Is this a good time or a bad time for gun stores?

This is a discussion on Is this a good time or a bad time for gun stores? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I walk into stores looking for ammo. 6 out of 7 have none in 9mm or 22LR. The one that does have some has a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Is this a good time or a bad time for gun stores?

Is this a good time or a bad time for gun stores?

I walk into stores looking for ammo. 6 out of 7 have none in 9mm or 22LR. The one that does have some has a one box limit on 9mm and 2 box (100 shot) limit on 22 LR.

The online stores are out of anything close to reasonably priced.

I can see this as being good for stores--hey, they sold all their inventory!, or very bad--they can't get anything to sell.

I can see the smaller shops with less connections to distributors having a hard time with all of this. The employees seem pretty depressed.

Will we be seeing lots of smaller shops closing soon?

Anyone an owner, or know one, willing to comment?
    Life is about service.

2. Remove Ads

I went to my LGS a couple weeks ago and their shelves were practically empty. I asked them if they were going to a gun show, as their shelves generally do that when they go to a gun show as they bring a lot of inventory with them. The guy told me that no, what I saw was all they had. They also had no 9mm and a one box limit on everything else they did have. They're selling what they're getting, all of it. So how good business is depends on what they're getting.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Great post Todd and it asks a very good question. IMO it was great for LGS when it first started because the guns abd ammo were flying off the shelves and they were having great sales days. At this point I would think it is still good because you know for the most part whatever comes on the truck as far as ammo will be gone by the end of the day but on the other hand it must be frustrating having to tell your customers no we can't help you or I can only give you a 2 boxes on a daily basis.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I think it will depend on how long this goes on. In the short run, selling most of the inventory is good for their profit margins. If it goes on too long, they might not have enough income to keep the lights on.

I also saw on the news last night that the ammo shortages have become critical even for some local sheriff's departments.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I think it will depend on how long this goes on. In the short run, selling most of the inventory is good for their profit margins. If it goes on too long, they might not have enough income to keep the lights on.

I also saw on the news last night that the ammo shortages have become critical even for some local sheriff's departments.
    They should have made enough money on the initial rush to keep the lights on for a while.

It is the dogone hoarders......
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Good and bad. Selling your shelves bare empty is good. Not being able to restock them is bad.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

It can be a good thing for Gun Shops to have a rush on things but the downside is that it drives up the price due to demand and then the suppliers cannot keep up the supply and Gun Stores have little or nothing to sell.

It's a Catch 22. We want to see stores thrive, but we also want good prices and product. That just isn't happening with what our current crop of lawmakers are hinting about.

I think maybe they (anti gun lawmakers) are really wanting to bolster sales so they can crow about the "good" economy. Then again, not.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

All of my local guns store owners have told me that that this has been their most profitable period since opening up and some of these stores are very old. Most are down to selling the cheaper and more readily available guns like Taurus, HiPoint, when they never did before. They are breaking open boxes of ammo and selling them in lessor quantities in baggies. I just saw some Korean PMC ammo that I bought two months ago for $30 which was high, selling for $80 a box of 50. I used to buy one or two guns a month (education does pay off so stay in school children) but now have only bought two guns this year due to lack of availability.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't think the ones here are hurting too badly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    My local range/store was pretty bare with ammo and guns for the last month or two. Went in last week, was glad to see the guns were all back - just hardly any ammo. Talked to one of the guys, he said most things are getting back to normal, just still not much ammo coming in.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Good and bad. Some are showing their true side by jacking prices up on everything. It will hurt them in the long run.

Good that they sold out of most everything. Bad that they can't replace products or the products wholesale cost has doubled. I was in my favorite LGS yesterday and they got a UPS shipment of three bricks of .22 LR. The owner went ballistic over the wholesale invoice price of $30.95 a brick when they were paying $14.95 before and getting cases instead of just three bricks. Some of the smaller LGS will likely go out of business with nothing to sell.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

why cant people buy a bunch of ammo and horde? even if its the problem and why the cops cant get bullets that's not any one elses problem. if u wana buy something then you have the right! i buy as many bullets as i can when ever i have any extra money. if the cops run out of bullets ill have enough to protect my family and possibly my neighbors
    1MoreGoodGuy and R040607 like this.

It's probably good for the owners of the LGS but crappy for the employees. There's little downside to doing two years worth of sales in two weeks! That's a crapload of sales, and that should pay the bills for half the year. It sucks for the employees, though- it's not like they can work 200 hours per week when it's busy to make up for being essentially laid off because there's nothing left to sell.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links