Corbon DPX 45 +P 185 Grain Short Barrel Gel test

Corbon DPX 45 +P 185 Grain Short Barrel Gel Test

This is a discussion on Corbon DPX 45 +P 185 Grain Short Barrel Gel Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Full write up on the blog. Pocket Guns and Gear: Corbon 45 Auto +P 185 Grain DPX Gel Test Just the video....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bad Bob

Thread: Corbon DPX 45 +P 185 Grain Short Barrel Gel test

Corbon DPX 45 +P 185 Grain Short Barrel Gel test

Full write up on the blog.
    Pocket Guns and Gear: Corbon 45 Auto +P 185 Grain DPX Gel test

Just the video.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Very disappointing penetration......? :-(
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I think the only reason it didn't penetrate very far is due to the short 3.3" barrel, in all my testing with the Barnes TAC-XP solid copper bullet have been outstanding, and have went much further than what was in the video, the round is a great one and I made the switch to this round after doing all my tests.. my back up is still the very trust worthy 230g Federal HST ...

I don't have the time to go into all the details on the video, but do cover them in the blog. 900 fps vs. 1075 fps has to be the root cause of less than 12" in this bare gel test. I have that called out on the blog. It looks like good ammo, but probably isn't the best choice in a 3" 45. +1 with loydbraun on my personal preference for HST 230 grain or Ranger T +P 230 grain with this pistol.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

well I finally got around to testing the corbon DPX 185g +p .45 out of my G30SF, and I got a measurement of 13 1/8" , Federal HST 230g +p -12 3/4" and in my other block Ranger T 230g- 12.5" so I'm very happy with the results that I got... these shots were into bare gel as well.. all from 10 feet..

I just don't think you are going to get any more penetration than that from an expanding 45 ACP. You only have so much energy to work with and when they expand that big, that is a lot of resistance.
    Ljutic likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I just don't think you are going to get any more penetration than that from an expanding 45 ACP. You only have so much energy to work with and when they expand that big, that is a lot of resistance.
    Yup. They work like parachutes. Big expanding 380s are some of the worst impacted by this.

Sponsored Links