CBC 7.62x51

CBC 7.62x51

This is a discussion on CBC 7.62x51 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I just picked up 150 rounds of CBC 7.62x51 ball ammo at a very good price (given the current conditions). I had never ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Therock1963

Thread: CBC 7.62x51

CBC 7.62x51

Hi All,

I just picked up 150 rounds of CBC 7.62x51 ball ammo at a very good price (given the current conditions). I had never heard of this brand before, but upon casual examination, it looks to be pretty well made. Nice, shiney brass, no dings, symmetrical cases & bullets, etc. It's made in Brazil.

Googling the stuff, I learned a lot. Seems they had some serious issues several years back ('70's or '80's), including a number of kabooms, but it sounds like that was one particular bad batch. It seems that CBC owns S&B and Mag Tech, and most of what I read seems fairly positive for recent manufacture. In fact, a number of reloaders said they are very partial to the CBC brass. Markings on my boxes indicate (I think) it's 2012 production.

Anyone here have any first hand experience with this stuff?

TIA.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    CBC is the one headstamp I stopped collecting for my .45ACP. The majority of it had cracks or cracks starting. I can't recall finding another brand with cracks in any remotely close number like CBC.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    CBC is the one headstamp I stopped collecting for my .45ACP. The majority of it had cracks or cracks starting. I can't recall finding another brand with cracks in any remotely close number like CBC.
    Thanks for the info!

I saw a number of posts on reloading forums where guys really liked the CBC brass - but I also saw a couple where they said the case necks were not hardened, so they would tend to develop cracks after only a couple of reloads. Maybe the softer necks make them easier to reload, but less durable (?). Hopefully, they're at least good for a once-through without problems.

Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Hi All,

Bumping the thread in hopes that some others may have experience with this brand of ammo.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Just bought some CBC 7.62X51 M80

Shoots fine out of my SOCOM-16. Reliable and accurate (about an MOA). Nice looking ammo looks milspec as it is annealed.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Therock1963 View Post
    Shoots fine out of my SOCOM-16. Reliable and accurate (about an MOA). Nice looking ammo looks milspec as it is annealed.
    Rock,

Thanks for the input. I've learned a lot more about the ammo since my original post, and I'm pretty comfortable with it. Good thing, since my LGS has been stocking it pretty regularly lately at an outstanding price, and I've bought a pretty good bit of it!

I've shot a few hundred rounds, and have a little stash on the shelf now. Great for plinking or pest control, and I guess it's not a bad SHTF round, either! My understanding is that it IS mil-spec, and is in fact used by the armies of several countries. Seems a little 'hotter' than most of the other budget 7.62/.308 stuff I've tried.

Thanks again for your comments.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

New production CBC/Magtech should be fine, the old stuff was bad,

I also have 150 rounds I think 50 with 12 and 100 with 13 stamps.

I havn't shot any of the NATO stuff yet so I don't have seperate the brass
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

Sponsored Links