Hydra-Shok Low Recoil - only things on shelf...less gun powder?

This is a discussion on Hydra-Shok Low Recoil - only things on shelf...less gun powder? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw these the other day...the ONLY 9mm rounds on the shelf. Obv hydra-shok is a reputable round, but then it said on the box ...

Thread: Hydra-Shok Low Recoil - only things on shelf...less gun powder?

Hydra-Shok Low Recoil - only things on shelf...less gun powder?

I saw these the other day...the ONLY 9mm rounds on the shelf.

Obv hydra-shok is a reputable round, but then it said on the box "low recoil". so, does this mean it's normal recoil or is it like the opposite of +P?

Is it packed with less powder, meaning that the velocity and power is lower?

2. Remove Ads

Federal seems to love marketing their self defense retail packaged ammo in all calibers as "low recoil". It is lighter in weigh (grains), flies faster, and is low on recoil at least in 9mm and .40 which I have used. I've only ever seen it in 20 round boxes being sold at $1 or more a round just like Guard Dog, or as I call them "chump boxes". My guess is that they are loaded to a lower pressure which reduces the recoil impulse. If you can't find anything else and absolutely have to get a JHP round, it is a valid choice, I dabbled with that and some others but then realized how much of a better choice the LE 50 round boxes of more common weights are. These days, for 9mm I only buy Ranger, Gold Dot and SXT in either 124 or 127 grains.

If the bullet weight is the same as a full power load, they probably reduced the charge. Otherwise, they'll keep the same charge and use a lighter bullet.

Hydra-Shoks aren't that great in the first place, and when pushed at lower velocities I image their performance wouldn't improve... But they're still a much better choice than FMJ.

I believe I recall seeing a gelatin test for that round, or same type in another caliber on Youtube. It reminded me not to get in the way of hydroshock rounds.

Not sure if this is the same round you are talking about...

9x19mm Luger Federal 124gr +P+ Hydra-Shok vs Ballistic Gelatin - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by aogiss View Post
    I believe I recall seeing a gelatin test for that round, or same type in another caliber on Youtube. It reminded me not to get in the way of hydroshock rounds.

Not sure if this is the same round you are talking about...

9x19mm Luger Federal 124gr +P+ Hydra-Shok vs Ballistic Gelatin - YouTube
    That is very misleading as that is not even close to the round that the OP inquired about. That video is a 124gr +P+ HydraShok, the Low Recoil variety are 105 grain at standard or lower pressure.

I wonder sometimes if it's psychological .... if I tell you it is, then you will think it is.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Keep in mind, the shot placement is just as important as the projectile..

the bullet weight was actually 135 grain which is interesting since i've only seen hornady use that weight.

I have shot the Federal 9mm 135gr "low recoil" Hydra Shoks, and still have some in the safe. The low recoil thing is just marketing. It is a standard pressure round, and has the same recoil as any of the standard pressure 147gr rounds I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by jkurtz7 View Post
    I have shot the Federal 9mm 135gr "low recoil" Hydra Shoks, and still have some in the safe. The low recoil thing is just marketing. It is a standard pressure round, and has the same recoil as any of the standard pressure 147gr rounds I shoot.
    really? you'd think they would lose sales (like mine) because it was "low recoil".

just saw this, click 9mm for caliber, hydra-shok for type and there are 3 types of bullets

the low recoil is the (LR). it is hardly slower than the 124gr and has more ft/lbs of energy than the 124gr still. seems like it's packed the same.

Federal Premium Ammunition - Handgun

I've shot all three HS loads, they all recoil about the same really. Not snappy at all.

Links