This is why I stopped carring 9mm

This is a discussion on This is why I stopped carring 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started out caring Hi-Cap 9s but the darn things were so heavy and bulky that I wound up leaving it home half the time ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: This is why I stopped carring 9mm

I started out caring Hi-Cap 9s but the darn things were so heavy and bulky that I wound up leaving it home half the time and wound up violating rule #1 of a gun fight (Always bring a gun). I then bought a smaller 9 and itís size made it easier for me to carry so I started carrying 99.99 % of the time. I gave the whole thing some more though and realized that my main reason for carrying a 9 was because of its large capacity and now I was carrying a 9 with about the same capacity as a compact .45 so why not carry a more powerful .45? I seems like a no brainer to me I switched to .45 and I am glad I did.

2. Remove Ads

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Jacob - your student was blessed, all right.

Silver, I've been carrying a small 9x19 (a Glock 26) with big (17- or 33-rounders) back-up mags (and 147-gr bullets to ensure adequate penetration). It seems to be the best set-up for me. I've found that I don't carry my mini-Glock 36 in .45 very much anymore.

I still have my all stainless steel 14+1 S&W 1st gen. 659. The darn thing is too heavy to carry even when empty. I have no desire to own another Hi-cap weapon, even if it is less heavy. It isnít an option in NY anyway because the 10 round AWB is still alive and well here. The state law is exactly the same as the federal law that expired.

The prevalence of idiots in pairs or more that I've encountered in the wild leads me to not want anything less than a ten round capacity in a primary handgun given the fact that there's not a handgun round alive that guarantees drop on the spot.

The average police hit rate is in the teens. I train a lot more than the average police dude, but even then, I can't guarantee a hit no matter how much I try in the real world. I figure on 50% real world hits since I'd rather undercompensate for my abilities and luck than the other way around. This means that assuming one shot per idiot stops the problem, the venerable six gun nets me 3 assailants tops. Of course, I don't have much faith that one shot from anything, including my .44 Desert Eagle, is going to solve the problem instantly, magically, and as fast as I want it to.

If I need to shoot, I need them dead or down now. Not a minute from now, not before the paramedics arrive, etc. That may well take a hail of bullets, if it happens at all.

This is why I don't worry about caliber as much as many folks. I want capacity and a gun that I'm comfortable with.

For me, in stress situations, is my Sig 226. Idiot simple, no safeties, real hammer.
    MikeNice likes this.

I have been shot three times now. Two in my right leg from an AK at about 10 meters. They blew through what I was hiding behind. Lost lots of blood and I limp a bit.

One from an AD/ND I had with a Glock 27. I'm still recovering from it. They all hurt, but the .40 in my hand has done the most damage. Still feel stupid.:(

Luckily, I was forunate to squirril away a case of Geco B A T (Blitz Action Trauma) 72 Gr 9M/M before they dried up on the market. These things look like a one mean motha, after hitting a tactical Police riot sheild. We also tried some of them on a 2" phone book. The result was a massive bullet path, with the round just slightly tearing the back of the book with NO exit. I also carry Federal Hydra shock 147gr rounds..
    I much prefer the Geco BATs over anything, and would never want to be on the recieving end

Current info on BAT round is at
    http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/t...?TOPIC_ID=6953

Forgot to say--this is the new round.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Blitz Action Trauma

Good grief CLASS3NH - what did a case of these things cost you? I managed to hang on to a few boxes of BATs myself - but they weren't cheap. From what I understand, the Germans have produced a variety of BATs - ranging from minimum penetration/maximum expansion to maximum penetration/minimum expansion. Mine are the first version, and when I carry a 9mm - it's ONLY with BATs. I continue to hear rumors about these being imported again - but I can't help but think they'll be limited to LEOs. I hope I'm wrong.
    If you want to make God laugh - tell Him your plans. Yiddish proverb

They say you should fight with a pistol only long enough to get you to a real gun....such as an 870 or carbine.

Hi Revlar
    I bought my BATS back in 1983 when they were really expensive LOL.about 18.00 a box I think......not to mention the FFL price at that times was less than that....I bought them for a PD that decided to not carry them, after I showed them what they could and couldn't do...it was nice to see that a 2inch phone book was just barly penetrated to the reverse cover by them. we also tried the Fed hydrashocks, where they penetrated and stuck in the crowd control shields for the TPF at the time. they eventually went to Federal with the H&K P7M8's I supplied to them.
    I then held on to the BATS and have a huge amount of em to date.....better than gold right now LOL

Bat is not reliable in P7M8.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Hi KC
    I've put the BATs thru my P7 (PSP) with no trouble. I have read that in the repots about the P7 issue though. I also carry them with my A.S.P. (when I'm feelin frisky) JK LOL.....They aslo work very well with the 469 series Smiths

To each his own. For me, too many better rounds available that are 100% reliable in the P7.

The BAT was an excellent round 20+ years ago, even the new one is not that impressive to me.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Ohhhh I DO agree with you KC. I also use 147 Gr Hydra-shocks with the P7 Series. I just the thought of that BAT round expanding and tearing a nice bullet path. The Hydrashocks work that way as well..

I respect the decision of anyone who chooses to pack whatever caliber he or she decides in a handgun, as long, of course, that they don't load it with ammo that overpenetrates a bad guy and goes streaking through the neighborhood. I can't agree that the 9mm, with proper ammunition, is not powerful enough to carry for defense, but to each his own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links