What type ammo do you stockpile ?

This is a discussion on What type ammo do you stockpile ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just trying to get an idea about what type of ammo folks stockpile up on as far as either 'target rounds' or 'defensive rounds'. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What type ammo do you stockpile ?

Just trying to get an idea about what type of ammo folks stockpile up on as far as either 'target rounds' or 'defensive rounds'. I personally just have most all target round ammo for my handguns in stock. I do just have a box of each caliber in defensive ammo as I would only be needing whats in the box at the current moment if I was carrying whichever handgun at that time. Should I be trying to stockpile more defensive ammo ( if there is ever any more available ! ) as opposed to target/range ammo ? I mean, if the end were to come upon us and we had to defend ourselves as a nation, I know that the target ammo could do a pretty decend job of stopping a threat but probably not near as good as a defensive round. Of course if you had to go up against armour plating and bullet proof clothing I guess it wouldn't make much difference which of the two you were using and instead wished you had invested in 'armour piercing rounds !!

i have mostly target ammo. i only have like 3 full clips of jhp for my glock 40 and about 700 rounds of target, for my s&w 9mm i got a full clip of jhps and the rest are target, for my glock 21 i got 20 rounds of jhp and about 600 target rounds. i trust mine and my familys life on target rounds. they will all put a hole in you but jhps will put a bigger nastyer hole in you. i stock up on target rounds without a second thought!

Bulk is target rounds. Smaller quantities of JHPs.

I try to keep at least 200 rounds of Defensive Ammo per Caliber on hand at all times.

With that being said, I keep about 1,000 rounds of target/plinking ammo per caliber on hands at all times. So...about a 5:1 ratio of Target to Defensive ammo.
    gallardo.g23 and RickyD like this.

I keep my one .38 special in my left shirt pocket in case of emergency.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I buy/keep the JHP ammo of various manufacturers (of my various caliber needs) for my SD/HD firearms, and regular ball ammo for the range, but in an all out societal collapse, ball ammo will work just fine. I have enough of both.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Looking across my entire inventory (rifle, pistol, shotgun), it appears that about 20% of the total is defensive or hunting-type ammo. That seems to fit most of my needs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Is that like the Indian fighters' practice of saving the last bullet to use on themselves?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

50/50 target to defense....

With a few red 'tipies' thrown in for shis & grins...

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Is that like the Indian fighters' practice of saving the last bullet to use on themselves?
    Mayberrys Deputy Barney Phiffe <sp

Distinguished Member
    I have mostly target stuff with some HP mixed in, not too concerned etiher way, it was just easier + cheaper to stock up on ball ammo. The way I look at it, if I'm using my stock piles of ammo - I'll have a lot more to worry about than weather or not it's HP or ball, target or SD. I'll just want bullets that go bang, and lot's of em.
    WINTEJER000 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Just like Barney Fife?
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCR 357
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    RMGO Member

Aside from shotgun loads and .22lr, I have about 5 times as much target ammo as I do defensive/hunting ammo in each caliber, with some oddball military ammo that you might consider in-between as SHTF backup.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Right now I've only got about 1000 rounds of CCI .22LR. I've managed to save 360 rounds of .223 (PMC .55 gr) - I wish I had been smart enough to grab 1000 or so before the buying panic hit. I also try to keep about 100 rounds of 9mm, and another 100 of .380, but I was short when the panic hit so right now I've only got what is in the magazines of both pistols. I've only got 18 .357 rounds for my wheel gun. I also try to keep about 50 rounds of 12 ga. handy. Most of it is #4. some is #00. Shotgun ammo still is available for some reason.

If the supply situation ever gets back to normal, I'll be keeping a lot more on hand, and replacing it right away after I spend a day at the range. I don't want to get caught like this again.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

About a 100 round of JHP for rifles and pistols the rest is fmj. If im busting into the fmj much something really bad has went down.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links