10mm Spent Brass

This is a discussion on 10mm Spent Brass within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got my 10mm out to the range this weekend and shot a few rounds. (Glock 20SF) I picked up my cases and started ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: 10mm Spent Brass

10mm Spent Brass

So I got my 10mm out to the range this weekend and shot a few rounds. (Glock 20SF) I picked up my cases and started inspecting them and noticed a few things. First off was the bulge on the ammo. While this isn't necessarily "glock smile", the whole glock smile thing has me worried (and probably over-thinking it).

The other question is that most of my cases have a dent in them. I don't know if this is normal break in for glocks or if I have some tuning to do. I have a lone wolf barrel coming (eventually) which may help with both, but didn't know if there was anything I'm overlooking.

Case.jpg

2. Remove Ads

I noticed some of my spent ammo casings from my glock 21 gen 3 had a little dent here and their like in your pics only a few and havent seen any more and i took it out yesterday and shot 50 rounds of pmc through it. so i dont know. hope you figure it out keep me updated with what you find out

I think it is the glock barrel.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Glock barrels have looser dimensions that favor overall reliability, not gentleness on brass.

If you're going to be shooting hot loads or reloading, an aftermarket barrel will give you better case head support.

VIP Member
    Interesting, never had anything like that from my Delta Elite.
    Stevew likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I would resize a case in your resizing die,then insert the empty case into the chamber if it inserts without any problem they are fine to load,the problems I have had with cases is a very significant bump/dimple at the base and during resizing is causing that dimple to be squeezed into a line that will keep the case from chambering and will actually jam your gun up,I've had to use a flat blade screwdriver inserted between the barrel and chamber to force the slide back and extract the round,It happens with 9/and 40 and its not just unsupported chambers in Glock barrels,I've had it happen in a friends Taurus 92,I now visually inspect every case and toss the ones with the bulge
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If my plan was to shoot reloaded brass from a gun gun with a generous chamber I would get a new barrel for it. If it proved 100% reliable with the after market, close tolerance barrell I would use the after market barrel for everything.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thanks for the input guys. I have an aftermarket barrel or order becuase I do plan on firing cast bullets as well as reloading this brass. I guess my main question, which I didn't articulate too well, is if the case deformatino is "normal" in this case.

With regards to the case dent, these are the first 5 cartridges I shot so it could be a break in. I'll go through some of my other brass to see if it worked itself out as it did with with Gallardo's G21. And if not, maybe I'll wait until I get the new barrel and see how much better extraction and ejection is.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can't see the bulge in the photo, or a dent, but dent's aren't an issue. ARs do it all the time. What sizing and flaring doesn't remove, firing will.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with Oldvet, the dents will come out from the pressure of being fired. They might get dented again upon ejection. Bulges, especially if they are down around the case head are different. I do not reload cases that are bulged around the case head. My G22 bulges brass pretty bad near the case head. I will shoot handloads in my G22, but I do not reload brass from that gun. It gets discarded.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Bulges, especially if they are down around the case head are different.
    I'm not to worried about the dents on the side on their own, but rather as an indication of a possible issue with the gun. The case head bulges are my primary focus.

Both my books say the exterior width should be 0.423. At the mouth, my fired cases are 0.424 but at the bulge, its 0.436. I've only reloaded revolver brass so I'm used to uniformity, since this is the first semi-auto I'll be reloading for, I didn't know if that would be considered too much bulge.

Links