CCI Blazer Brass - 9mm - Page 2

CCI Blazer Brass - 9mm

This is a discussion on CCI Blazer Brass - 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; you can not beat the price. it is hard to reload 9mm for that price. nothing wrong with the blazer ammo, except you can not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCI Blazer Brass - 9mm

you can not beat the price. it is hard to reload 9mm for that price. nothing wrong with the blazer ammo, except you can not use it to reload. go for it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but my concern with dirty ammo (WWB especially) is wear on the barrel due to the HUGE chunks of garbage that are often left in there. I do clean my guns after every session, but I worry about barrel damage while I'm shooting. Is this even a legitimate concern?

Bring a nylon bore brush with you when you shoot. After every 50 rounds or so, give it a quick clean with the brush. Should minimize crud buildup, no?
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

actually, if it's just carbon, I'm not too worried about it. I was thinking that the chunks were brass shavings or something. If that's the case (meaning carbon), I won't bad talk WWB or any other "cheap" range ammo anymore.

I DO have 3 blazer brass rounds that are "compressed" right now. This "compression" is occuring when I cycle rounds through the chamber manually. This has never happened with any other ammo that I've cycled through the chamber. I wonder if the brass isn't being sized to the right dimensions? It just seems like the bullets are too loose in the brass.

I'm working on pics right now!

My gun eats it like cheap pizza. It's good at first, but after a few rounds it gets indigestion.

Hope this picture works! Left to right: Ranger SXT, blazer brass(not compressed), 3 compressed blazer brass, blazer brass(not compressed), hydrashock.

First, clean your microwave, second, those blazers in the middle don't look too healthy
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

the microwave was supposed to be blurry LOL. You just worry about the bullets!

I don't mean to be argumentative, but my concern with dirty ammo (WWB especially) is wear on the barrel due to the HUGE chunks of garbage that are often left in there. I do clean my guns after every session, but I worry about barrel damage while I'm shooting. Is this even a legitimate concern?

As for the blazer brass, I have some right now, and I was cleaning a mag out the other night and noticed that the bullets were seated too deep on three of the rounds that were in it. I threw them away, but if I find any more I'll try to get pictures. My understanding is that a too-deep seated bullet can cause dangerously high pressures. Is this correct?

Thanks!
    The bullet "setback" indicates that the factory crimp is light. Too light for your gun. What kind of gun do you have? My experience is that the feed ramp may need a little polishing as the bullet is hanging briefly on it before it begins to chamber.

As to "dangerously high pressures", this really is determined by how high the pressure is from a standard length round. Yes, bullet setback can increase pressures but the Blazer Brass is not loaded to max pressure by any stretch of the imagination. Chances are you shot some of these "shortened rounds" without even noticing.

Now if you reload any of this brass ((Do not confuse Blazer Brass with the non-reloadable Blazer (aluminum/Berdan primed ammo) it shares a common name with)), and load it to max pressure, you might want to make sure to use a good taper crimp to prevent this occurance.

I will say that this has not occured in my Sig P-229 and I am working my way through a thousand of the Blazer Brass I bought a couple of months ago.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

See the post about 45 getting longer from recoil. I suspect that maybe they've had some bad lots or something. The gun is a Para-Ordnance and the ramp has been polished. You're right, I probably have shot some and not noticed, except maybe the accuracy.

Thanks for the info on pressures though...that will make me a little less paranoid to use the rest of this box of ammo.

See the post about 45 getting longer from recoil. I suspect that maybe they've had some bad lots or something. The gun is a Para-Ordnance and the ramp has been polished. You're right, I probably have shot some and not noticed, except maybe the accuracy.

Thanks for the info on pressures though...that will make me a little less paranoid to use the rest of this box of ammo.
    I don't know if you reload or have access to reloading equipment but if you do, you might try running the rounds through the crimping process. If you don't have a taper crimp die, most 9mm seating/crimp dies will apply a taper crimp. Just back out the seating plug, adjust for the crimp you desire and run your rounds through.

Just remember that the Blazer Brass is "inexpensive" practice ammo and things like this can occur.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Willington View Post
    Made in Brazil IIRC by Magtech, I've fired quite a bit of it through my 5906, went bang everytime. I got a pile of it from an acquaintance at ATK.
    I've got a good bit of 9mm Blazer Brass, including a box right here in my hand. It says "Made in USA" in two places on the box and "... is 100% American Made" in another place.

Blazer Good...Wolf bad

I've shot many thousands of rds of Blazer in 45 and 9mm...great stuff (practice round) and best quality for the money IMHO. It is not reloadable because of the aluminum case.

Now if you want some real problem ammo ...buy Wolf (just read the Forums and ask the gun manufactures if they recommend it...not!).

This is news to me, i hunt deer with CCI Blazer Aluminum 44 Mag 240 grain HPs and with very good results. I don't notice excess carbon when I am at the range with it or when sighting in a new scope either. I actually shoot only CCI Blazer in my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag and i've never come across a hard primer either, just lots of dead deer ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting Coyotes View Post
    I've shot many thousands of rds of Blazer in 45 and 9mm...great stuff (practice round) and best quality for the money IMHO. It is not reloadable because of the aluminum case.

Now if you want some real problem ammo ...buy Wolf (just read the Forums and ask the gun manufactures if they recommend it...not!).
    Say what? My AKM eats Wolf 122 grain FMJ by the 1,000 round packs! I've got well over 27 of those 1,000 round packs, shot through MUCH more than that of Wolf Ammo in my AKM and I can highly recommend that manufacturer. Its HP Ammo is great too, it is all Berdan primed but I clean my gun, don't you? I can with out a doubt say that Wolf ammo has never caused a problem for me!! :D Not even in my Makarov!!

I bought two boxes of .45 230gr ball, and my Springfield 1911A1 did not like it. It'll go through WWB all day, but for some reason Blazer Brass didn't want to function correctly. Also had 2 rounds when i opened the box that had the bullet pushed so far back in the casing i didnt want to try to fire them. My WASR-10 will also eat wolf ammo all day.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links