Insider's Opinion on Ammo

This is a discussion on Insider's Opinion on Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just left a show where Winchester was represented. I asked the rep what he thought was gong on with ammo. In short, here's what ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Insider's Opinion on Ammo

I just left a show where Winchester was represented. I asked the rep what he thought was gong on with ammo. In short, here's what he said. Winchester is basically producing virtually 24 hours a day and has diverted all resources, including reloading components, to producing loaded ammo. The next part was a bit disconcerting. As many have guessed, he felt that the government ammo buy was not really what some have made it out to be in that the order is over a four to five year time period. The problem is that consumers are hoarding. More so, and I did not like to hear this, he said that if consumers did not buy another round, it will take up to fourteen months for the industry to recover supply equal to the levels before what I will call the ammo crash. I had some questions to clarify some of this, but due to the number of people there, I did not have the chance. Please don't shoot the messenger.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Its good to hear someone talking about the real problem, rather than the government is buying everything hyperbole...Thanks for sharing.
    MJB_17, kb2wji, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Sucks For us Handloaders. Hope the other manufacturers don't follow suit in that aspect.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I just left a show where Winchester was represented. I asked the rep what he thought was gong on with ammo. In short, here's what he said. Winchester is basically producing virtually 24 hours a day and has diverted all resources, including reloading components, to producing loaded ammo. The next part was a bit disconcerting. As many have guessed, he felt that the government ammo buy was not really what some have made it out to be in that the order is over a four to five year time period. The problem is that consumers are hoarding. More so, and I did not like to hear this, he said that if consumers did not buy another round, it will take up to fourteen months for the industry to recover supply equal to the levels before what I will call the ammo crash. I had some questions to clarify some of this, but due to the number of people there, I did not have the chance. Please don't shoot the messenger.
    I have had similar conversations with reps from many ammo manufactures saying the same thing. Still doesn't help our problem.

If you look at every aspect of the firearms industry it smacks of hoarding, guns, ammo, magazines, sights, holsters, just about anything that relates to guns is in short supply. The anxiety of the American people is well founded with the political climate that we have. I don't see any change in the near future because the demand has not been satisfied.
    Last edited by commonground; March 24th, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
    Ghost1958, bmcgilvray and darbo like this.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Its good to hear someone talking about the real problem, rather than the government is buying everything hyperbole...Thanks for sharing.
    True. The traditional way such an over-demand would be solved would be by imports. Maybe that will help.

MJK
    Place the blame where it's deserved: Obama and the anti-2A democrats.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Please define "hording".....

I buy, I stack, I shoot, I HAVE......Because I CAN.....
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwalk View Post
    True. The traditional way such an over-demand would be solved would be by imports. Maybe that will help.

I would expect to see some but imports seem to be as scarce as domestic.
    Next will come limits or outright bans on imports, already in place for China IIRC.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Distinguished Member
    Sounds about right to me, that's what a lot of us have been thinking. I sincerly doubt it'll take 14 months, I've been seeing slow but steady improvents for the last few weeks. People are starting to not be so fearful, run out of money and/or calm down. Maybe it would take 14 months for just one company, but if they are all pumping ammo out, it'll be back around in another few months - that's my prediction atleast. I say early/mid summer things will be somewhat normal-ish again.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

The owner of a gun range,i'm a member of,is starting to get a little in.He told me,basically,the same thing,this past Friday.One,that he buys ammo from,says it will take at the min of a year,to get back close,to where they were,once upon a time.

I talk to a lot of people during the normal course of business every day.
    Most of the people that are stocking up on ammo have reached the point they are comfortable with their supply vs the cost per round.

People that don't have much are still trying to buy.

That leaves people like me that like to shoot in the lurch because even though I have cut way back on my shooting, I still feel I need to replace what I have shot.

VIP Member
    Thanks to the OP for some real insider info...the first time I'd heard that from a real ammo rep and that perspective. And for all of us buying...it's a moderation thing. But if we choose to hoard, it's our choice and right to exercise as Americans. But MJK...I respectfully disagree. We are not victims of Obama/anti-gunners. We make our own choices and in this case mainly due to fear. Fear of the unknown as to what the anti-gunners want to do/might do. But it is still my choice to buy or not to buy...hoard or not to hoard (whatever that may be for me or for you). No one makes me do this. Just my opinion. We can't blame this on Obama...I think we did it to ourselves (with a bit of help from the DHS and other govt agencies buy a "wee" bit o ammo).
    Phaedrus and Glock2201 like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Place the blame where it's deserved: Obama and the anti-2A democrats.
    How about Alex Jones claiming the government is buying more than ten times what it is? Does he share the blame?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I feel I just gotta chime n here.
    I very much DO blame Obama and any-other politician/bureaucrat that thinks that more laws r gonna make us safer.
    Chicago & NYC r places that I wouldn't go to for any reason, just because of the crime rates.
    AND to think that the crinamals r gonna b deterred by more gun laws is just Plain-Ole-Stupid.
    BUT that fear of restrictions on any gun related issues R the reason for the recent ammo shortage.
    No way around that Truth.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links