Critical Duty 135gr 9mm ammo

This is a discussion on Critical Duty 135gr 9mm ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How does one decide between the standard pressure 135gr vs plus p? In a 4 inch barrel ballistics appear the same. Would love some other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Critical Duty 135gr 9mm ammo

How does one decide between the standard pressure 135gr vs plus p? In a 4 inch barrel ballistics appear the same. Would love some other points of view

MY choice would be to get rid of the critical duty and get something better. I bought three boxes figuring I couldnt go wrong with hornady, but after I found out terminal performance is hit or miss across the ctitical duty line...... I have one boz left after doing my own backyard testing and I was not impressed. As far as choosing between the two..... I would just go with the cheaper one, which should be the standard velocity. I myself dont fret whether I have plus p ammo, and not all guns are rated for it. I have never noted any super awesome difference in velocity between the two in performance, but standard is easier on the hands.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

What was it about the ballistics that you saw that you didn't like?

I personally use the standard critical duty. I am super accurate with it. I have tried regular and +p. I am so much faster and accurate with my follow up with the standard. I have a 4 inch barrel as well. I even use it in my 3.5 inch too. I personally like the critical duty and ran my own tests. I personally was pleased with the results.

The 135gr standard CD is my carry round right now. Not that I have many options, locally I only found 3 boxes of .357

A lot of people do not care for critical duty because they feel it has inadequate expansion. This is something to definitely consider because no handgun caliber is a "man stopper" without a difficult CNS shot. Thus, generally people rely on blood loss to incapacitate an attacker. That is more likely if the pedals expand more and in affect "cut" more (the goal being to hit a major blood vessel).

In general my research has show that expansion and penetration are trade offs, and you need to find what combination you prefer. Faster, and lighter bullets tend to expand more, but penetrate less. While slower, heavier bullets penetrate more but expand less. The CD has respectable penetration, a trait many say 9mm falls short in, however like I said, it leaves some to be desired in expansion.

All in all it has fed 100 rounds flawlessly in my 3.8" barrel, and will continue to be my carry load until the shelves start to fill and I can try some other options. I really like 135 gold dot and look forward to buying some.
    sensei2 likes this.

I have found it to be very accurate but I have been rather unimpressed with its expansion characteristics. From my Glock 22, I spent time shooting water jugs,pumpkins etc. of the 15 or so recovered slugs only 3 expanded completely, and this has been seen again and again by numerous shooters. IMO the petals do not peel back far enough. New Service Caliber Handgun tests - M4Carbine.net Forums

The images in this thread show the same issue I had, lack of expansion compared to other rounds. In every series of images the Critical duty had the smallest expansion. A good hit does wonders but I still want a good hit and a big hole. I would def not this ammo out of a short barreled gun. However, as Phil413tx stated, others have been pleased with it. I am not sure if its an issue with ammo lots or what but this noted internet wide on every forum it seems. I would test it and make sure it meets your expectations before you depend on it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Critical Duty was designed for enhanced barrier penetration, not for enhanced expansion.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Actually a soft lead bullet is the best man stopper. You get penetration and obfuscation. A lead.bullet vs FMJ will not give you a thru & thru due to the deformation of the lead bullet.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

So when would you use standard vs plus p? Isn't realizable expansion important, especially in winter with heavy clothing?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Critical Duty was designed for enhanced barrier penetration, not for enhanced expansion.
    exactly. I am a bit of a black sheep however in that I prefer my 9mm to have more penetration than many of the popular 115gr and 124gr +P rounds that are so popular. If the round cannot get through sternum or ribs, or make a pass through the arm and into the chest, then it will not have sufficient energy to damage any blood vessels. also, and I cannot attest to this, but many people report heavier slower bullets have a more manageable recoil, and result in faster follow up shots. just my 2 cents, i am by know means a rambomarkwhalbergsasgreenberet puffin on a cigar cuz i am so BA

I would be more apt to use plus P in any subcompact of any caliber for the increased velocity to aid exspansion as the very short barrels can have a considerable impact on velocity. As noted the critical duty is designed for barrier penetration, but I have no intention of shooting out winsdshields or through heavy doors and such. Clothing is always important regardless of season, but keep in mind +P ammo had increased recoil usually resulting in longer follow up shot times and possibly decreased accuracy. I prefer accuracy and fast follow up over increased velocity and recoil.
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    So when would you use standard vs plus p? Isn't realizable expansion important, especially in winter with heavy clothing?
    I know a lot of the benefits of +p are lost in shorter barrel guns because the extra expanding gasses just follow out the muzzle and leave a bright flash and a sore wrist. reliable expansion is always important, and clothing plugging up the round can definitely foul up expansion yes. I guess what it comes down to is personal preference. more ft/lbs are delivered in +P rounds given the barrel can take advantage of the round and actually make a difference, but standard pressure are easier for follow up shots, less stress on the firearm, and cheaper

If your defending your loved ones in your home, having the ability to shoot thought drywall may come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    If your defending your loved ones in your home, having the ability to shoot thought drywall may come in handy.
    Why would you shoot what you can't see? Know your target and what lies beyond. You also run the risk of a shot going through the drywall and hitting your family you are trying to protect. There may be scenarios where going through drywall is a good thing, but I would think the downside potential would be worse.
    Fisher10 and sensei2 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Of course. My assumption is you have gathered your family and the home invaders have chosen to engage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links