New Gun Owner, Glock 19 Ammo Questions

This is a discussion on New Gun Owner, Glock 19 Ammo Questions within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello! Well I bought my first weapon today and it is a Glock 19, 9MM. The only ammo that was available at the shop (do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Gun Owner, Glock 19 Ammo Questions

Hello! Well I bought my first weapon today and it is a Glock 19, 9MM. The only ammo that was available at the shop (do to shelves being nearly empty) were 158g Fiocchi 9mm Subsonic ammo. I purchased two boxes of 50 just to have some starter ammunition.

My question to you guys is how do you rate that ammunition and what would brand would be good for basic target shooting?

I appreciate any feedback given.

2. Remove Ads

That ammo should be fine for the range. Published velocity of 940, but you are driving a heavier than standard bullet.

Any 115 grain FMJ will be fine for the range. Three months ago, I would have sent you to Walmart for the 100 round boxes of Winchester or Federal. Both are absolutely fine for basic target shooting and they were reasonably priced.

The only thing you have to be concerned with is don't buy anything without a fmj. Glock barrels don't like unplated lead bullets.

Enjoy your first pistol. You picked a good one.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Re: New Gun Owner, Glock 19 Ammo Questions

Congrats on the new Glock! I'm ordering my second on Monday!

Anything that's cheap for plinking. ;-)

In God and Glock we Trust

Congrats on your first gun! Good choice on the G19, I carry a G27 at times myself. As far as ammo, what you bought is an obscure, very heavy for caliber load that is designed for use with a suppressor. We all know and understand how tight it is to find ammo, especially 9mm, these days, but that probably isn't a good round to use to break in your new gun. 9mm is typically 115,124, or 147 grain, most range ammo (full metal jacket or FMJ) is usually 115 grain. I don't know what you are looking to use your gun for, be it home defense, concealed carry, or simply sport shooting, but I do all three and typically use 115gr for fun shooting due to the low recoil and carry 124gr.

Target shooting (in no particular order): Speer Lawman, Federal Champion or American Eagle, Remington UMC, Winchester NATO.

Defense loads are a completely different animal, and opinions are vast. I personally carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P and am currently evaluating Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+.

Again, congrats on your gun, enjoy our sport, and please get some training from a solid NRA certified instructor.

Welcome from Tennessee.

Thanks for the information! I appreciate the feedback in reference to my current ammunition. I certainly will look into some of the lighter grains as you guys have mentioned. I will use up the 100, 158G rounds I have and I'll try not to buy more of those. The store I was at only had that option available so I figured something was better then nothing.

Again I appreciate the information so far and am planning to take a firearms course at the local police academy in the near future.

The one thing I have noticed about my G19 is that it will eat anything! Congrats on a great choice in guns!

VIP Member
    Welcome its a great gun. thats a heavy bullet for the gun but no problems for target shooting. Once you get some 115 gr or 124 gr bullets you will have to learn where they shoot the heavy slow bullets may have a different point of impact.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Yeah that's what I figured, had I done a little bit more research I would have gone with a lighter weight bullet. I am going to use up the 100 158g and try some 115 gr bullets. Just glad to know that it won't blow up my gun :).

my glock has taken all ammo ive put in it but lately all ive found is winchester ammo so any target ammo will work i use hornady critical for carry
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

Welcome and congrats! The only Glock I have is a 26, but it's a fine firearm. I try consistently to buy American Eagle for practice rounds. Made by Federal, very dependable and before all this s&@# started, reasonably priced. I stocked up pretty good a while back, so I haven't bought much lately. Unless absolutely necessary, I have no plans to use Tul, or any other lower quality ammo in my firearms.

Good luck with your new friend. Take care of it and it will take care of you! Practice all you can afford, and then do it again regularly!
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

MJB_17, I agree on the GDHP +P. That's what I carry.
    MJB_17 likes this.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Quote Originally Posted by Honk View Post
    MJB_17, I agree on the GDHP +P. That's what I carry.
    I like that round a lot and it's real world results are excellent. That is the NYPD issue round, say what you want about NYC, but the reality is that the NYPD kill bad guys about once a week and the GDHP is proven to be very effective. Also, I like how the Lawman 124gr shoots/feels virtually identical to the Gold Dot, which is the point. It has a nice 'pop' to it.

Indeed! Welcome to the forum and your first Glock! Golden days ahead for you.
    Sub-sonic ammo? Hey.....if it's all you can find over the counter these days.....that's something of itself!
    Personally......I practice with ammo close to what I intend to carry. Granted.....that's not always possible, especially now. But I believe you're short-changing yourself on the felt recoil with the light loads....even with the Glock.
    With the ammo situation the way it is now, I've got no best suggestions. Work with what you have and always practice. I'm a fan of heavier range loads for practice and lighter loads for PP.........like.....147gr for range and 124g+P for carry.
    That 158gr sub ammo will keep you shooting, but to what end means I'm not sure. Obviously you'll still be generating some brass in the process. FWIW

I usually get the cheapest ammo on the shelf to practice with(or whatever they actually have stock of), that's just me though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links