Barnes TAC-XPD

Barnes TAC-XPD

This is a discussion on Barnes TAC-XPD within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious as to if anyone has every used this ammo or knows anything about it. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2...

Thread: Barnes TAC-XPD

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar

Barnes TAC-XPD

Just curious as to if anyone has every used this ammo or knows anything about it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

all the TAC-XPD (the PD stands for personal defense,) is a barnes TAC-XP bullet with the black coating on them, nothing more, they work very well, Ive tested lots of the solid copper bullets, and they all have performed flawless, its what I carry in my G30SF..

How do the stack up against the other defense rounds like hornady critical defense?

Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Hornadys Critical defense and duty lines have good results in going deep but they kinda lack in expansion, Im not a fan of the defense line at all after having 3 rounds out of 20 that were not loaded with enough powder... for my wifes .380... I also shot a .45 critical duty through some ocean spray bottles and results were poor, as you can see from the pic below.. failed to expand ... and that was just going thru some plastic...

There seems to be a lot of tests that show the Hornady Critical line of ammo with the plastic tip does not expand at all. I shot mine at the range and would not carry it unless I wanted the same almost as FMJ. I don't think they tested this ammo in any kind of carry gun. Probably would do fine out of a longer barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    There seems to be a lot of tests that show the Hornady Critical line of ammo with the plastic tip does not expand at all. I shot mine at the range and would not carry it unless I wanted the same almost as FMJ. I don't think they tested this ammo in any kind of carry gun. Probably would do fine out of a longer barrel.
    Yes the Critical Duty line was suppose to used in duty sized guns, with longer barrels, but even when I shot the 9mm Critical duty out of my G34 5.31" barrel, the expansion was minimal, im with you on not using it as carry ammo, there is a lot better rounds out there that perform much better...

I carry the double Tap 125 grain 40's.
    I use them in my 23C because they are a little snappy in my 27.
    I've killed many deer with the Barnes rifle bullets.

In God and Glock we Trust

How much do they normally run?

$61. 99 for 40. Per 50.

In God and Glock we Trust

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    Just curious as to if anyone has every used this ammo or knows anything about it.
    You can look at how it did against the FBI test protocols here- Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Product Line :: Critical DUTY®

Just go to the bottom of the page and hit the "SEE DETAILS" link under the picture of the cartridge you wanna check out.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I almost grabbed a box of 380 when it was in stock last week at Midway, but then I checked the velocity specs. Seems to be way under velocity compared to the Corbon versions. They do look cool with their retro Black Talon color scheme. I may have still nibbled but that was the only thing Midway had in stock that I was remotely interested in. Shipping was excessive for one little box of ammo. It was probably fair, but more than I was interested in paying.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Links