Academy has ammo.

This is a discussion on Academy has ammo. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I go by Academy yesterday and I was told that the shipment is coming in early this morning. I was pumped! While I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Academy has ammo.

  1. #1
    Member Array R040607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    206

    Academy has ammo.

    So I go by Academy yesterday and I was told that the shipment is coming in early this morning. I was pumped! While I have plenty of ammo for what I need, I am always looking for more because I want.

    I call ahead this morning and I am told that they have 18 boxes of .45ACP and 87 boxes of .556. Great!!

    I drive up there, investing about 45 minutes. Then, when I get to Customer Service, where the ammo is now stored, I am handed a single box of 50 and a box of 20, and told that one box per caliber per person per day is the limit. Two boxes! Seventy rounds! Come on!

    I appreciate Academy selling their ammo at respectable prices and rationing. But that is a little silly. You can call me spoiled or arrogant or whatever, but it wasn't worth my time to go get it. ...I guess I'm not desperate enough.

    I'll wait until the madness is over and restock. I've got enough to wait this out

    So... If you live in DFW, go to Academy in Southlake, TX if you need it. Bring friends and trick the system.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array DallasCMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    97
    Yeah, the Academy Sports at Forest Lane and 75/Central in Dallas often has ammo first thing in the morning (8 AM when the doors open) but like you say, it's one box per day.

    I think it's getting worse. I called Targetmaster in Garland today and asked how much their .380 costs. They have a box of 50 for $56. I was there about three weeks ago and bought a box of their reloads, 9mm - box of 50 115g FMJ for $20. High, but not highway robbery. I'd rather shoot their reloads for $20/box and leave my better ammo at home. Today, that same reload box is $26 - up six bucks in three weeks.

    In January I bought 250 rounds from Precision Delta, online. Their prices include shipping. It was $103 shipped for 250 rounds of 9mm Hornady 115g XTP bullets in new brass. Great buy, today! But now that same deal is $116.45 with a SIX MONTH wait! Precision Delta - Competition Ammunition

  4. #3
    Member Array linuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    301
    I still haven't made my mind up with Academy and if they will continue to get my business when this is over...


    Sure, they've kept ammo and firearm prices otherwise normal, and still sell ARs, but they took off advertising, pictures, and web-pages of the 'scary black rifles' as fast as any of the other companies and haven't put them back up.



    The Academy next to me in Fort Worth gets ammo in M/W/F.

  5. #4
    Member Array DallasCMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    97
    Well, what the heck. I went ahead and bought this - Precision Delta - Competition Ammunition

    With a six-month lead time I'll either be 1) regretting it because ammo is plentiful and prices are down, or 2) damn glad I bought it today for just under $20 per box!

  6. #5
    Member Array Jwalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by R040607 View Post
    I drive up there, investing about 45 minutes. Then, when I get to Customer Service, where the ammo is now stored, I am handed a single box of 50 and a box of 20, and told that one box per caliber per person per day is the limit. Two boxes! Seventy rounds! Come on!

    I appreciate Academy selling their ammo at respectable prices and rationing. But that is a little silly. You can call me spoiled or arrogant or whatever, but it wasn't worth my time to go get it. ...I guess I'm not desperate enough.
    The other way is worse, I think. The local Bass Pro does not limit the purchases, so whatever they get is bought by just a few people who make a business of waiting by the opening doors each morning, who then turn around and sell it at a higher price at the monthly gun show. Personally, I'd like to have a couple of boxes to burn, knowing I could probably replace them at a reasonable price.
    84160 likes this.

  7. #6
    Member Array Aiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    387
    They have had everything except 9mm for about 6 weeks at close to normal prices. 1 box per caliber, 3 box Max

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    1,226
    Yep. I was able to buy 1 box of 5.5 at the Academy in Conroe Friday. I guess its better than nothing.

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,547
    If you have enough why are you buying more? I have heard this is where the problem is coming from. Even when people have enough they are still buying a bunch. Maybe if everyone would only would buy what they need for a few months the supply would get caught up bringing the prices down a little.
    commonground and Richard58 like this.

  10. #9
    Member Array commonground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    South Eastern PA
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    If you have enough why are you buying more?
    The answer, that has been given to your question on several threads, has been, "Because I can" or "I want to". I guess that it's the American way.
    R040607 likes this.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,547
    Quote Originally Posted by commonground View Post
    The answer, that has been given to your question on several threads, has been, "Because I can" or "I want to". I guess that it's the American way.
    Unfortunately by doing this gun owners that are over buying ammo are the ones to blame for this shortage and gun owners that can't even buy a box to shoot with their family on a weekend are the ones that suffer. Gun owners negatively affecting other gun owners does not make a whole lot of sense to me. There are enough anti gun people out there trying to hurt us we don't need to hurt our own.

  12. #11
    Member Array OkSlim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Posts
    186
    How would you have like to be the guy 2nd in line after the first guy bought every box of ammo that you came there to get?
    Richard58 likes this.

  13. #12
    Member Array R040607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    Unfortunately by doing this gun owners that are over buying ammo are the ones to blame for this shortage and gun owners that can't even buy a box to shoot with their family on a weekend are the ones that suffer. Gun owners negatively affecting other gun owners does not make a whole lot of sense to me. There are enough anti gun people out there trying to hurt us we don't need to hurt our own.
    This is not the problem of the prepared now is it? This is the problem of those that did not prepare. Plan ahead and you will not be scavenging for supplies.

    This problem was not created, nor is it prolonged, by prepared individuals overbuying as you say. Think about it: if someone bought enough to plan ahead, having enough ammunition for their own needs, why would they overpay under current market conditions? If they are, that is their prerogative. My suspicion that those paying the high prices for ammunition today are also those that had very little in personal-stock before this happened.

    I am always looking to pick up more ammunition! I am a shooting enthusiast, and I like to go through quite a number of rounds during each range trip. As long as I am buying a reasonable price, why would I not restock?

    By the way, the ammo at Academy was $18.99 for 50 of .45 ACP.

  14. #13
    Member Array trackstarpre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    231
    LOL buzzkill
    R040607 likes this.
    Glock 23 Gen 4
    Bravo Company AR-15

  15. #14
    Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,547
    Quote Originally Posted by R040607 View Post
    This is not the problem of the prepared now is it? This is the problem of those that did not prepare. Plan ahead and you will not be scavenging for supplies.

    This problem was not created, nor is it prolonged, by prepared individuals overbuying as you say. Think about it: if someone bought enough to plan ahead, having enough ammunition for their own needs, why would they overpay under current market conditions? If they are, that is their prerogative. My suspicion that those paying the high prices for ammunition today are also those that had very little in personal-stock before this happened.

    I am always looking to pick up more ammunition! I am a shooting enthusiast, and I like to go through quite a number of rounds during each range trip. As long as I am buying a reasonable price, why would I not restock?

    By the way, the ammo at Academy was $18.99 for 50 of .45 ACP.
    What you are saying that the average person who does not feel the need to be "prepared" and have thousands of rounds of ammunition but would like to buy a box or 2 should not be able to do that. Being prepared is one thing but by having enough ammunition to last you for years and still buying large amounts at this time is negatively affecting other gun owners. Like I said there are too many anti gun people out there trying to hurt us we do not need to do it ourselves. Just because you might not be buying any right now there are people over paying right now even if they do have enough for a long time. I did not have a surplus of ammunition before all this happened and I refuse to buy it at inflated prices. I have been fortunate enough to find a little bit here and there at reasonable prices and if I can score a good deal on 500 rounds I will pick it up but I am not going to buy thousands of rounds at twice the price that I should just so I can say I am prepared. Everybody can say what they want but if we want to see this end we need to start looking at ourselves as part of the problem and do something to fix it.

  16. #15
    VIP Member
    Array Richard58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte area of North Carolina
    Posts
    2,018
    Because I can....that's today's thinking of a lot of people. We have two guys in our area who stands in line to buy all the ammo that comes in at our area Wally world. All greed and none for your fellow shooter..


    My self I'm just not that kind of person.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

academy ammo

,
academy ammo prices
,

academy ammo shipments

,
academy ammunition
,
academy sports ammo
,
academy sports ammo shipments
,
ammo at academy
,
what day does academy get ammo
,
what days does academy get ammo shipments
,

when does academy get ammo

,

when does academy get ammo shipments

,
when does academy restock ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.