Question: Ranger RA45T vs RA45TP (+p)

This is a discussion on Question: Ranger RA45T vs RA45TP (+p) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My new carry piece is an all steel, bobtail 1911 commander. I've decided to use Ranger T's. I bought a couple boxes of the regular ...

Thread: Question: Ranger RA45T vs RA45TP (+p)

Question: Ranger RA45T vs RA45TP (+p)

My new carry piece is an all steel, bobtail 1911 commander. I've decided to use Ranger T's.

I bought a couple boxes of the regular 230gr. RA45T, and a couple boxes of the RA45TP (+p). I was very accurate with both. I could feel that the +p had more energy in the recoil, but I shot both equally well. I'm trying to decide which to use.

Here's my question. Intuitively, I would guess that the "+p" version would penetrate deeper and open larger. This assumption of mine is supported by Winchester's data. http://www.winchester.com/lawenforce...g/testing.aspx

However, I've read that the contrary is true: that the non +p version penetrates deeper because it doesn't open as quickly.

Which is true?

Thank you

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    don't know, but, +p is probably not worth the extra cost and wear and tear on the pistol at self defense ranges.

Just curious, but what did you pay for a box?
    I just picked up som +p for $25 (50 rounds). It was the same price as the non +p.

Yes, I did pay something like $25 dollar, and both versions cost the same

I bought two boxes of each to try them out. Once I decide, I'm going to buy a case, which equates to quantity discounts.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I would imagine that unless you decide to fire large numbers of +p through the bobtail, the wear and tear will be a nominal factor....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    I would imagine that unless you decide to fire large numbers of +p through the bobtail, the wear and tear will be a nominal factor....
    Correct; I'm not too worried about wear-and-tear on my gun. That is, afterall, one of the benefits of an all steel gun. Besides, I baby my gun by replacing the recoil spring every 800 rounds. I know that isn't necessary, but it gives me peace of mind, so it's worth the 8 bucks.

I think I'm going to choose the +p, because it too gives me peace of mind. I have about 25 rounds each of RA45T and RA45TP leftover, and I find myself carrying the RA45TP.

I'm still curious as to which will penetrate deeper. The +p has the greater momentum, but it opens up faster too. Any thoughts?

45acp ranger t reg vs +p

Here is the diference between the ranger t and the ranger t +p the reg ranger t goes 890fps the +p ranger t goes 990 ft per second you may get a little mpre penatration like an 1or2 inches maybe even 3 out of the regular ranger t but i probly still would go with the +P just my thoughts....Its a very excellent round either way!!

I really like the +P. The recoil isn't a problem and the extra wear and tear is not an issue if used in a newer production gun that is approved for +P. I also use stronger Wolff recoil springs.

At close range the +P is not needed, but I use this gun for general carry in the field. Longer shots are just a bit easier with the slightly higher velocity, and retained energy and velocity are higher.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

IMO I would think it would depend on the time of year to determine what you would carry. I think in the summer it wouldn't really matter either way, but in the winter I might be apt to go with the +p just b/c of the extra layers of clothing and/or heavy coat. You might want the extra 1-2 inches of penetration. Just a thought.

chad
    A violent crime happens every 23.1 seconds..... something to think about.

Links