This is why I stopped carring 9mm

This is a discussion on This is why I stopped carring 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I switched to .45 ACP a few years ago Link...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: This is why I stopped carring 9mm

I switched to .45 ACP a few years ago

Link

DC Founder
    Good grief, it didn't even break the tooth off, it extracted it. :O

Yes, and results from good ammo would be differant....was it 9mm Mak, or 9x17? Bet it was crappy ball ammo, and a Sgt with an angel on his shoulder, too! I have heard of a guy getting 3 44 mags to the chest, who shot his attacker dead, and lived. Also heard of a guy getting hit with a .25 in the arm, and dying because "he got shot".
    MikeNice likes this.

Better ammo would have do more damage im sure it was ball ammo to ... All depends where ya get hit and how lucky you are that day .

Well, he used up a LOT of luck that day, or as the Chinese say, burned a TON of joss!!!

Simple, just won't shoot Marines with my nine .

If we find anyone that can eat 9 of my Speer 115gr+P+ at 1400fps, he can have my gun, because it will weight me down as I run away.:(
    tdave and Recon1342 like this.

This just goes to show you how underpowered handgun rounds are.

I've read numerous instances of how people can take multiple handgun rounds and still keep coming. God bless those in the Armed Forces!

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    I switched to .45 ACP a few years ago
    It probably won't make that much difference. In my files I have just about as many .45 failures as I do 9mm on a percentage basis. One of my favorites is the guy who was shot in th e face from across a pool table. When we got there he was bleeding from the nose, but walking around feeling fine. While we were doing interviews, he blew his nose, and blew out the .45 slug. As far as the doctor oculd figure the round went into the sinus cavity and did not penetrate any further.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    A local police officer was shot in the head at point-blank range last year with her own .45. She's still on the job, although she was out for a while.

No such thing as a magic (handgun) round for self-defense, folks.

Originally posted by Erich
    No such thing as a magic (handgun) round for self-defense, folks.

This is a true statement....I think if any handgun round is close to being magic...its a 10mm hot loading from DoubleTapammo.com

Its still not magic...and its still a handgun round, but its alot closer to rifle velocity and muzzle energy with a .400 bullet than any other chambering for a semi-auto.

Caliber : 10mm
    Bullet : Gold Dot Lineup
    Ballistics : 155gr. @ 1475fps / 750ft/lbs
    Glock 20

If you want something to make you sleep better at night..I would pick this over the .45.....

But this is only because its hard to conceal my 870!

Senior Moderator
    I saw a police video at Blackwater Training Center of a woman who was shot three times in the torso with a .45 ACP and walked around a car yelling, "He's shooting me." She never went down.

Anecdotal evidence cited from a country where both firearms and ammunition may not be "cutting edge" or even well-maintained and ammunition can be flawed, damaged, or otherwise not optimal is hardly a good reason to stop carrying a gun or round. Moreover, as others have noted, many calibers including those legendary munitions that begin with "4" have documented failures even with multiple hits. That isn't a reason to stop carrying them and/or handguns.

I prefer the 9mm chambering, and with good quality defensive ammunition is a very formidable self-defense round.
    MikeNice likes this.

When I was looking to buy my first automatic (luckily it was given), I decided I'd get something in a full size frame 9mm.

The reason why was compromise. I knew I needed lots of practice with an automatic pistol, but I also wanted something that was better than a .22

Enter the 9mm. Reasonably cheap ammunition, more effective than many other calibers. Even the full size models can be concealed if need be.

Now some day when I gots the money I may get a .45 or something along those lines, but when you only have one pistol it has to be all things to you.

It's also why I chose a .357 magnum with a 4" barrel for my first revolver and my first handgun of my very own. It can do all things. Not well, but it can be everything to me and it was all I had for months. For practice I use relatively cheap .38 Special (I do shoot some 357 just so I'll be used to the recoil, the noise, and the muzzle flash) and then I can use 357 rounds for defense. I've shot several guns like it, I've shot it quite a bit, and while it's not perfect it is a sweet piece and the only reason I'd ever sell it is if I got a similar, better gun to replace it with. It's definitely not my first choice for a carry gun but under 2 layers of clothing it is concealable if need be.

I feel certain basic configurations like a 9mm semi-automatic and a .357 DA/SA revolver are really good for someone who is just starting to buy their own guns. These two pieces have taught me a lot about what I want in future pistol purchases and I don't see myself ever getting rid of them. They'll always have a place in my arsenal, unless I replace them with fundamentally identical pieces.
    MikeNice likes this.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/teeth.asp

They haven't ruled it out yet, but i'd keep checking back.

Erich, I remember that incident. She was hit a couple of times wasn't she? Shoulder as well?

I had a student as well who was hit in the back of the head through the rear glass of his vehicle. The round (.45) didn't penentrate, just a cut and big bump. Guess he had an angel sitting behind him.

Hard to not believe in incredible luck and higher powers sometimes.:)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links