Barter the new currency?

Barter the new currency?

This is a discussion on Barter the new currency? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was waiting in line today for some .40 ammo when I overheard an interesting sidebar. Some guys were trading ammo like baseball cards... "I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Barter the new currency?

Barter the new currency?

I was waiting in line today for some .40 ammo when I overheard an interesting sidebar. Some guys were trading ammo like baseball cards... "I've got three boxes of 380 I'd like to exchange for four boxes of 9mm." I'm seeing more people buy whatever they can, without owning any guns in that caliber, either for barter or speculation. Makes it hard for me buy what I need when everyone else is just going for the landgrab.

Ah the good ol' days of trading baseball cards. Rod Carew rookie for a box of good SD .45 rounds anyone?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
    Barter the new currency?

I was waiting in line today for some .40 ammo when I overheard an interesting sidebar. Some guys were trading ammo like baseball cards... "I've got three boxes of 380 I'd like to exchange for four boxes of 9mm."
    Sure, with many.

Barter goes on all the time. Has been for long before coin existed, and it'll be around long after. I'm sure much of this was simply folks leveraging what they had a lot of for what they needed. Hard to claim a hoarder/gouger can be seen simply by virtue of him engaging in barter trade.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...barter got real popular in the late 70s...then folks missing out on sales tax started hasslin'...it kind of died down...and/or went underground...it's an effective way to accomplish a lot...work for guns/ammo, etc...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just a note, the IRS regards barter values as income. Mum's the word.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

anytime there is a shortage of anything, barter becomes the means of getting what you need, just like in economic collapses (Zimbabwe, Argentina, Greece, Germany, etc.)...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I, with all due respect, don't believe barter can be considered...new.
    Badey likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My neighbor and I were discussing this very topic not long ago. In a rural area like ours, we decided that 22 LR ammo would be great for bartering.

...that's one of the things that killed the movement...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

...could you explain this, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I, with all due respect, don't believe barter can be considered...new.

Senior Moderator
    I barter all the time. Need your gun barrel threaded? Need some custom gunwork? I'll take guns,ammo,knives, anything that appeals to me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Im going to my lgs 2moro they do buy sell trade, im gona see if they will trade two boxes of federal 45 auto target rounds for two boxes 40 s&w target ammo. im thinking they will cause they can sell it and they don't have much 45 target ammo. if they don't then owell

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Strange, when by definition a barter is a trade for things deemed of equivalent value. It's hardly income.

But then the IRS has got plenty of knickers to get twisted, when the smell of money's in the air.
    HotGuns and OldVet like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Strange, when by definition a barter is a trade for things deemed of equivalent value. It's hardly income.

But then the IRS has got plenty of knickers to get twisted, when the smell of money's in the air.
    That's what I was thinking. I guess you'd have to claim barter income AND losses and make sure it balanced out on paper. Or like you said, mum's the word, after all there's no paper trail.

Unfortunately, barter is only good for as long as you have stuff to trade, and it's desirable to the person who has what you need. My landlord buys used appliances - refrigerators, stoves, and window a/c units. Which is great, I trade him a refrigerator and a/c for rent one month, but next month I have either run out of spare appliances or eventually all his properties would be furnished and he wouldn't be interested in any more appliances. It may be great for occasionally aquiring things you otherwise couldn't, but I haven't found it useful for long term every day sustenance. This is the idea behind pawn shops really. I take them pretty much anything remotely valuable, and they give me cash that I can trade to various other people instead of just the one person interested in what I have. Last time I checked, I can't trade an extra refrigerator to the utility company to pay my bill and I kindof like electricity
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...could you explain this, please?
    Sure, humans have been around a lot longer than coins & currency. It's only natural, when you had something I needed & I had something you needed, we would come to an agreement about how many beaver pelts were worth, uhhh, um...your daughter! Bartering isn't new, it's been around for thousands upon thousands of years. Millions maybe, as little fish "barter" cleaning big fish in exchange for food scraps & not being EATEN.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links