DHS Brought 148 Million Rounds in 2012!

This is a discussion on DHS Brought 148 Million Rounds in 2012! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is another article detailing the DHS procurement: DHS Denies Massive Ammunition Purchase - Washington Whispers (usnews.com) So during 2012 procurement year DHS actually purchased ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DHS Brought 148 Million Rounds in 2012!

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Here is another article detailing the DHS procurement:

DHS Denies Massive Ammunition Purchase - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

So during 2012 procurement year DHS actually purchased and took delivery of 148 million rounds of ammunition! According to a letter from DHS to a lawmaker?

YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

At 100rds/week/person, that's over 28,000 people.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    The last I checked they do quarterly quals. and if we use your 100 rounds that equals 370,000 persons! So some were between 28,000 and 370,000 persons? But the question is what is the annual US production of the major ammunition manufacturers?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    We're getting jobbed!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member
    You would think the current spending cuts would have affected this year's DHS purchasing. I guess not. Maybe thats why they bought those 2,700 APCs. To carry all that ammo in. Folks, this is just ridiculous. Our fed. gov't. is out of control.
    84160 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Just look at the mobs in the streets in Cypruss......wait untill the US dollar isn't the world reserve currency any longer.....and how about M rap Armored Ambush Vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    The last I checked they do quarterly quals. and if we use your 100 rounds that equals 370,000 persons! So some were between 28,000 and 370,000 persons? But the question is what is the annual US production of the major ammunition manufacturers?
    Quals/tests @ 100rds per, plus ~a couple hundred rounds on hand for each sworn carrier, plus a few hundred training rounds a couple times per month, plus having inventories to cover periods of increase use and/or shortages ... wouldn't take long for ~30K sworn folks to result in 148M rounds. Unknown what their prior inventory levels were.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    What about the fact that we're buying these people premium SD ammo at about $.50 per round when they could train with $.19 FMJ like the rest of us.
    Don't give me any bs about a 124 gr. FMJ hitting paper any differently than a 124 gr. JHP.

While there certainly could be more sinister motives for all of their recent purchases (ammo, select-fire rifles, armored personnel carriers, etc.), the massive purchase of ammunition could "simply" be another approach at gun control. What good are firearms if you are unable to feed them because of cost or availability. It's not a feasible long-term plan, but if it buys the anti-gunners a year to implement their new gun control initiatives (er, "Gun Safety" initiatives) then it was highly effective.

And really, that's not a huge leap if you consider "Fast and Furious" as a precursor to gun control.

VIP Member
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Seems to me this was all planned to create a shortage. My question is why anyone in congress has not tried to bring this to the oversight committee.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

That article makes a compelling justification for the large purchase. I do not believe that the gov't is stocking up for the purpose civil action. That is a far stretch. But it is the job of the gov't to protect the people, and they would no doubt take action if compelled to do so.

The large purchases likely just came with the added benefit of "locking-up" the market. Then comes AWB talk and we have the perfect storm.

As with any storm, one must be prepared for it. People have supplies and food and gas if a hurricane is on the way; they prepare by boarding up windows, etc. - Liken this to the ammo-gun storms of 2008 and 2013. If you prepared for the possibility of a storm, them waiting it out is uncomfortable, but manageable. Simply shoot less, buy smart, and reload if you can (I don't yet). But if you didn't prepare, you are probably freaking out just like you would if you didn't prepare for a hurricane! I sympathize with you, but come on now!

Now the caveat is that the hurricane could be "the big one". We never know. I do not underestimate the idiocy of an uneducated an irrational public and the officials that represent their vote. - Stay vigilant and supply-up when it makes sense. ...you be the judge of "makes sense". Your preparedness for the storm and supply-on-hand will dictate this. ...but don't let this happen again. Think about it! Don't freak out now. Save your cash now and do not buy-high. Buy large, in-bulk once this passes and then immediately resume you old buy-as-you-go; you'll always have a good supply on hand. PREPAREDNESS.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    As of a year ago, DHS had something over 230,000 employees. Doesn't that make you feel nice & safe?

Keep in mind, though, that for every active field agent, there are going to be 5 or 6 administrators, clerks, secretaries, IT staff, Diversity Training staff, janitors, maintenance staff, etc., etc., etc. The vast majority of DHS employees have roles that do not justify taxpayer funding of weapons. If they choose to carry them, they should pay for them themselves, just like the rest of us.

Of the DHS employees who DO have an operational need for a gun, I'd be willing to bet they're shooting closer to 100 rounds per year than per week.

Whether their huge ammo purchases are a deep, dark conspiracy or just typical government extravagance, they're a travesty.

Don't forget a third possibility: Those millions of rounds are worth millions upon millions of dollars. Want to bet whether a lot of it's finding its way onto the black market to make some DHS bureaucrats some cash on the side?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

+1 for stealth gun control. They wanted to tax ammo into obscurity via violence taxes that went no where. Your enemies are losing in direct fights. Triangulation is their game now. You want strong security? OK watch me corner the market on ammo. Yes they could use cheaper FMJ to train, but that wouldn't hurt as much.

Also a hat tip to all those legal eagles who stand-up for poor urban youth slain by police just as they were turning their life around. In the civil suits I'm sure not using the exact ammo opens the door for liability due to common gun ignorance of killing rounds.
    Last edited by msb45; March 24th, 2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: sp

What most have missed is that hollow points are banned for international conflicts. They can be used on bases by LE MPs. Only other use would be practice (depending on discounting, might to really matter FMJ or hollow point at the quanities purchased) and use within the US. I'm not paniced, as I think it is a move to make hollow points less available while various legislative issues are determined. I just wonder if pro gun or anti gun benifits from this if there is some conspiracy to cause a shortage domestically since clearly these rounds can't be used for international conflicts.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links