pmm+ ruger p89

This is a discussion on pmm+ ruger p89 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not sure where this belongs so if it is in the wrong place feel free to tell me and I will move it. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sapreaper

Thread: pmm+ ruger p89

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar

pmm+ ruger p89

I am not sure where this belongs so if it is in the wrong place feel free to tell me and I will move it. I own a Ruger P89 and want to make sure it is OK to shoot 9mm+ ammo through it. Does anyone in the forum know the answer to this or where I can find out?

2. Remove Ads

I've used Winchester's Ranger T 124grn 9mm+p in my Ruger P89 with no problems. I tried some Ranger T 127grn +P+ but it didn't give very good results for me. Here's what the "manual" has to say...

The Ruger P-Series pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition loaded to
    U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads, loaded
    in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm x 19, .45 ACP or .40 S & W
    ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards
    is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these
    pistols.

My P89 has been the most reliable semi in my collection. Not so much to look at, but have never had a failure.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

GH
    I'm sure it's okay after reading TSKnight's post above but most will caution about using it to excess. That could take some years off of the life of your gun. Use it for SD & maybe a few mags while practicing to make sure you can compensate for any difference between practice ammo & +P.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    I've used Winchester's Ranger T 124grn 9mm+p in my Ruger P89 with no problems. I tried some Ranger T 127grn +P+ but it didn't give very good results for me. Here's what the "manual" has to say...

The Ruger P-Series pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition loaded to
    U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads, loaded
    in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm x 19, .45 ACP or .40 S & W
    ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards
    is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these
    pistols.

My P89 has been the most reliable semi in my collection. Not so much to look at, but have never had a failure.
    Thanks for the response. I was concerned because of the age of the pistol that it might not be designed to handle the + ammo. I am also glad to see that you find it to be reliable because that has always been a concern for me mostly because of the lower price of the pistol.

You are welcome.

I don't claim to be an expert on much of anything, all I can do is share my own experience.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    ...I was concerned because of the age of the pistol that it might not be designed to handle the + ammo. I am also glad to see that you find it to be reliable because that has always been a concern for me mostly because of the lower price of the pistol.
    Age of the pistol??? It's at most about 20 years old! That is NOT an old gun!

Ruger P-Series pistols are tanks. As TSKnight has quoted, the P89 is rated for 9mm NATO, which slightly exceeds +P pressures. No worries!

I've had my P85 Mk II since 1992 and have never had a malfunction with it.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Age of the pistol??? It's at most about 20 years old! That is NOT an old gun!

Ruger P-Series pistols are tanks. As TSKnight has quoted, the P89 is rated for 9mm NATO, which slightly exceeds +P pressures. No worries!

I've had my P85 Mk II since 1992 and have never had a malfunction with it.
    The pistol is actually just about 20 years old and my concern was not so much the gun being worn out as that I was not sure when they started making the 9mm+P ammo and if it was after this gun was made. It looks like I will be all set if it was rated for 9mm NATO which exceeds the +P ammo should not be a problem. Thanks to everyone who responded.

+P for sure

To the OP, I asked this question to RUGER directly about my P89. (Quote below)

"The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition."

Shoot +P all day, it will not cause an issue.
    ReAp.
    Glock2201 likes this.

Links