Sellier & Bellot 32acp ballistics...

This is a discussion on Sellier & Bellot 32acp ballistics... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so please no debates on the overall effectiveness of the caliber compared to others.. we've all been there, not the point of the thread. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kilowatt3

Thread: Sellier & Bellot 32acp ballistics...

OK, so please no debates on the overall effectiveness of the caliber compared to others.. we've all been there, not the point of the thread.

So I'm checking out the usual places on the web for ammo.. and I am looking at S&B FMJ in 32acp.. typically this round is rated between 900-950fps and between 95-120fpe. Of course that depends on barrel length and all.. but then I find these three links, and i gotta ask, what the heck gun are they test firing this out of, and/or how HOT are they loading this ammo?!

Ammo .32 ACP Sellier & Bellot 73 Grain FMJ Bullet 900 fps 50 Rounds 31023 states 128fpe

Sellier & Bellot Ammo 32 ACP 73 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 50 states 1043fps and a whopping 176fpe!

50 Rounds of Bulk .32 ACP Ammo by Sellier & Bellot - 73gr FMJ States same fps as midway's website, and 1ft-lb higher energy

I mean holy crap.. those are some specs much closer to 380acp or 38sp loads.. What gives? PLUS, I thought that the Fiocchi FMJ was the hottest Euro loading in this caliber.. But I also wonder about the Herters brand ammo sold by Cabelas.. in 32acp it is made in the Czech Rep. by S&B.. other than the headstamp, it appears identical to S&B branded ammo.

Thoughts?

Senior Moderator
    This is from their website

Sellier & Bellot - Pistol and revolver cartridges

It states a 100mm barrel with is 3.9 inches

The rest you are going to have to convert yourself
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

This might help:

Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal testing Sellier & Bellot 32 Auto 73 Grain FMJ

It looks like the manufacturer's claim of 1043 fps might be a tad inflated. Granted, the test bbl is only 2.7" vs. the factory's 3.9", but the 2.7" is probably closer to most .32 pocket pistols actually out there.

FWIW.
    Ljutic and rugerista like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

converting their figures, muzzle velocity is 318m/s which is 1043fps, consistent with the retailers' website. Converting Joules of energy to ft-lbs, the round produces 177fpe.

3.9" barrel... thats actually pretty darn good for the 32acp. By comparison, Fiocchi Euro spec 73grn FMJ is considered one of the hottest 32acp loads, and out of a 4" barrel it is moving at 1000fps and producing 160fpe. These specs for the 32acp from S&B and Fiocchi are faster than comparable 380acp by 100fps, and are within 20fpe .. difference clearly coming from bullet weights.

its quite surprising, projectile technology has come a long way in 114 years since this caliber was invented. It does not seem to suck AS BAD anymore.

i calculated KE from the figures from the mousegunaddict tests, and came close to the same figures, about 5 more ft-lbs of Energy in my figures.. thats given that their velocity numbers are correct and reasonable. Considering the sub 3" barrel of the gun they tested with (which I also have) the numbers all seem to figure correctly.. makes you wish a 4" barrel was as easy to conceal... that extra 200fps makes a BIG difference to the energy this round produces on impact.

S&B vs. Fiocchi.
    Full Metal Jacket Velocity testing in a Kel-Tec P32 - YouTube

Fiocchi is good stuff, but time and time again the S&B is faster so more energy.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

FYI, based on "Ballistics by the Inch", the generic .32 ACP curves show about an 80 ft/sec drop in MV from 4 inch to 3 inch barrel length.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Just came across this thread because I have started carrying an old FN Browning Model 1922, a 10 shot .32 ACP pistol with a 4" barrel. I'm using european loaded .32, which is far better than anything I have found loaded in the US, and is what the European .32's - 7.65 Browning - pistols were designed to shoot. The .32 was considered effective for police and some military use in much of Europe since before WWI, and they have the respect for it to treat it seriously. The result is their .32 ACP is actually a very usable round. I have the 1922 Browning, 2 Keltec P32's and a Beretta 1935 in .32, and I find that the longer barrel pistols - especially the Browning 1922 - are very accurate at 25 yards.

I have also read that the .32 ACP was John Browning's favorite cartridge. Maybe he was right all this time.

mark

Links