What is what?

This is a discussion on What is what? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know what full metal jacket is but what are the other things, JHP CP ball I am new and just don't know....

Thread: What is what?

What is what?

I know what full metal jacket is but what are the other things,

JHP
    CP
    ball

I am new and just don't know.

2. Remove Ads

Jacketed Hollow Point

Dont know what CP refers to.. are you sure you didnt see it notated such as 45ACP, or 45 A.C.P. ?? ACP is Auto Colt Pistol..

And ball ammo is basically the same as FMJ.. it punches a hole, no more. It doesnt expand (and there are rounds that are not hollow points (HP) that DO expand), it doesnt break apart (frangible) or detonate (incindiary/tracer rounds).. But it isnt necessarily BALL shaped either.

Thank you, i am slowly learning the abbreviations, there is such a learning curve. I have applied for my conceal carry/open carry but am really worried about having to use a firearm for defense. It is major scary. Thanks to all on the forum for increasing my learning. I just wish I could afford ammo, i just started and the price has went from 12.50 a box to over 25 a box, and now can't find it at all. I hope it is like most say here and it is only a supply demand thing and will come back down and be in stock,

Some references to "CP" mean Copper Plated but I'm not sure if that's what you were looking at. Hope you find the answers you are after. JasonJ is dead on with JHP and Ball ammo definitions.

SP=Soft point
    SJHP=Semi Jacketed Hollow point
    EFMJ=Expanding full metal jacket
    CP as mentioned may be copper plated as in .22rimfire ammo or generally found for handloading use in other handgun calibers.
    WC= Wad cutter or full wad cutter
    SWC= Semi wad cutter
    HBWC=Hollow base wad cutter

LRN=Lead round nose
    LFN=Lead flat nose
    TC=Truncated cone
    WFN=Wide flat nose

MJK
    HPBT - hollowpoint boattail
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonthelake View Post
    I have applied for my conceal carry/open carry but am really worried about having to use a firearm for defense. It is major scary.
    I'm not sure if you meant this exactly how it came out, but if using a firearm in defense of your life scares you that much then you should probably get adequate training to feel comfortable using a weapon before you even consider carrying it.

Most of us were where you are once. Just hang around in this forum and you'll pick up a lot. Most gun ranges have rental weapons and also have classes in the proper use of firearms and carry of weapons in your state. Don't worry about asking questions and you'll never be worried about this issue again. A firearm is just a tool same as a club, technology has changed the weapons we use but in the end its all about keeping yourself and your family safe. I would much rather teach you how to effectively handle a firearm than the person just nods his/her head embarrassed to say "I don't know".

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
    Jacketed Hollow Point

Dont know what CP refers to.. are you sure you didnt see it notated such as 45ACP, or 45 A.C.P. ?? ACP is Auto Colt Pistol..

And ball ammo is basically the same as FMJ.. it punches a hole, no more. It doesnt expand (and there are rounds that are not hollow points (HP) that DO expand), it doesnt break apart (frangible) or detonate (incindiary/tracer rounds).. But it isnt necessarily BALL shaped either.
    Cone point
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Think they may have forgot

RB=Round ball ;-)

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by libertylover View Post
    I'm not sure if you meant this exactly how it came out, but if using a firearm in defense of your life scares you that much then you should probably get adequate training to feel comfortable using a weapon before you even consider carrying it.
    It should scare you.
    Hakkaa päälle!

People who have courage, are those who feel the fear but do it anyway.

I just pulled this from Google but it is what I were looking for.

Links