I am officially angry at hoarders

This is a discussion on I am officially angry at hoarders within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went all over town looking for some lead bullets and powder to load up some IDPA fodder. The freaking shelves were bare. I spoke with ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: I am officially angry at hoarders

Went all over town looking for some lead bullets and powder to load up some IDPA fodder. The freaking shelves were bare. I spoke with one of the guys I know and he related a conversation he had with one guy looking for primers:

Guy walks in " Got any small rifle primers?" Clerk: "Nope." Guy: "Well I will just have to hold on to what I have." Clerk; : What do you have now?" Guy: " I have 20,000 small rifle primers and 200lbs of powder." Clerk: "Wow, what kind of reloading press do you have?" Guy: : "I don't reload."

I mean really? The clown does not have any use for what he is hoarding but his doing so adds to the problem, my guess is its the same with ammo....... "Gee I don't have a 9mm or 223 but I better get lots of ammo."

I have what I really need, I just refuse to break into my good ammo for punching holes in paper and would usually get all my IDPA supplies at the beginning of the season now my practice and my hobby suffer because these jerks that are scared that the sky is falling.

How much ammo do you really need for any conceivable fantasy SHTF scenario?
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    So... The manufacturers can't meet the supply for the current demand while the government buys obscene amounts of ammo reserves...

...And you are mad at the buyers for buying more than you did ahead of time?

I will be buying every darned primer I can find, if/when I find them. I understand the frustration of him not being a reloader, but I also want a decked out first aid kit, but I am not a medic.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I am not certain who I am mad at. I think more than anything I am mad at the stupid Lib-ruls, for pushing the ban nonsense that started this mess.

That sort of hoarding behavior certainly does not help the situation. If the guy isn't going to use them and has no intentions of using them, then now would probably be about the best time to be releasing them for sale for a tidy profit. I'm sitting on some 9mm target ammo that I bought prior to the shortage but I'm not going to use it until I can reliably replenish what I use because I don't know how long this will go on.

I can say that my motto is going to be not again and I plan to accumulate a lot more as well as reloading supplies. I was pretty new to guns and hadn't had time to acquire a whole lot of supply and inventory on top of a few handguns, classes, and carry permits, before things went crazy.
    mano3 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This current firearm/ammo shortage is entirely self induced by gunowners and some "speculators." P.T. Barnum would be proud of us.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I may would be mad at hoarders,had i not had the chance to buy,just like they did.
    R040607 likes this.

VIP Member
    So you are saying if I purchase ammo for a gun that I shoot and stock up that is being well prepared but If I purchase ammo or components for guns I never owned or intend to own that is hoarding.
    carracer and AR15VSCoyote like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Thing is, I have to work on the days and during the hours that ammo shipments come in so I'm pretty much out of luck to those who either don't work or are fortunate enough to have good timing. I too have to pretty much sit on what I have modestly stocked up on prior to all of this and just buy what I can find if the price is right. And if it's not in the ballpark for what I think it's worth, I'm leaving it on the shelf.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

So... The manufacturers can't meet the supply for the current demand while the government buys obscene amounts of ammo reserves...
    We have been in a shooting war for over a decade, I am sure they can handle a high demand for ammo.

I understand the frustration of him not being a reloader, but I also want a decked out first aid kit, but I am not a medic.
    Preparedness is not the problem.

If the guy isn't going to use them and has no intentions of using them, then now would probably be about the best time to be releasing them for sale for a tidy profit.
    I don't buy at panic prices, like I said, I have what I need, I have just chewed through my comfortable margin of reloads for play.

So you are saying if I purchase ammo for a gun that I shoot and stock up that is being well prepared but If I purchase ammo or components for guns I never owned or intend to own that is hoarding.
    In obscene amounts yes, what would you call it?
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

It is very frustrating... Close to where I live in North Dallas is hard to find 9mm. I wanted to do IDPA which is not cheap at normal prices and these days just out of my budget.

Even at the range... There are more people shooting and its hard to get a spot to practice.

I'm a free market guy... But something seems wrong... Why is there no ammo?

i agree withthe OP.. you dont reload.. you never intend to start reloading.. the what the hell are you doing buying up 20,000 primers?! I dont shoot 357sig but if i bought up 20,000 rounds and wiped out a major supplier for everyone else in my local area, you dont think people have a right to be upset about that?

VIP Member
    I learned my lesson last time. I was new to shooting then and couldn't believe that a box of .45 cost $18 one week and $29 the next. We all got through that and swore not to let it happen again.

Going in to the election I stocked up a bit more than usual but was still a little low on 9mm when Sandy Hook took place. It seemed that over that next week, every round of ammunition vanished off the shelves as soon as they arrived. I was never able to properly restock my competition and training supply. My SHTF stock is still in place as I won't touch that until the zombies start moving around.

I recently had to add to the frenzy. No, I will not say how much those two cases cost. It is freaking embarrassing! I am hoping that those will see me through for a bit - at least until supply gets a little bit closer to demand.

We all just need to exercise a little patience and we will all get through this shortage too.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post

...And you are mad at the buyers for buying more than you did ahead of time?
    As much as I am against big Government if you look at any of the bigger ammo sellers it will show you the government purchases are not the cause of the shortage. A couple of weeks ago Freedom Munitions had 200-500 ct boxes of reman 9mm jhp ammo at an outrageous price and it was bought up in less than 7 minutes. Do your math that is 100,000 thousand rounds of overpriced remanufactured ammo gone in less than 7 minutes. I am pretty sure the government did not buy any of that.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I think a good potion of the ammo and reloading supplies that are purchased at sporting goods stores and local gun shops are being resold at gun shows. During the rush after the 2008 election I was at a local sporting goods store when an employee told me that they had well stocked shelves a few days earlier. They said a guy walked in and bought EVERYTHING. He didn't care about caliber or brand. If it was on the shelf, it went in his cart. When people stock up on ammo, they usually stock up on the right kind of ammo. Why would anyone spend $200 on .257 Roberts ammo if they don't have a rifle that will shoot it. I suppose he could have had a very extensive gun collection that includes at least one of everything, but I doubt it. I am sure that it ended up sitting on a table at the next gun show.

You don't necessarily have to limit yourself to your local market. You can shop nationally, and allow suppliers to compete for the best price possible. I believe this link was provided in earlier post, but I will post it again. The prices are not all great, but at least there is variety and availability, and you can customize your shopping experience for your own ammo needs. GunBot find 223 5.56 AR-15 ammo in stock
    RoadRunner71 likes this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links