CCI Blazer Brass - 9mm

This is a discussion on CCI Blazer Brass - 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have anything to say about this ammo? Just found it at Wally for $6 per 50, which is a pretty good price in my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCI Blazer Brass - 9mm

Question CCI Blazer Brass - 9mm

Anyone have anything to say about this ammo? Just found it at Wally for $6 per 50, which is a pretty good price in my area for just 50 at a time. I've heard some say it is dirty and others say the primers are hard, but I want the gospel truth, which is why I'm here at CC!

2. Remove Ads

I've had good and bad its generally Dirty and sometimes groups really well and others more like shooting a shotgun

CCI Blazer range ammo - not too bad

I tend to view CCI Blazer range ammo the same way I do WWB, or MagTech, or any other range ammo - it's an inexpensive commodity and my expectations are set accordingly. It's not very clean, not terribly consistent or accurate, but a great way to get your practice in at an affordable price. Happy shooting.

cw

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The best thing i can say about it is its affordable . The worst thing i can say about it is its affordable ammo , loaded with all the care it takes to make it such , it generaly goes bang, and will land somewhere downrange . As to it being dirty , well you clean your guns after use anyway dont you ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I bought some .40 cal to shoot paper with at the range for around $10 per box.

I functioned fine and I didn't notice any serious acuraccy issues. I could make consistent off hand head shots at a silouette at 25 yds with it.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I've shot a bunch of Blazer Brass in .45. I'm not really a good enough shot to speak to it's accuracy (I probably contribute a lot more to dispersion than the ammo does). However, it's gone bang every time I've pulled the the trigger. For practice ammo I can't really ask for more.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Anyone have anything to say about this ammo? Just found it at Wally for $6 per 50, which is a pretty good price in my area for just 50 at a time. I've heard some say it is dirty and others say the primers are hard, but I want the gospel truth, which is why I'm here at CC!
    no experience with 9mm; but, .38 special and .45 acp has been great

Thanks for everyone's opinion. Since it's $6 a box, I'll try a couple of boxes and see if my gun blows up...

________Edits start here:

Well, I took 150 rounds to the range at lunch and I had 0 misfires through my Beretta 9000. Groups were more than fine. Yeah, it's a bit dirty based on how much particulate I saw everytime I squeezed the trigger...probably would have looked like I was in a Civil War skirmish line! But at $6 per box, I was very satisified.
    Last edited by katmandoo122; November 3rd, 2006 at 01:53 PM.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I actually just got back from putting 200 CCI brass .40s downrange, and my only complaint is that I didnt have more with me out there.

Good range ammo, and great on the wallet.

Hey, you gotta clean anyways.
    Fear No Evil.

I've heard that Blazer CCI (aluminum casing) aren't reloadable due to using Berdan primers? I've been to at least one range where they wouldn't allow it to be fired in their range, but I couldn't get an answer why.

At my local wally world, when they have Blazer brass, it's cheaper than Winchester in the white box, $6 for 50 versus about $6.40 per 50 for the WWB (bought 100 at a time). I have a couple of boxes of the Blazer brass 9mm that I'm looking forward to trying out tomorrow.

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure re the priming - but even if Boxer primed - the aluminum work hardens way too much to allow for sizing, flaring and crimping.

It's very much a one time use deal - and some ranges don't like it and steel because it complicates the empty sorting proceedure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Made in Brazil IIRC by Magtech, I've fired quite a bit of it through my 5906, went bang everytime. I got a pile of it from an acquaintance at ATK.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    The best thing i can say about it is its affordable . The worst thing i can say about it is its affordable ammo , loaded with all the care it takes to make it such , it generaly goes bang, and will land somewhere downrange . As to it being dirty , well you clean your guns after use anyway dont you ?
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but my concern with dirty ammo (WWB especially) is wear on the barrel due to the HUGE chunks of garbage that are often left in there. I do clean my guns after every session, but I worry about barrel damage while I'm shooting. Is this even a legitimate concern?

As for the blazer brass, I have some right now, and I was cleaning a mag out the other night and noticed that the bullets were seated too deep on three of the rounds that were in it. I threw them away, but if I find any more I'll try to get pictures. My understanding is that a too-deep seated bullet can cause dangerously high pressures. Is this correct?

Thanks!

I bought a thousand rounds of it in 9mm because it was cheap. Also because it was reloadable. Shooting the new loads, I didn't find it dirtier than most other inexpensive factory loads. As to wear to the barrel, the "garbage" is just carbon. Whatever I see in my barrel is most likely what is left from the last round I fired. I check my Sig barrel regularly after cleaning and find no visible wear. In fact, some of the original tool marks are still visible on the lands.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

I use the CCI Brass Blazers for range ammo on my .45 , I liked it better than the CCI Alumminum. That was some diiiirrty ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links