Factory Reloads are they safe

This is a discussion on Factory Reloads are they safe within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the world of guns and I was looking for 9 mm ammo today, Cabela's had some Ultramax 1st time reloads. Is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Factory Reloads are they safe

I am new to the world of guns and I was looking for 9 mm ammo today, Cabela's had some Ultramax 1st time reloads. Is this type of ammo safe or should I stay completely away from reloaded ammo. By the way I was at work, and by the time I got around the firewall and stuff it had sold out so I did not purchase any but should I see it again would it be safe to by. I have also seen some Freedom 1st time reloads and wondered about them too. A friend said a reputable company should be OK but how do I know if a company is reputable.

Thanks

VIP Member
    I'd stay away from Ultramax, although I have no personal experience to base that on. Just do a quick google foo for "ultramax KB" and see what shows up.

Personally I'd avoid any 'reloads' that I didn't reload, but that's just me.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Name brand commercial reloads are probably OK... at least there's a name behind them, as opposed top no-name stuff you see at gun shows. Black Hills is the best of the best for commercial reloads, and priced accordingly, but it's great stuff.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    It's okay for target practice, but nothing else. I've used it and buy it when I see it. It is reloaded to factory specs and is as safe to use as factory ammo, because that's what it is. Check with Midway USA for ammo. good luck

Black Hills reloads (blue box, white box sometimes) is as good or better than many other brands' fresh new stuff.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Avoid Ultramax like AIDS! The stuff is terrible. I had a case split right in front of the case rim when shooting in my BHP! Scared the crap out of me, lucky it didn't blow up. I looked at the rest of them and several have visible bulges. Scary! I threw the rest of the box away. FWIW thought I'd had the stuff for a long time. Maybe their new stuff is better. I'm not willing to risk it myself.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Places like Georgia Arms - AMMUNITION and the like make good reload ammo. Remington UMC yellow box is decent but hard to find now. You wont get nearly as smooth consistent results as reloading your own but nothing wrong with bulk reload ammo from reputable places. Places that all they do is reload and have customer reviews online. Or you get recommendations like mine for above. Just realize your gun and it's springs may be factory tuned more toward hot self defense ammo. So your point of impact and how the gun shoots will vary some with different ammo loads. Don't run steel cases through your gun in my opinion. The winchester white box is also okay. So is the S&B and their brass is nice. Sometimes the biggest difference is more dirty burning powder and smoke signature. Some brands of lower cost ammo like Monarch, American Eagle might leave your gun more noticeably dirty and fouled after a long practice. It's going to be harder to be choosy right now.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Yeah, right now you kind of have to take what you can get. I used to get American Eagle sometimes but hadn't bought any in years, then earlier this week I happened upon a store that had a ton of it. My USP will eat anything so I bought a few boxes just to keep my stash at an acceptable level. Otherwise I don't want to go shoot up ammo I can't replace.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I worked at a range for many years and I have a simple rule about reloads. Remember that no gun company will waranty a gun blown up by reloads so plan for the worst case scenario. You pull the trigger and the gun goes boom. If you loaded it yourself, you acept the risk and can only blame yourself. If you bought the ammo in a ziplock bag at a garage sale or from a gunshow reloader or something then you are stuck. If you buy it from a reputable loader then you have a chance of getting it replaced. I worked at a shop that carried Ultramax in the middle and late 1990s and I only ever saw one bad round in all those years. and never had a customer complaint. Don't expect great consistancy with the mixed lot of brass, but for target practice in the current political situation it should be fine.
    OldVet likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Over the years, I have found that Zero, and Alabama Ammo are also acceptable reloads. Zero, in particular is sold at many gun shops for use in their rental guns. They also have a retail side to their business where they sell reloading components, as well as loaded ammunition, Roze Distribution.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Georgia Arms- I buy pretty much all my target ammo from them and have never had a serious problem. One light load didn't cycle the slide of my 1911 properly (stovepipe FTE), but everything else has been flawless.

As for the rest of them... Your guess is as good as mine.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've never (knowingly) bought commercial reloads but have reloaded for all my guns since 1975 and have had two duds (primer bad), no squibs, and excellent performence in all the rest. I don't buy the crap at gun shows. Yet I have noticed a disturbing number of "factory new" ammo recalls for all the reasons blamed on reloaders (wrong powder, improper amounts, etc.) in the last few years, so you can count on it being safe either.

You take a chance anytime you don't know what's in a round.
    Exsimguy1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Factory reloads...it depends. I've ordered tens of thousands of rounds from Georgia Arms without any problems.

I'd be wary of any ammo packaged in a ziplock bag.

As cautioned by other members, it sounds like you should be wary of Ultramax ammo
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Probably ok, but what TYPE of gun are you shooting them in and what TYPE of ammo is it? Reason I ask is some newer pistols like Glock, Bersa Thunder Pro, etc. have hexagonal rifled, hammer forged barrels. The point being, they are deeper grooves with the intent of putting more spin on the bullet, resulting in better accuracy and about 200 foot-pounds more impact energy. YOU CANNOT SHOOT LEAD BULLETS THROUGH THESE BARRELS. Yes, you probably could in an emergency...I have and what happens is the lead collects in those deep grooves and a few rounds later, will see big slow moving chunks of it fly out as the bullet goes by them out the front of the gun. If they clog it enough to impede the bullet's path and cause excessive pressure build up in the barrel, it might EXPLODE the barrel. Hence, no lead reloads. Copper jacket/lead tip ok. If you have 1911 clone, Springfield or Ruger, probably be ok to shoot them. I used to and if you keep a bottle of copper fouler cleaner around to dunk the barrel in and use a little bit of a copper wire sink scrubber to push through the barrel, it comes right out-first saw video of Wilson doing this-Fascinating. Don't rapid-fire shoot them...if you hear a weak pooottt instead of the normal loud bang...could be a light loaded one...stop and clear gun, make sure the bullet went out the barrel. If it doesn't and another is fired behind it...also explode the barrel. It's called a squib load. Most factory reloaded ammo is of good quality though. I personally hate the first run loads of Remington or UMC ammo altogether as found them very dirty and horribly inaccurate. Probably the BEST ammo you could invest in would be Hornady...they are factory loaded, but CUSTOM factory loaded meaning they are more precise and it's what I trust when my life counts. The Hornady XTP ammo used to have one motto: "We make large, open, fatal wound cavities". Nobody else says that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Probably ok, but what TYPE of gun are you shooting them in and what TYPE of ammo is it? Reason I ask is some newer pistols like Glock, Bersa Thunder Pro, etc. have hexagonal rifled, hammer forged barrels. The point being, they are deeper grooves with the intent of putting more spin on the bullet, resulting in better accuracy and about 200 foot-pounds more impact energy. YOU CANNOT SHOOT LEAD BULLETS THROUGH THESE BARRELS. Yes, you probably could in an emergency...I have and what happens is the lead collects in those deep grooves and a few rounds later, will see big slow moving chunks of it fly out as the bullet goes by them out the front of the gun. If they clog it enough to impede the bullet's path and cause excessive pressure build up in the barrel, it might EXPLODE the barrel. Hence, no lead reloads.
    Polygonal rifling has a warning against shooting lead bullets (Glock, others). The description given above is not anywhere near accurate, as to how, or why, however. Polygonal rifling has no conventional grooves, and promises a SLIGHT increase in velocity (not another 200 lbs of energy).
    Some owners have shot a lot of proper lead bullets through polygonal barrels with no ill effect, however the warning is still a good one.
    Please try to be accurate if you want to warn someone of something.

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links