You should have no problem.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Thanks for all the help. I tried reading statutes but it is like pulling teeth, I couldn't find anything ammo related. So to be safe, I just bought some hornady zombie defense ammo in 9mm from midway, it's in stock as of right now, bought 100 rounds for 80 shipped. Thanks

As mentioned, check local (including any trips you might take) and state regs for what ammo is legal.

Carrying LE ammo, or finding out and carrying the same ammo as your local law enforcement carries should at least keep some over zealous attorney from claiming you were using "cop killer" bullets if it ever comes to it.
    steffen likes this.

I bought a box hornady zombie ammo,about a month ago.Just my luck,haven't seen,the first one,to try them on,lol..It's like one said,check your state laws.

Well I cancelled the zombie bullets as they aren't claimed to be personal defense directly from hornady. I just didn't trust putting my wife and my life on the line for something that may be a novelty. So I am still looking for something. If you guys have a lead where I can buy 100 rounds of approved self defense ammo such as gold dots, hst or ranger t, please let me know. Right now all I have is American Eagle 147 loaded in my defense gun as its better than nothing. Thanks Peter

SD ammo is hard to find right now, in 9mm, .40S&S or .45ACP. As others have said, all the major manufacturers make good self defense rounds. Remington Golden Sabre, Winchester Ranger, Federal hydra-shok, or HST. Almost any hollow point will outperform the FMJ you have, but the FMJ you have will do fine in a SD situation.

As far as the "Zombie" ammunition, I have none, but from what I have seen it is the same stuff as the Hornady Critical Defense, just put in a green box and hyped as "zombie" killers.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I am gonna hold out for the 147 gr federal hst. Going with my gut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links