opinions on copper rounds

This is a discussion on opinions on copper rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at the buffalo-barnes .45 CAP +p low flash, the ballistics look cool, but looks can be deceiving. What are your thoughts?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: opinions on copper rounds

opinions on copper rounds

I've been looking at the buffalo-barnes .45 CAP +p low flash, the ballistics look cool, but looks can be deceiving. What are your thoughts?
    "You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE= .45 CAP [/QUOTE]

.45 A C P the auto correct on this tablet is is turned way up!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I haven't looked into all-copper handgun bullets much as lead bullets have always seemd to get the job done. I know much progress has been made in copper rifle rounds in the last few years. I prefer the weight over velocity.
    dV8r likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What kind of expansion do you get from a solid copper round? Isn't the cost prohibitive?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Ive tested alot of the solid copper rounds and am very impressed with the performance, and expansion, I think they perform better than lead in some cases.. ive tested some of my barnes DPX rounds and they all expanded through 8 layers of denim, and the lead failed to expand, left to right .45ACP, .40S&W, 9mm, and .380Auto all the barnes DPX solid copper bullets..
    DontTreadOnI, msgt/ret and F350_6 like this.

Most of the Copper bullets are good, however in all my testing this brand C.O.P Copper only Projectiles is Junk, Ive tested these and every single one of them fails to expand, into gel, so id stay away from this brand, here is a link to some COP Ammunition 45 ACP+P 185gr SCHP Ammo for Sale | Ventura Munitionss I contacted the MFG of these rounds and sent what I had back to them for testing, they claimed that they got them to expand but provided me with no evidence of them working ( ie:pics or rounds ) so they sent me a few boxes for free so again I tested a couple of boxes and again they failed to expand, so they are only good for putting holes in paper... stay clear of this ammo IMO.... the rounds I tested were in .45ACP... wasnt't going to waste my money on any other calibers from that brand LOL to test

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My SD rounds are CorBon DPX. They shoot very well and are very accurate. I have not conducted any scientific tests with solid copper slugs but I have been using solid copper slugs for deer hunting for about 15 years. They expand well and are very devastating in flesh. I believe the proof is in the pudding, or atleast the pudding it creates.
    smolck likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I've shot two 357 Sig DPX into wet pack and one into gallon water jugs. All expanded fine. The one shot into jugs was in the bottom of the 4th jug for what its worth. I have been hoping someone would do a gel test where I can see actual after results with dpx in 357 Sig but no luck so far.

There was a poster by the name of Janq who posted some good stuff about the idea of the dpx/barnes copper hp's years back in post #11.
    DPX VRS Hornady Critical defense

Quote Originally Posted by pilot101 View Post
    I've been looking at the buffalo-barnes .45 ACP +p low flash, the ballistics look cool, but looks can be deceiving. What are your thoughts?
    You want my opinion? I think they are a great way to wast money and copper. :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    "The Barnes XPB bullet offers some very good performance. It uses a very large, deep hollow-point in a solid copper bullet that seems to have no problems expanding through many barriers. Being a solid-copper bullet, the weights tend to run lighter for equivalent loads when compared to lead-core bullets, but in this case should be of no concern. The XPB is being sold by Barnes as the TAC-XP starting in 2009. There are no differences between the XPB and the TAC-XP, with the exception of changes to the TAC-XP in .44 according to Barnes customer service. The latter bullet was changed to allow for better performance in .44spl loads."

"This load shows excellent performance in all media thanks to its deep hollow point and solid copper construction. It tends to be lighter than conventional ammunition since no lead is used. While it does come in just slightly below 12" of penetration, it is still recommended."

Read more here: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

These are not intended to be target loads. Providing your not in daily gun fights, the extra cost is marginal.

They are one of the only bullets that consistently expands when hitting bone according to brassfetcher.com . I like them.

I prefer a heavier lead projectile... just my opinion.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I'll stick with tried and true lead
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Despite being lighter than I prefer, I like the all copper JHPs like the DPX and Barnes.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links