I wish I had good news but sorry I thought things were getting better.

I wish I had good news but sorry I thought things were getting better.

This is a discussion on I wish I had good news but sorry I thought things were getting better. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went on my rounds today to get some supplies. Cabelas was a zoo with their spring sale, It started with the parking lot. Had ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I wish I had good news but sorry I thought things were getting better.

VIP Member

Unhappy I wish I had good news but sorry I thought things were getting better.

I went on my rounds today to get some supplies. Cabelas was a zoo with their spring sale, It started with the parking lot. Had to park really far away. The ammo isles that had been stocked piled pretty well as of recent weeks were picked over and empty, no 9mm, no 22Lr, no 223 or 5.56, list goes on. They had the guns spread out in the glass shelves to make it look like they had more. The gun counter was 4 people deep and the salesmen were running around ( They could have used 5 more salesmen). It was not this bad ever in the store.
    Fleet Farm was sold out of everything. They had about six hand guns and one $999.00 AK. they did have some Russian corrosive ammo cans for $209.99.

Gun World was busy also but they got a shipment in of poly ar-15s must have got 15 or so in. Ammo was thin again no 9MM,22LR,....... I guy asked the clerk if they had any 9mm, he said they got it in Thursday night and by lunch time on Friday was all gone. He asked if he came in next Thursday night would there be some? The clerk said no, they don't know when it will come in. The clerk went on to say there had been lines of customers waiting to get into the store every morning before the store opens.

A few weeks ago I said the manufacturers would ramp up production and things would get better but I WAS WRONG SORRY!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Patience, brother. A big part of the problem is that people who used to buy just a hundred rounds of their favorite caliber are now buying several hundred rounds, and dragging their friends and family off to Wal-Mart and other outlets to defeat the intent of the x-boxes per customer limitation. The last time this happened it wasn't this bad and it still took 6 months for the demand to settle down, and about 3 years for the prices to recede.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I'm just guessing but I bet there isn't a whole lot that manufacturers can do to ramp up production, at least not the big manufacturers. Ammunition requires so many components that even if they could crank up production, it probably wouldn't matter because they still have to have the raw materials available to produce with. At some point, there is simply too much stress on the supply chain and things start to break down.

Personally I'd guess it'll take into the Fall before things will have a chance to stabilize, and that would be based on the assumption that the community organizer's administration will give up on 'gun control'; if the feds keep pushing iterations of gun control legislation then it will probably not catch up for even longer.
    Eagleks likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

You know it's tough when people are buying up older odd-caliber guns just to have access to relatively inexpensive ammo. In my area 3 or 4 places even last month had more than one Mosin in stock all selling for around $225. Can't find them anymore and when you do they are up to $400. 400 round spam cans of 7.62x54r used to be available for $80. Now I can't find one anywhere for less than $125. The CZ 52's and Tokarev rounds are going the same way.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Patience, brother. A big part of the problem is that people who used to buy just a hundred rounds of their favorite caliber are now buying several hundred rounds, and dragging their friends and family off to Wal-Mart and other outlets to defeat the intent of the x-boxes per customer limitation. The last time this happened it wasn't this bad and it still took 6 months for the demand to settle down, and about 3 years for the prices to recede.
    Patience about what? If I am shooting as much as I would like, I will burn through my current stash of .45 this summer and 9mm by fall, and will be paying these high prices, anyhow. I have decided to triple my stash as a matter of prudence. I am moving forward under the assumption that this is going to be permanent. If it costs me extra, I can live with it. Rather that than holding on to one or two boxes and not being able to find it anywhere. I say welcome to the new normal. If it changes within three years, I'll enjoy it but I'm not counting on it.
    ThumpKeg likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Re: I wish I had good news but sorry I thought things were getting better.

I hope this isn't the new normal. I bought my first handgun in December and haven't been able to spend nearly as much time at the range as I would like. I had already decided to get a handgun before Newtown, so I knew what I wanted. It's frustrating not being able to shoot it.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
    nicholasv00 likes this.

Pickings were light today. I did pick up a 250 .45 230 gr .
    Saw some 5.56 on line for 1.08 a round Took a pass on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthtrek View Post
    I hope this isn't the new normal. I bought my first handgun in December and haven't been able to spend nearly as much time at the range as I would like. I had already decided to get a handgun before Newtown, so I knew what I wanted. It's frustrating not being able to shoot it.
    I think it is (the new normal), at least for the time being. I'd suspect (hope) that things might cool off over the next couple of months, but with the amount of anti-gun legislation presently before the Federal legislature and the Left's constant pushing, every time the issue makes the news it's gonna push folks back into panic mode.

Interesting times. The Chinese sure knew a curse when they saw one.
    Sky Pilot and GH like this.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    LGS had more ARs up on the wall displays, a bit more ammo on the shelves, but zip in the reloading component dept. This area needs a good reloading store. Hopefully the new Bass Pro that's supposed to open here will be a better source.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Picked up some Remington UMC 40 S&W at Gander Mountain today. They had 4 boxes of 250 rounds per box. Picked up 2 (limit 3 boxes) for $110 per box. Not my favorite round and at $22.50 per 50 rounds a little more than I wanted to pay. Desperate people do desperate things, I was under 100 rounds of .40 prior to today.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Pickings were light today. I did pick up a 250 .45 230 gr .
    Saw some 5.56 on line for 1.08 a round Took a pass on that.
    did you stop by Cabelas in Richfield or Fleet in MF? both crazy busy! yes I saw some 45acp on the shelf but I load that and have plenty of 45.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthtrek View Post

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
    I agree earthtrek, I hope it is not the new normal and It is frustrating!
    Cheesewiz likes this.
    Wyatt Earp

To add insult to injury, that gun store that burned to the ground here last weekend (story in another thread) is estimated to have contained approximately 700 weapons of various types.

Coveting one AR over to 5.54X39 just because I have rounds for it.

Ok folks. I am here at the Tactical Conference and Polite Society Match in Memphis TN. What we are hearing from the Legends and Front Line Experts (some but not all) is that this ammo shortage will likely last until 2017 ( go surf Rangemaster.com to see who is here as they are 3-4 deep in instruction/topics). There are a lot of Gun Company/Manufacturer issues now floating about leaving where they are to more friendly states.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links