Which 45ACP HP ammo feeds closest to FMJ?

This is a discussion on Which 45ACP HP ammo feeds closest to FMJ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a "worked" Colt OM, but still don't want to tempt Mr.Murphy when it comes to feeding reliability. That said, what 45ACP HP ammo ...

Thread: Which 45ACP HP ammo feeds closest to FMJ?

Which 45ACP HP ammo feeds closest to FMJ?

I have a "worked" Colt OM, but still don't want to tempt Mr.Murphy when it comes to feeding reliability. That said, what 45ACP HP ammo has a bullet profile closest to hardball?
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

This is the closest profile to FMJRN

45acp230jhpremumc-100-2.jpg

This is the second closest profile

winchester-45acp-personal-protection.jpg

This is pretty decent, too

047700165806.jpg
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Never had a problem with Hornady Critical Defense. Of course, the best EXPANDING bullet (not hollow point) is the Guard Dog EFMJ.

The below linked video is for 9mm, but you get the point. My only gripe with it is that the weights are so low for caliber.

Federal Guard Dog 9mm 105 gr EFMJ AMMO test - YouTube
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Yeah the federal guard dog is a hollow point shrouded by a metallic cap, so it does look and feed like ball ammo but I agree it's less than my favorite round. Great if you want to limit penetration and enhance expansion. I'll also chime in for the Hornady Critical Defense and Duty rounds all feed nicer than most hollow points due to their shape. But if you want a nice feeding great HP you should reload your own with the speer gold dots and select the overall length OAL that feeds best for your gun. Or have your feed ramp tuned by a gun smith to shoot the ammo you carry off the shelf. Luckily my semi-autos all eat anything I feed them with no issues at almost any length or shape. You can also fine tune your feeding and reliability by choosing springs that best match your shooting style, gun and ammo. For example a strong spring and strong +P ammo can strong arm a gun into operating reliably. I would shoot, find the problems and address the symptoms specifically. I wish you the best of luck in any case.

Federal "Guard Dog" is the lighter weight "civilian" version of the EFMJ round. It is not a capped JHP. It expands by collapsing on itself, not by peeling back from the front like a JHP. The "LEO" EFMJ is still available but hard to find. I use it in 9mm (124 gr +P) and .45 (200 gr +P). Found them a while back from Streichers.

The "closest" to FMJ is Cor-Bon's PowRBall round. It tends to be a bit light for caliber, but is loaded very hot.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

The Remington Gold Saber has a very rounded profile, a small hollowpoint opening, and is made of tough brass. The EFMJs are FMJ, but they still have a big flat point. Honorable mention to the Remington JHP with the tough jacket over the lip of the hollowpoint cavity.

I have heard the Hornady Critical series have given some people trouble when the rubber tip catches on a feed ramp, but I have no personal experience with that. I remember in the stone age that everybody who was "serious" carried the old Speer 200gr JHP "flying ashtray" in .45. I learned how to do feed ramp polishing because that load was so hard to get to work. I don't know if it is even still made but it was short, soft lead, and had a HUGE hollowpoint.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

What prompted this was a couple failure to feed(FTF) with some old Hydra-Shoks(check spelling??). My Colt got the Bill Wilson treatment, that feedramp is smooth as_____________________! In my Gov't Model I'd run FMJ, I know Chuck Taylor had many real-world shootings where hardball did the job. The smaller barrel of the OM needs the performance of a HP IMHO.
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The Remington Gold Saber has a very rounded profile, a small hollowpoint opening, and is made of tough brass. The EFMJs are FMJ, but they still have a big flat point. Honorable mention to the Remington JHP with the tough jacket over the lip of the hollowpoint cavity.

I have heard the Hornady Critical series have given some people trouble when the rubber tip catches on a feed ramp, but I have no personal experience with that. I remember in the stone age that everybody who was "serious" carried the old Speer 200gr JHP "flying ashtray" in .45. I learned how to do feed ramp polishing because that load was so hard to get to work. I don't know if it is even still made but it was short, soft lead, and had a HUGE hollowpoint.
    Actually have two boxes of the "Flying Ashtrays"....that is one BIG hole in that round!
    Still Love Ya Sarah !

Powerball

I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Links