Personal minimum ammo stash? How much is not enough for comfort?

This is a discussion on Personal minimum ammo stash? How much is not enough for comfort? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the weekend I was hanging out with some friends when a buddy commended that his stash of 40 caliber is below is minimum comfort ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Personal minimum ammo stash? How much is not enough for comfort?

Personal minimum ammo stash? How much is not enough for comfort?

Over the weekend I was hanging out with some friends when a buddy commended that his stash of 40 caliber is below is minimum comfort level. I figured this meant he had two hundred or so rounds available. Much to my surprise, it meant that his stash was under 1000 rounds. His 40 is his daily carry gun, so I would understand the need to have a decent supply, but his minimum stash dwarfs my entire supply right now. But he likes to have a bit of everything on hand just in case. If fact, his stash of 9mm was more than twice what I have and it is not his daily carry gun.

What is your minimum threshold number for your personal ammo stash, for your primary daily carry gun? I know we all want more ammo, but how much do you think that you should maintain?

After thinking more about it, I think that his 1000 rounds might be right on. But I guess a part to is what would be the break up between defensive and FMJ? 70/30? 50/50?

2. Remove Ads

In 9mm (carry gun) 400-500 rds fmj for practice and about 100 rds of defensive ammo
    For my 30/30 about 80-100 rds
    For my 22lr, I try not to let a box of 500 go below about half before I start to think about resupply
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I think 2000 rounds a year is a minimum for my EDC practice. I will severly restrict my shooting if I fall below 3000 rounds as thats my SHTF stash. I have 8 years worth of 9mm ammo on hand. Just bought a 45acp 1911 so im trying to build that supply up. Im thinking a minimum of 5000 rounds to get me through the shortage. Lucky for me the owner of my range in a commerical reloader so he is helping me reach my goals. When you need ammo the most there might be NONE availabile. once the madness is over stock up as much as possible as often as possible.

The price of AMMO never goes down unless you buy in a panic. I have over 2000 rounds of SD 9mm and 1500 rounds of SD 45acp. Enough for me, my 2 Y/O son and his son. Restrictions and taxes on ammo will NOT affect me.

I would LIKE to have 1,000 a piece for the handgun calibers and 250 or so for the 12 gauge. Granted with the current situation I'm sitting at about half that right now.

VIP Member
    5000 rounds minimum for my edcs. That is about two weekends at Tactical Defense Institute and two-three months of normal shooting.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

as much as I can afford to pay for. Before all this madness started I used 100 rounds of 380 ammo a week, every week. So I buy ammo when I can find it however I am not a counter of ammo I just buy when the price is right.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

All my ammo, along with my guns, were lost in last years tornado / flood / hurricane / earthquake
    Cheesewiz, MJClark and 4myfam like this.

Distinguished Member
    My old comfort level was 500 rd minimum. Now it's probably more like 1000 rd minimum. My current stash level is around 2000 (give or take 200 rds) at last check. I have dropped my range visits to about once every 6+ weeks. It used to be about every 3+ weeks before.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

If your concerned then you do have enough. If you have to put an addition on the house to hold it you may have enough.
    NONAME762 likes this.

I used to have about 3,000 rounds on hand in various calibers, but shortly after I lost all my guns in a freak boating accident, all my ammunition seems to have gotten swallowed up in a sinkhole.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

just got 1000 rounds in the mail so im up to 1500 now it feels good having all this practice ammo ill keep adding when i go to walmart but im content now and fee good about going to the range and having enough left oover before i find more ammo

1 MILLION rounds!!!!

Joking.

Right now I like having 1K+ rounds of 9mm. I currently have about 2K rounds. I also have about 1K rounds of .45 acp and 5.56. I have about 5000 rounds of 22lr. I then have a few hundred of 30-30, 7.62x31, and .308 thrown in there. Same thing of a few hundred rounds for my 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotguns. Mostly bird shot. I need a few more rounds of buck for both of them.

Where I am is close to my minimum I like to keep.

Re: Personal minimum ammo stash? How much is not enough for comfort?

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I used to have about 3,000 rounds on hand in various calibers, but shortly after I lost all my guns in a freak boating accident, all my ammunition seems to have gotten swallowed up in a sinkhole.
    Those darned sinkholes.

Right now I have roughly 800 rounds of 9MM, my primary daily carry. That is split approximately 650 rounds of FMJ and 150 rounds SD.

This is nowhere near enough given the current conditions. Once things get back to normal I plan to get my stash to between 2,000 and 5,000 rounds.
    ironmike86 likes this.

1000 for each weapon (meaning 4 9mm Glocks = 4000 rounds)

Right now I only ave about 2/3 of that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links