Carry ammo

This is a discussion on Carry ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 9 mm carry ammo is over two years old, should I be concerned about the reliability of this ammo? If the ammo is not ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BigCityChief
  • 1 Post By Strmwatch
  • 1 Post By SmokinFool

Thread: Carry ammo

Question Carry ammo

My 9 mm carry ammo is over two years old, should I be concerned about the reliability of this ammo? If the ammo is not still OK I have a problem, I can't find any 9 mm defensive rounds anywhere. I have lots of FMJ rounds, is it OK to carry that stuff?
    Phil

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Your ammo should be fine, sir, I've recently been to the range with 5 yr. old FMJ 9 MM ammo - zero issues. Assuming your rounds haven't been in an ammo-hostile environment, you should have no issues.
    USM1976 likes this.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    PS: FMJ rounds should be fine for SD.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

I had some ammo,that was over 15 yrs old.My dad had a 357 S&W revolver,he got in 64,65 not sure.I took the revolver out of my safe one day,and had forgot about some ammo,leftover,from a previous time,i shot it.During the xmas holidays,this past yr,i took it to range,and decided to try the ammo.It wasn't but about 25 or so bullets,but,they fired,with no problems.That was the only time,i've fired any that old.

As long as the ammo has been stored in a cool and dry location, you should be fine. If it's been in a damp basement or a hot humid garage, you may be asking for trouble. Recently shot a few boxes of 1994 vintage 9mm reloads I did when I was reloading and they worked fine. Factory ammo from 1991 or 1992 also worked fine. I draw the line at 20 years. If I still own it after that long, it's time to shoot it up and recover the brass.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

VIP Member
    I wouldn't be concerned about 2 year old SD ammunition.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I still have Winchester Black Talon from when Bill Clinton was elected in 1992. As long as it is not corroded or been stored in a damp area, it should be good. Check for corrosion especially around the primer area. The FMJ is what the military carries, it tends to go through rather than mushroom. Keep shooting until the threat is over.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

...I've shot ammo that's been in a LA garage since the 60s, a case of 9mm that's been in a TX attic for at least 10 years...no clicks...

I shot .45 that was in a army 55 gallon drum marked 1944 back in the 70's was a MP worked great

Just shot a bunch of 9mm FMJ that I've had since I bought my G17 Gen 1 back in 1991....fired with out a hitch. I also fired off a bunch of Hydroshocks and some +P ammo from 1991, no issues with those either. I will be honest, I didn't even store them very well!

Oh and another thing to add and I know I'll be scolded for this. The last time I actually fired that particular Glock was in 1994...tossed it back in the case DIRTY, never cleaned it...and fired it last week using said rounds. Yes...it still had 19 year old carbon build up in! (No I didn't even lube it either)

Was still extremely accurate too.

/flame on!!!
    Ljutic likes this.

Factory ammo will last decades. You'll be fine.
    USM1976 likes this.

Links