Strange Days With Ammo

Strange Days With Ammo

This is a discussion on Strange Days With Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Awhile ago, I opted to go with 9mm for my edc setup. One of the main reasons was what seemed like the nearly-universal availability of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Strange Days With Ammo

VIP Member

Strange Days With Ammo

Awhile ago, I opted to go with 9mm for my edc setup. One of the main reasons was what seemed like the nearly-universal availability of ammo. Walmart, Dunhams, the LGS, etc would always have .45acp and 9mm in stock, even if they had little else. Since the current run on ammo, up has become down, yes has become no, and 9mm has become virtually non-existent. I have bought exactly 200 rounds of it since the stampede began, and I check regularly. Given that, I ordered several hundred rounds from a local reloader the other day. He told me he is running about two months behind on his now-expensive 9mm, but he would put me on his list.
    I have been carrying my 10mm S&W regularly lately, so I decided to switch my order with him from 9mm to 10mm. I called him to ask him prices and wait time on a particular load. He announced that although the load I was looking for was a long wait, he had old stock on hand and ready to deliver. By the time I was done, I had scored 500 rounds of jhp, jacketed flat nose and cast lead rounds for considerably less than I would have paid for 9mm. Who woulda thunk that 10mm would ever be easier to find and cheaper to shoot than 9mm?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

...some is lots better'n none...have you searched the nets for more affordable 9mm han the LGS might have? if things get rowdy, there will be a lot of 9mm "donated" by those who come to play, but I'd do what I could to get ahold of 4-500 rounds...

...great that you could find 10mm...I haven't seen a box in a store for months...

This is why I do not believe in "standardizing" on a caliber. I run .22, .380, .38, 9mm, and .45. Chances are I can find something, if it came to that.
    Snub44, gasmitty and kerberos like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Its amazing. 9mm is more expensive than some 45 10mm and ive seen it run more than some 357. Im glad I reload 9mm or Id just trade mine for a 45. This frenzy is getting way outta hand.

...with the high cost/low availability of primers/brass...is it really cost effective to reload??? I haven't since the 70s, and I'd have startup costs...but round-for-round...how do they compare to factory ammo at pre-crazy prices...we used to (2009) buy 50 rds of CCI Blazer alum case for 9.99...use that as a normal...

Right now, using components I already have on hand, my cost for 9mm is approx $6.85/50. At the current costs for components, when they can be found, my cost is approx $10.50/50.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

the ammo problem is out of control. i hope it will get back to normal.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

...thanks...well worth reloading...haven't compared in almost 40 years...
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Right now, using components I already have on hand, my cost for 9mm is approx $6.85/50. At the current costs for components, when they can be found, my cost is approx $10.50/50.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I run 38, 9mm, 40, and 45. I have had luck finding 38 and 40 on several occasions of late. The thing that irks me is the lack of small pistol primers. I just went through my last 1k and have been looking for the last 3 months to no avail.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Senior Moderator
    These are strange days indeed.

I was at the range the other day, and a freind of mine commented that he had shot 200 rounds of .45 and just one box of .22.

"Dont you have that a bit backwards?" I said.
    "Heck NO" he replied.
    "I dont know if I'll ever be able to replace that box of .22!"

It used to be that you shot one box of the good stuff and then you got your shooting done with the inexpensive .22. I guess those days are gone forever.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm a little surprised we haven't seen the CCI factory melt into the earth's crust. They must be working those machines to the point of failure.

Thank the good lord I started reloading several years ago. I managed to stock up on enough supplies to get me through (at least for now). However I am getting low on supplies and factory ammo. I just hope it lets up soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fisher10 likes this.

If you pick up brass it's worth it. You can load a premium bullet for less than what you would pay for ball ammo at Wally.

Brass - Free
    Hornady XTP .18
    Powder .02
    Primer .03
    .23 per round = 11.50 for a box of premium SD type ammo.

If you buy inexpensive plated or FMJ bullet like Berry's or Precision Delta you can do it for
    7.00 - 8.00 per box. We will never see any ammo for that price on the shelf.

Granted, if you are new to hand loading your equipment purchases have to be taken into consideration. I was already set up to load rifle ammo, so it was a minimal investment.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity which 10mm Smith and Wesson do you ahve?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    Just out of curiosity which 10mm Smith and Wesson do you ahve?
    I have the 1006. I bought it very slightly used about eighteen years ago. I wound up giving it to my dad for a home protection gun, but got it back when he passed away. I took my mandatory handgun class with it prior to getting my CHL, never even considering it as a possibility for an edc. At three pounds loaded, it wasn't going to happen. I wanted small and light, but have gone the opposite direction since then. I started out carrying a Kimber and a Kahr, then switched to Glocks (which I still carry), first a 19, then added a 17. Not so long ago, I got a holster-making urge, so I made one for it based on a Midworld Gunleather prototype Mark made for my 17. I like the set-up so well I have been carrying it often, probably half the time. I particularly like the ambi de-cocker on it.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Lead & molds = Free boolits (hobby) So it's not a waste of my time ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links