What Ammo Shortage?

This is a discussion on What Ammo Shortage? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Made the rounds (four stores) 3 of the last 4 days and came up empty, at the last store I was talking to another guy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: What Ammo Shortage?

What Ammo Shortage?

Made the rounds (four stores) 3 of the last 4 days and came up empty, at the last store I was talking to another guy who was looking for ammo. He said he heard that an employee at one of the stores was buying all he could with a couple of buddies and putting it online. I came home and went to Gun Brokers (which I happen to like) and found there is no ammo shortage. Thirty-two pages, you can find any kind you want except reasonable priced. Now this peeves me.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I am new to the handgun world and bought my first 9mm last week. I have been unable to find ANY ammo at the LGS, pawn shops, etc. Online, the least expensive I have been able to find is about .78/rd for FMJand .90 for TMJ. I am going to wait for the madness to subside.

I hate waiting.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Dang Capitalist. Two chioces, don't buy it and hope he gets stuck with a bunch of ammo he can't use, or buy it and be part of the problem. I don't really blame someone for trying to make some money, I just don't want to participate. I makes me feel good when I have something or for access to something that turns out to be lucritive.
    mano3 likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

i only buy if i find it at a store that has it reasonably priced and even the reasonably priced is above what i use to pay before this madness...i REFUSE to go on gunbroker because everything is overpriced and people are taking advantage of other people. its ridiculous.

good example is the S&W Shield...should be selling for 300-400$ and they are going for 650$ on there
    Glock 23 Gen 4
    Bravo Company AR-15

About a month ago I stopped by a Walmart on the way home and was chatting with the clerk in sporting goods. He indirectly admitted to buying ammo as it came in and selling it online. I had a strong impression he was hooking up friends with the same deal as well.

Just watch though. There will be a few here and there buying the ammo at high prices, but not nearly enough to unload all of the profiteers. They will keep underbidding to sell their investments and in time it will be on the shelves again and they will be stuck with it...not that it is a bad thing to be stuck with.

VIP Member
    I know of a older retired man that is at wal mart when the ammo goes on the shelves. He buys all of it every week. If he does not get it first another guy gets it. None left for us working people. Another person tells me that it is taken to a LGS an resold. That's where it's all going in my area anyway.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Just checked Gun Broker and found 400 Remington .223 FMJ 55 grain new brass 223 ammo for $384.99 which equates to 96 cents a round the price does not include shipping costs.

I picked up the same ammunition at my local gun shop for 75 cents a round tax included and no shipping charge.....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I had a "buddy" who had some .223 ammo. I told him I would buy it all. Then he said $1/round. He is no longer my buddy.
    OPFOR and sixgun like this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I had a "buddy" who had some .223 ammo. I told him I would buy it all. Then he said $1/round. He is no longer my buddy.
    There is an old saying....."If you can't screw your friends who can you screw"........

Outside of a used car salesmen when was the last time you were screwed by a stranger???
    TrevX and mano3 like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I know of a older retired man that is at wal mart when the ammo goes on the shelves. He buys all of it every week. If he does not get it first another guy gets it. None left for us working people. Another person tells me that it is taken to a LGS an resold. That's where it's all going in my area anyway.
    How does he manage that? At the WM's here you can only buy 3 boxes per day. Do they have different rules where you are? I can see how you could probably double back next shift and nab a couple of daily limits but I don't see how he's getting everything they have.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwheels View Post
    Made the rounds (four stores) 3 of the last 4 days and came up empty, at the last store I was talking to another guy who was looking for ammo. He said he heard that an employee at one of the stores was buying all he could with a couple of buddies and putting it online. I came home and went to Gun Brokers (which I happen to like) and found there is no ammo shortage. Thirty-two pages, you can find any kind you want except reasonable priced. Now this peeves me.
    Yep, and until people quit buying it at that price.... they are going to keep getting it and selling it. When they stop buying it..... they won't want to get caught with extra inventory and money tied up in something they may not be able to get rid of, and then prices and supply will normalize.
    dukalmighty and phreddy like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by trackstarpre View Post
    i only buy if i find it at a store that has it reasonably priced and even the reasonably priced is above what i use to pay before this madness...i REFUSE to go on gunbroker because everything is overpriced and people are taking advantage of other people. its ridiculous.

good example is the S&W Shield...should be selling for 300-400$ and they are going for 650$ on there
    The Shield has a retail price of $429.00, so saying that they are "supposed" to sell at $300 to $400 is incorrect, at best.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

I just reloaded 400 rounds of 9mm 125 grain lead round nose for a guy I know for $15 100,he told me he saw a guy at the Gun Show had broken down bulk packs of 22LR put 50 in a baggie for $9.00 for 50,so he is selling it for almost a 500% markup,friend told him you better hope people don't remember you when the BS is over.
    I got a friend coming by to buy up several hundred rounds of 200 grain Lead round nose 45acp for $25 100 and some 223 with homemade swaged bullets for $30 100 while I install a free float picatinny quad rail on his piston AR at no charge.You don't find too many people like me around anymore I guess my Dad raised me right even tho I wandered off the path a few times in my life
    phreddy and OPFOR like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

just like the last time when prices when past a point. i will remember the ones that went overboard with their prices and will not spend my money with them when the prices come back down. i hope others will also. it should work it self back down by the summer. if it don't they you know the gun control group plan has work. they know they can not get the all the guns, but control the ammo is how you stop the guns.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I found a website called GunBot find 9mm ammo in stock. it posts the prices on ammunition and who has it. Yesterday 3-18-13 I saw 9mm FMJ for 27 and 28 cents each. I was having internet problems and did not get to order any but almost every day you can find reasonably priced 9 mm. I am sure some of the other calibers will have reasonable prices also. About an hour ago Cabellas had Herter Brand 50 quantity 115 FMJ 9mm for 14.95 per box with a limit of 5 boxes. I have not bought any home defense ammo but there is some of that posted also.
    Lightweb likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links