Is this a good deal on ammo?

This is a discussion on Is this a good deal on ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my first 9mm and not been able to shoot it yet because I can't find ANY ammo locally. If this a good deal? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is this a good deal on ammo?

I have my first 9mm and not been able to shoot it yet because I can't find ANY ammo locally.

If this a good deal? 9mm, BVAC, 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Bullet, 50 Round box 21.97/box plus shipping. Shipping on 5 boxes is 15.47. Total $125.32 for 250 rounds so .50/round. No tax since I don't live in MT.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

50 round boxes of fmj ball ammo are going for around 13-15 bucks, (IF...BIG IF... you can find any) so 50 rounds of jhp ammo for 22 isn't horrible.
    I wouldn't be scared to get a couple boxes just to get your new gun dirty, but I would wait for a better deal to stock up.
    bigmacque likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I just got some 115 gr FMJ Friday at the LGS for just under .40/round but could only get 2 boxes. That being said it does not do you any good if your LGS does not have any. That is not a great price for practice ammo but if you don't have any I would go ahead and buy the 5 boxes just so you can shoot your new gun and hope when you need some more you can find a better price. What you are looking at is JHP which can be used as a SD round as well.

Not a terrible deal, IMO. It kind of depends on whether it is new or remanufactured ammunition.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

There is a web site called: Gunbot. You can check there to see who has ammo and where to get it. Prices are all over the place and the good deals go fast. Good Luck!

Well, I bit the bullet (pun intended) and ordered 250 rounds (1 box for another guy here at work). Not happy about the price, but I do want to get it dirty. I will keep looking for better prices because I don't want to add to the buying frenzy.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    Well, I bit the bullet (pun intended) and ordered 250 rounds (1 box for another guy here at work). Not happy about the price, but I do want to get it dirty. I will keep looking for better prices because I don't want to add to the buying frenzy.
    That price is still a lot cheaper than a lot of the stuff out there right now. Unfortunately it is not much more to ship 5 boxes than 2 so you do not really have much choice but to buy the 5 boxes. If you only bought 2 it would probably bring the price up to around .65 per round.

Cheaper Than Dirt currently has 9mm Speer Lawman TMJ 124 Grain 50 Round Box 1090 fps Practice and Plinking Ammunition for $29.59, so you didn't do so badly.

Buy it, its what you can get right now yes its overpriced normally but its not going to kill you. before all this shortage and what not UMC 250rnd 9mm was about 70 dollars at walmart.

I've still been finding 9mm FMJ at my local walmart occasionally for $14/50 rounds. They are only getting it once in a while, though, and limiting to 3 boxes per customer. That's a decent price for JHP right now. I can't find any of that at all locally in recent times.

For anyone interested: BVAC 9MM JHP 124 Grain 50 Round Box New Components

They show to have 34 boxes left.
    -- Steven Wright
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

If I owned a gun and no ammo, I would buy it. If I owned a gun and no ammo and it was $3.00 per round I would buy some, might not be but a mag full, but I would buy some.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    well, it's about double what it was, but in this era of the witch hunts, it's not unexpected.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

As of right now BVAC 9MM JHP 124 Grain 50 Round Box New Components is down to 13 boxes.

50 rounds of jhp for that price isnt bad at all. Usually its that or more for 20 to 25 rounds. Fmj on the other hand would be to much Imho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links