.380 Carry type

.380 Carry type

This is a discussion on .380 Carry type within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has finnally found a handgun she looks forward to shooting and actually wants to carry! Ruger LC380. Not wanting to debate the "Inadequate" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: .380 Carry type

.380 Carry type

My wife has finnally found a handgun she looks forward to shooting and actually wants to carry! Ruger LC380. Not wanting to debate the "Inadequate" issue as the first rule of a gunfight is "have a gun". Better this than her .38 at home in the safe.

Concerning defense rounds for this handgun it seems that the choice is penetration or expansion. What are your feelings regarding this? Is there a particular brand that is felt as better than others? I have thought about the time of year, heavy clothes and coats as opposed to summer light dress regarding penetration and expansion.

I understand the choice is ultimately up to us and value your information and input to help in this decision. Of course, we will be purchasing the Zombie Max just in case!

Many 380 ammo tests on this list for you to consider. What's the barrel length on the LC380? It may be more like the Bersa 380CC than the Kahr P380 so any tests done with the Kahr will show what happens at a slower velocity.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Ammo tests
    gottabkiddin and Cory1022 like this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

First thing is WHAT FUNCTIONS RELIABLY in the firearm...

I use the Remington Self Defense rounds in my LCP. So far it has worked flawlessly with PMC also.

Re: .380 Carry type

Wifes LCP loaded with Corbon DPX solid copper bullet, works great..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

i have tried many .380 loads in my lcp and finally settled on Magtech FMJ..it's very difficult to get both penetration and expansion from a .380,go with a FMJ..i found Magtech to be the most accurate..

saa
    All of the LEO that I know and shoot with swear by Speer Gold Dot ammo for a multitude of reasons. If they bet their life on it daily, that's good enough for me. I trust these guys. They range from independent security (the owner does lots of work for the Secret Service with Presidential details), County Sheriffs, local police, and state troopers.

As different as they all are, they all agree on the Gold Dots. I'm with them.
    saa.
    rugergunner and surefire7 like this.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

In my LCP, I carry Speer Gold Dot 90gr. In tests I've seen, it gets over 10" penetration and has reliable expansion. Hornady Critical Defense also has decent penetration for an expanding bullet, but past primer reliability issues as well as feeding issues from the rubber plug in some guns keep me away.

Here's a hog head test by Doc Tac Dad on Youtube: Hog's Head Ballistics - Speer Gold Dot 90gr .380 ACP - YouTube The Gold Dots did great.
    Here's another test with very favorable results from TNoutdoors9: Speer Gold Dot .380 ACP 90 gr Ammo test - YouTube

Thank you all! I'll do some reading and research on your recommendations. Hopefully will find some available to test on her LC380.

GoldenLoki.com

these tests were done with a P3at, so results with an LCP should be the same

FBI standard is 12" minimum, 15" desired

I use FMJ, preferably with a flat point - WWB works fine
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

.380 Carry type

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    GoldenLoki.com

these tests were done with a P3at, so results with an LCP should be the same

FBI standard is 12" minimum, 15" desired

I use FMJ, preferably with a flat point - WWB works fine
    This is solid advice when dealing with the .380 for defense. IMO anyway.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have the KelTec P3-AT. I like the idea of staggering hardball and JHP. I use Buffalo bore, though its quite hot and not comfortable to shoot, under adrenaline I wouldn't feel the recoil anyway. I know this from running a block before shooting at the range. This gives my heart the pumping it needs to generate the shakiness of a real fight, maybe.

As someone who has had a gun pointed at him in urban Detroit...a couple times, NOTHING IS LIKE A REAL FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE. NOTHING.

All the planning and prepping, and training we all do (or should be doing), none of it is enough. You train and plan ahead so that when it happens, you're less likely to crap yourself and all you can do then is hope it plays out ok. When you think you are ready and prepared enough, that is when you know you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    i have tried many .380 loads in my lcp and finally settled on Magtech FMJ..it's very difficult to get both penetration and expansion from a .380,go with a FMJ..i found Magtech to be the most accurate..

the problem with the Magtech is it has inconsistent power load.

I just got my Protector II .380 and am loaded up with 102g Remington Golden saber. I also have some WWB flat point, thinking about alternating that in the mag with the Golden Saber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links