Maximum Expansion ammo

Maximum Expansion ammo

This is a discussion on Maximum Expansion ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://lehighdefense.com/index.php/s...imum-expansion What is everyone's thoughts around this stuff? I came across it at a local store (new to me). To date I have carried Federal's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Maximum Expansion ammo

Maximum Expansion ammo

http://lehighdefense.com/index.php/s...imum-expansion

What is everyone's thoughts around this stuff? I came across it at a local store (new to me). To date I have carried Federal's "Hydra Shok" and now I carry Hornady's "Critical Defense".

So, what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ArmyCop likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You're going to use ammo that's designed to cause intentional increased injury and risk for death? Oh, you are so going to be sued by a hungry lawyer!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Love it when people always assume your going to be sued or found guilty cause of your ammo... LOL... the Lehigh defense ME rounds are neat but not worth the price to carry, I tested some into my gel and, they penetrated around 6" to 8" which was ok, but nothing as good as a regular ole Federal HST or DPX bullet... Id save your money and get something better ...

Interesting...but i will stick with the tried and true major manufacturers for my defensive rounds..... That federal HST//winchester ranger/critical defense round didnt do squat to my body, the leaking holes are natural....said no BadGuy ever.......
    Besides.... that is some pricey stuff, and with the cuts down the sides extending into the cases from what it looks like, I would be afrais that if a round caught the feed ramp it would peel it back.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

OldVet is indulging in a bit of mild sarcasm about the "effective ammunition ditherers."

Some worship at the altar of expansion. Some don't. I like the notion of throwing heavy lead and striving for good hits so any ammunition that touts itself as mega-super expando-matic while using lighter than standard bullet weights at higher than standard velocities won't get my attention.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    To echo what bmcgilvray is saying

I value penetration more than expansion.

I want my bullet carry enough energy when it goes into the target to hit the vitals.

So after shot placement I want penetration, expansion just makes the hole a little bigger which can help if you have poor shot placement
    Taurahe likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

To echo what pgras101 says.

There's nothing wrong with expansion. It's the gravy on the meat and potatoes of accuracy and penetration. It isn't however the main dish of the meal.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Re: Maximum Expansion ammo

Here is a pic of the max expansion in .45

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    OldVet is indulging in a bit of mild sarcasm about the "effective ammunition ditherers."
    Drat . . . exposed! My primary concern is punching a hole of some sort where it needs to be punched. Any expansion is pure gravy.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Hey Lyodbraun;

Looks like the fan off of an old Chevy "stove-bolt" 6 cylinder engine. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com.../216serial.gif
    Hoganbeg, lyodbraun and oldnfat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hey Lyodbraun;

Looks like the fan off of an old Chevy "stove-bolt" 6 cylinder engine. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com.../216serial.gif
    LOL yeah it does.... and reminds me of a propeller as well, I had one of the rounds I've tested have a pedal break off it and come out the side of my gel block, I could always use those rounds after testing as throwing stars LOL now that I look at them... the edges on them are nice and sharp...

i shoot win. ranger, if it expands in the body, cool, if not, its still a .45 230g bullet hitting you with enough energy to make SURE you feel it.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    8" of penetration is not enough and I would not waste money on something that cannot do what I need it to do; that is, 12-17 inches of penetration. Once I have that, I would like as much expansion as I can get, but penetration is required while expansion is merely desirable.

If you haven't yet done so, you should read the full report on the FBI Miami shootout that led to these conclusions. It is a valuable lesson in tactics and bullet selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    8" of penetration is not enough and I would not waste money on something that cannot do what I need it to do; that is, 12-17 inches of penetration. Once I have that, I would like as much expansion as I can get, but penetration is required while expansion is merely desirable.

If you haven't yet done so, you should read the full report on the FBI Miami shootout that led to these conclusions. It is a valuable lesson in tactics and bullet selection.
    This is why I wouldn't carry it as well, the penetration sucks due to its huge expansion, there are some testing videos of it on youtube right from Lehigh defense. Mike Cyrus with Lehigh Defense tests the 45ACP ME - YouTube

Unfortunately, some of us old muddogs (LEOs & EMTs too) have seen the actual effect of a well-placed .45ACP FMJ. Double-tap to COM is more than enough to stop a threat.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links