Buying Ammo

This is a discussion on Buying Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am I crazy for buying ammo for a gun I don't have? In my local Walmart today picking up a few things, hit the ammo ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Funkybassplayer
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Buying Ammo

Buying Ammo

Am I crazy for buying ammo for a gun I don't have? In my local Walmart today picking up a few things, hit the ammo section to see whats new and I stumbled across some Winchester white box 100 rd value packs in .45. As previously mentioned I do not currently own a pistol in this caliber however I am saving my pennies for a Springfield XDS. Does it make sense to buy ammo for a weapon you 'plan' on getting but don't have yet? Am I getting carried away? Please...your thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

If you plan to buy one, I see no problem with that. However, if you don't, I'll be glad to take them off your hands for what you paid Plus shipping of course LOL
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

If it's in your budget sure. The last White Box I got from Wally World was about $35 for 200 rnds in .40S&W. Now all I see is just shotgun ammo.

There's a nut around here buying all the 22 ammo he can find, and he doesn't have a 22. He hits all the walmarts and buys what he can.

Why, no idea unless he is reselling it.

You can always trade it or barter with it.

-BTO-
    Snub44 and NONAME762 like this.
    -BTO-

Sure, nothing wrong with stocking up if you think you'll get a .45 down the road. Salt away a bit here and there when you have some extra cash, then when you get the gun you'll be all set! You won't need to scramble for ammo or blow your budget.

FWIW, I wish I'd have done that with 5.56 ammo. A few weeks ago WM had 500 round packs of TulAmmo 5.56 steel case for $140! That's cheaper than it was a year ago! I passed on it because I don't have a 5.56 at the moment but now I'm kicking myself; I do have buddies that would have loved to get their hands on it. I wouldn't have even wanted to make money, just hook up some friends who can't find any.

if you got the money and you are looking at buying a gun in that caliber then there is no reason not to buy ammo when you find it. but come to think about it ammo is getting like gold. instead of goldline we should start ammoline and sale ammo like they sell gold.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    It makes much more sense to buy ammo for a firearm you are going to acquire than to buy a firearm you cannot get ammo for.
    Glock2201 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It makes much more sense to buy ammo for a firearm you are going to acquire than to buy a firearm you cannot get ammo for.
    No problem with doing that. As long as you don't go buying up hundreds of dollars of ammo for it. If you are saving pennies to buy the gun there is no sense spending all your pennies on ammo for it but not a bad idea to get a couple hundred rounds of practice ammo and maybe 50 rounds of SD ammo before you buy it.

Good move. Pick up a box here, box there as you find it and before you know it you will have a good stock. The next time this happens, you can sit back and ride it out.

I don't see a problem if you gonna buy gun reasonably soon. Crazy ammo prices are dropping as the supply seems to be coming back a bit. What I passed on a couple weeks ago has been available at prices I would pay this week so as soon as the weather cooperates I'm off to the range with my new expendables.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

I'm doing the same thing. I don't have a .45 yet, but I'm picking up some ammo here and there so that when I do get one, I'll be ready to rock. If I go to buy ammo, and they don't have what I want, but they do have .45, I just buy them instead. I received a $600 gift card from work for my 30 year anniversary, so it's going towards a new gun. Hopefully, a M&P 45 compact if I can find one, but a full size will work too.

i think it is a really good idea. better having ammo now then when you do end up getting the hand gun, no ammo being available and its just sitting there with no purpose lol

good job! i wish i would have been doing that with 5.56 before i bought my AR-15 :(
    Glock 23 Gen 4
    Bravo Company AR-15

Links