Where are you getting your JHP?

This is a discussion on Where are you getting your JHP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently found a great deal on a new .45, and am trying to find some hollow points to practice with. Where are you ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rammerjammer
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh

Thread: Where are you getting your JHP?

I have recently found a great deal on a new .45, and am trying to find some hollow points to practice with. Where are you guys buying your ammo? The only place with anything in stock is ammunitiontogo.com and their prices are absolutely outrageous.

Local gunshops, Academy, PX, anywhere I can find it! Dumb luck helps, too.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    Local gunshops, Academy, PX, anywhere I can find it! Dumb luck helps, too.
    I ran out the luck portion of that, just stuck with the dumb it appears.

LOL! That's unfortunate. I like to get my ammo from Underwood but they're constantly out, too.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

from my stockpile
    Snub44 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    I have recently found a great deal on a new .45, and am trying to find some hollow points to practice with. Where are you guys buying your ammo? The only place with anything in stock is ammunitiontogo.com and their prices are absolutely outrageous.
    Why do you want hollow points for practice? I can still find fmj Winchesters fairly reasonably, and they work great for practice ammo.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Why do you want hollow points for practice? I can still find fmj Winchesters fairly reasonably, and they work great for practice ammo.
    I should have been clearer, I would like to carry the .45 but would like at least 2 or 3 boxes for a function check. I can find FMJ but JHP are near impossible around here.

I can tell you where I'm not ..

That's how things are looking at the Bass Pro in North Myrtle Beach I was just at an hour ago.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

It's not "cheap" but Bulkammo.com is cheaper than Ammotogo by a bit. For the record, the latter is at least reputable with regards to service, even if prices suck. I just received an order of 9mm ammo from them, 2 x 50 count boxes of Federal HST 147 gr 9mm ammo. I'm embarrassed to admit what I paid but there's zero, zip, nada available around here.

The .45 ACP situation is positively rosy here, though. The local Scheel's store has a ton of .45 ACP ammo, JHP and FMJ. The prices aren't great but they're not obscene either. They only have Gold Dots in the 20 round boxes, and that's kind of high. But they have better prices on Remington and Federal JHPs. IMOHO, the .45 doesn't require "high performance" ammo to the degree that the 9mm does (which is why I was willing to pay $1.35 per round shipped to get the HST for my 9mm).
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I can tell you where I'm not ..

That's how things are looking at the Bass Pro in North Myrtle Beach I was just at an hour ago.
    Ya thats the story just about everywhere. I cant wait till this madness settles if it ever does.

From my 50 caliber ammo can full of 158 gr Remington Hollow points, that I bought in the 1980's prior to the clintonista era. Then I prep some brass from my 20 mm can of 357 mag cases, prime them, put some 2400 in them and seat the bullet. I do this until I fill a 30 cal ammo can with loaded ammo.

Then I cast some Keith style 173 gr SWC hpts or solids and load them into the 38 special brass (2 x 20 mm cans full) on top of a hefty charge of 2400. These are rated as 38/44 HD rounds and are very close to 357 speed.

In other words I load what I need when I need it.

If this current situation does not convince people to have the ability to load their own ammo, then I guess nothing will.

I will say this, if I was starting out fresh I would go with the 40 S&W, not because I love the cartridge, but because I find the brass lying on the ground more than any other handgun round. Easier to stockpile this way.

My next project is to get a gas check maker for 35 caliber bullets that make checks for plain base bullets, that way I can cast of softer lead and get better expansion. You use coke or beer can aluminum.

Yea you don't need to practice with jhp. When I try a new sd round i buy an extra box and run it through my gun to make sure it cycles, that is all. Practice with whatever is cheap.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Sponsored Links