Make your own hollow points....... ?????

This is a discussion on Make your own hollow points....... ????? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, a friend and I were having a discussion about ammo, mainly the lack thereof. He has been CC'ing for about 6 months and accidentally ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Make your own hollow points....... ?????

Ok, a friend and I were having a discussion about ammo, mainly the lack thereof. He has been CC'ing for about 6 months and accidentally shot both his mags of carry ammo instead of his plinking ammo..... . Now he has a crazy idea that he can make his own by drilling out Some FMJ. He has the machinery to do it and do it consistently, but I said it was a bad idea. I explained all the points I could make.... millions spent on R&D.... proper exspansion..... bullet jacket seperation.... problems feeding..... problems in magazine function.... the very bad idea or drilling a live round..... how deep to drill..... how wide of a cavity..... etc. He thinks if he machines a custom step drill that he will be fine. I even found documentation on bullets seperating to show him, to no avail.

MY question is this.... What is the feasability, the dangers I did not think of, the probability of reliability, proper performance etc. Is this something that anyone would try ? I have vehemently opposed this, and he isnt doing anything until we see what is said. I am all for DIY, but some things should be left to the pros, and this I think should be one of them. Any information ya'll can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have a steak dinner riding on this...... but I am confident I will be eating for free.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Bad Idea.. Just use FMJs as is,, JMO ; )
    H/D
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I suspect the mass lost would counteract any gains. Moreover, will the bullets fly straight with an off-center bore?
    DingBat and Sky Pilot like this.
    "If you are scared you die every day. If you are not scared, you die only once." -Giovanni Falcone

Don't drill on live ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

With a good barrier to hide behind I'd love to see him try it. Keep a camera running for America's Funniest Home Videos though.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Back in the days of cast lead they used to drill them out to make hollowpoints
    bmcgilvray, DingBat and Ghost1958 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I agree, bad idea. Unless, that is, your friend has more fingers than he needs. Myself, I like the 10 I have and plan to keep them intact.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

As it has been stated before, in regards to not using reloads for self defense, an anti lawyer (should he ever have to use his self-modified bullets in a self defense capacity) could easily twist the story to "prove" intentions to kill because your friend made a "more deadlier bullet".

"Obviously, standard bullets weren't deadly enough for Mr._________ intent to kill, so he designed his own bullet to make it more deadly. It is because of this one simple reason that Mr. Dirtbag is now dead. Had Mr.________ used a regular bullet, Mr. Dirtbag would still be alive. You, the jury should convict Mr._______ of premeditated murder."
    Sky Pilot likes this.

He would also likely cause bullet setback while exerting the force on the bullet in a drill press. There's just too much potential for bad stuff. If he needs carry ammo that bad, let me know and I'll sell him a box or two at my cost (pre-crazy stuff).
    hammer2213 and 5lima30ret like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    He would also likely cause bullet setback while exerting the force on the bullet in a drill press. There's just too much potential for bad stuff. If he needs carry ammo that bad, let me know and I'll sell him a box or two at my cost (pre-crazy stuff).
    I told him I would give him a mag of critical duty.... I think it is more of a want to tinker. As far as setback goes, I didnt think of that but it is a good point. With copper being a soft meatal, would it require enough force to drill through to cause setback? Either way I still think it is a terrible idea ......
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

VIP Member
    Carry ammo is not as scarce as the plinking stuff, so if he looks around he should be able to find it. Sounds like he's looking for an excuse to try it.

I did it with .22 LR when I was about 16 years old. Hollowed out the soft lead with my pocket knife and got decent results on pop cans full of water at 10 feet out of my Remington 581.

But it was .22 LR. And I was 16. And I didn't need a drill press. And I wouldn't do it again.
    DingBat likes this.

In response to the lawyer,hollowpoints have less penetration & are less likely to injure an innocent. They are designed to inflict max damage so less shots have to be fired thus less danger to the public.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    In response to the lawyer,hollowpoints have less penetration & are less likely to injure an innocent. They are designed to inflict max damage so less shots have to be fired thus less danger to the public.
    Lawyers are like liberal govt and media, they don't care about facts or truth, just furthering their agenda.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Let him do it ...just don't forget to link the article after something goes wrong, or better yet, make sure we have the You Tube video
    Taurahe, PEF, blitzburgh and 2 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Sounds like he's looking for an excuse to try it.
    I agree... he is a tinkerer by nature hence his want to play.
    ~Daniel Webster

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links