What is the best defensive ammo specs for sub compact 9MM like Nano, Shield, CM9 etc.

This is a discussion on What is the best defensive ammo specs for sub compact 9MM like Nano, Shield, CM9 etc. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wondering about my choice for self defense ammo for my Kahr CM9. I am currently using the same Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. JHP that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What is the best defensive ammo specs for sub compact 9MM like Nano, Shield, CM9 etc.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar

What is the best defensive ammo specs for sub compact 9MM like Nano, Shield, CM9 etc.

Wondering about my choice for self defense ammo for my Kahr CM9. I am currently using the same Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. JHP that I use in my SW99.

Is that a wise choice or should I go to a lighter bullet?
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

2. Remove Ads

Whatever you can get your hands on that functions 100% in your gun that you can shoot accurately. Shot placement and flawless functioning in the gun is first, everything else is secondary. Your choice for ammo may not match mine or others.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

right now, the best ammo choice is whatever you can find...... that said, speer makes a great bullet. The "tiny Ninies" dont have a perfect bullet because of the very short barrels, and 147 gr of bullet will ruin anyones day. It will make a hole no matter what. as long as you hit the vitals, you will do well.
    CeltKnight likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    It's fine. There is no "best" round and out of 100 opinions, you'll get 102 different answers! The Gold Dots are a quality defensive round. Carry and enjoy.
    kmagnuss and ugh762x39 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I really like Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel for my Kahr PM9.
    brocktice likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Here is some ballistics testing info/results and a range report:

Ditto on the suggestions of some others (above): find what works best for your own specific gun, as often the load that'll work on yours will vary from the load that seems to work for many others who have the same gun. You never know what your particular one will like best.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This link will take you to several short barrel 9mm tests. Food for thought. I do most of the short barrel 9mm testing in a PM9. Pocket Guns and Gear: Ammo tests
    rugerista likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I use DPX 95 gr. JHP. They are designed to produce the same exact results as their 115 gr. round but only out of a shorter barrel. They are a hotter than normal load and all copper so that they expand every time with those nice long petals of metal. Plus they are rated well for barrier penetration and have less recoil in smaller guns. You will be hard pressed to find anything negative about them except their price but my life is worth the extra money. :)
    gun_bushido likes this.

The Federal HST 124gr +p would be my choice. Feeds great in my LC9 and the tests have shown it to be a reliable penetrator/expander. Maybe it will be available again in a year or two :p
    Ljutic likes this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I use DPX 95 gr. JHP. They are designed to produce the same exact results as their 115 gr. round but only out of a shorter barrel. They are a hotter than normal load and all copper so that they expand every time with those nice long petals of metal. Plus they are rated well for barrier penetration and have less recoil in smaller guns. You will be hard pressed to find anything negative about them except their price but my life is worth the extra money. :)
    Are those the new rounds from Barnes?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Wondering about my choice for self defense ammo for my Kahr CM9. I am currently using the same Speer Gold Dot 147 gr. JHP that I use in my SW99.

Is that a wise choice or should I go to a lighter bullet?
    i'd just buy any modern defense round. there's no "magic bullet". shorter barrels usually can't take advantage of all the energy but I don't think it matters that much. i think Speer was making a Gold Dot cartridge specifically designed for short barrels for a while with a cavity that was designed to open up better at a lower energy if you want a purpose built option. not sure if they still do though. I think there's a tendency to over think it. just stuff some ammo in there and make sure you test a couple of boxes before you carry it.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Thanks to all who responded. Good comments. Thanks for your insights and opinions.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

+1 on what feeds the best for your gun, and what you can find . Those today can be difficult . In the end if it goes bang, it will have to do . Reloads won't be so bad then :( it really sucks here , nothing unless you want to pay 2X 3X the old price . Good luck . Anything beats nothing :)

This is the very best article I have seen on the relative merits of different calibers. While it doesn't get into specific loads, it provides the best insight I have seen regarding the importance of shot placement rather than one caliber or load than another..

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

I carry 147gr Golden Sabers in my 3" barreled XD9 sub-compact. Shoots great, functions 100%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links