Found ammo during my family's spring break!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Found ammo during my family's spring break!!!!!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently on vacation on a ski vacation in Colorado. Our condo is less than a quarter mile away from a Walmart. We were ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Found ammo during my family's spring break!!!!!!

I am currently on vacation on a ski vacation in Colorado. Our condo is less than a quarter mile away from a Walmart. We were shopping for supplies on Easter morning and I decided to take a look at the ammo section. I was shocked to see some 9mm. I haven't seen 9mm or 22lr in months at my 2 local walmart's in Michigan. I was able to pick up the last 3 boxes of 9mm at $10.97 a box. I went back this morning before going skiing and they had 20 boxes of .22 LR. I was like a kid in a candy store. My wife and I picked up 6 boxes (225 rds each) for ourselves. My wife was excited that we can start shooting again with our daughter when we get back to Michigan. I plan on going back two more mornings hoping to stock up for spring shooting with the family. I already had a decent supply of ammuntion prior to all the crazyness. However, we have cut back on our range trips because I did not want to shoot what I could not replenish. I am no way going to pay crazy prices for ammo......just stayed patient!
    Snub44 and BamaT like this.

there you go

Man, all these "I found ammo at Walmart!" thread are making me jealous. :( The local Wally Worlds around here are wiped clean. Along with all the Gander Mountains, Bass Pro Shops, Dicks, and all the LGSs (with the exception of one - but they'll only sell you two boxes of ammo if you're buying a gun at the time).

Glad it's coming back around, though (I hope...). :)
    Lish and koosh0122 like this.

My local walmarts were cleaned out b4 all this went down. It's gonna be a long time b4 I see any ammo on the shelves. Sux!

Fla CWFL holder
    NRA member
    Ruger LCP EDC
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

I hope it's a sign that things are getting better. The man at Walmart said it will still be 8-11 months from being normal. However, they are seeing more ammo coming around. Still low quantity but still more coming around

As much as I hate Walfart I may have to go into one...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Just don't be silly and shoot it all up. Read the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Then be an Ant.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Awesome. Hope you have a great trip. If your flying... Make sure to check your airlines and TSA's guidelines for ammo in checked luggage. Southwest has a limit in the 10-14lb range. Ammo can also sure make your luggage hit the overall weight limit where they charge extra. I almost always am declaring a firearm so I'm not sure if you need to declare ammo by itself but that's worth finding out no doubt. If you have more ammo in weight that they allow a person to check in their luggage maybe dividing and having your significant other put some in their bag will help. I usually just use a shoebox with paper in any space and tape it closed. If the airline your flying is not ammo friendly... Consider going to an authorized UPS center and shipping it to yourself before you leave. I know the one in commerce city is if your flying out of Denver. Just don't want you to have any surprises or problems last minute as your trying to catch your flight home. Again, hope you enjoy your vacation.

I plan on shipping it ups back home to myself. Hopefully, I will be able to get a couple more boxes before the end of the trip.

Every Walmart I pass I stop and check for ammo. I get lucky some of time and I'm able to pick up something I can shoot.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by koosh0122 View Post
    I hope it's a sign that things are getting better. The man at Walmart said it will still be 8-11 months from being normal. However, they are seeing more ammo coming around. Still low quantity but still more coming around
    I wish it was. But honestly, it is a sign that small amounts still come in to local stores here and there and being lucky is probably the reason you got the ammo. Supply is still way behind demand. Like others, my local wally worlds and other stores are still pretty bare. Hang in there though, the craze is slowly dying down. In another 6 months we should see ammo on the shelves regularly again.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    In another 6 months we should see ammo on the shelves regularly again.
    I hope that will be so. My next purchase for my gun related money is a kydex holster from Mark at Midworld Gun Leather (then a mag pouch/carrier). After that, possibly in June, I'm going to try for a baby Glock (if they have one in stock at the Blue Label dealer). With all this ammo stuff going on, I'm going back and forth between whether I'll try for the G26 or G27. I have a Gen 4 G17...and a G26 would be the sensible thing to do. If the ammo situation continues as it is, I just might try for the G27 since it's sounding like .40 can be available when 9mm is not. I could then purchase a LWD 40-9 conversion barrel for practice when/if 9mm becomes more regular.

My Walmart hasn't had ammo for over 3 months!
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

11 LBS is the limit that you can have for ammunition in your checked bags. (11 LBS TOTAL not 11 LBS in each checked bag) It has to be either in it's original packaging or packing designed specifically for ammunition.

If you go the shoe box route chances are the TSA will still open the shoe box (Not the ammunition packaging) to inspect how it's being stored inside. I've had this happen to me several times while flying.

You don't need to declare the ammunition, but obviously if you are also checking a firearm that MUST be declared. You can have the ammunition inside the same hard sided storage case as a firearm just for future reference. It still needs to either be in the original packaging or an ammunition specific storage box. Magazines CAN NOT be used for storage /transport. If you do that the TSA will either confiscate them or will have you open the case and and re-secure them the appropriate way.

The only think I find at our Wal Mart is the guy behind the counter saying ... "we didn't get any ammo today", or "we only got shotgun shells", or "we are sold out of what we got".

I've got a gun feeling someone is slipping him cash under the table to be called when the good stuff comes in.
    NRA Life Member

If you died today are you prepared for where you will end up tomorrow?

Thank you to all of those who have served this country - you have my respect!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links