Ammo Manufacturers Scramble to Keep Up

This is a discussion on Ammo Manufacturers Scramble to Keep Up within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This article has several interesting quotes and statements by ammo mfrs. Ammo Manufacturers Scramble to Keep Up with Demand, Reassure Eager Customers | CNS News ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Ammo Manufacturers Scramble to Keep Up

This article has several interesting quotes and statements by ammo mfrs.
    Ammo Manufacturers Scramble to Keep Up with Demand, Reassure Eager Customers | CNS News

Hornady, an ammunition manufacturer located in Grand Island, Nebraska, offers answers to concerned customers on the FAQ page of their website:

Q: Have you stopped production, or has the government forced you to stop?
    A: Not at all.

Q: Since we can't find your product you must be selling it all to the government.
    A: Nope, less than 5% of our sales are to government entities.

Q: Why can't you make more? Ramp up production? Turn on all the machines?
    A:We've been steadily growing our production for a long time, especially the last five years. We've added presses, lathes, CNC equipment, people and space. Many popular items are produced 24 hours a day. Several hundred Hornady employees work overtime every week to produce as much as safely possible. If there is any question about that - please take a tour of the factory. You'll be amazed at what you see.
    There are other statements by Black Hills Ammunition and Remington.
    84160, srings, Lish and 1 others like this.

Great post! I think people labor under a lot of misunderstood ideas. If a company, like Hornady, are used to selling X amount of product but suddenly get 10X demand they can't magically produce ten times the amount! Anyone should be able to see this just by looking at their own jobs. For example, if you're a mechanic you can't suddenly fix ten times the cars just because you suddenly get a chance to. I'm a chef- there's no way my restaurant could "ramp up" our production to serve 2,500 people per day! Think how long it would take to do that. First, it would have to be clear that the demand isn't a transitory event or anomaly. It would cost a million dollars to add 50% more to our dining room, and we may not even be able to do it unless we moved. And what if, after six months and a million dollars invested, that bump in demand went away?

Winchester could build five new factories, at the cost of God knows how much, but how long would that take? Six months? Two years? It could be a long time before they were making more ammo in their new buildings. Will there be a similar demand for ammo when the factory comes online?
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

The biggest reason for the ammunition shortage is the the federal government as stated in the article..... It was created by the panic buying after the school shooting in December 2012 and all the talk of more so called "gun control" laws....... We only have ourselves to blame..........
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

The "ammo bubble" will pop sometime in the next year... hopefully

The .gov needs to get out of the manufacturing business ...... remember the initiation of the old "Just-in-Time" business philosophy employed to combat the high inventory taxes levied on businesses by the .gov ..... well, here we are again where businesses are reluctant to increase production in the face of today's gun control frenzy for fear they might get caught with a large inventory of suddenly illegal product.

I read an article in Wall Street Journal Online that basically said that they projected this Ammo shortage to maybe last 9 months. The article was posted I think in January. So hopefully this Fall things will start to get back to reasonable.

Administrator
    We only have ourselves to blame..........

We are living through a time when an entire large segment of the "people in power" coupled with the national mainstream news media are waging a legislative and media blitz war against firearm magazines, firearms, gun owning citizens, the NRA, etc. etc. and we have OURSELVES to blame for wanting to stock up on ammunition?

No...we have them to blame for creating the uncertain, turbulent, environment where millions of normal, average, law abiding, firearm owning American citizens feel it absolutely necessary to do so.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    But if a chicken crosses the road, screaming, "The sky is falling, the sky is fallen," are rational people going to believe the chicken and run for cover?

No, fools have fallen victim to their game. The rational ones have maintained (or at least attempted to maintain) a pre-apocalyptic level of supplies.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    The sky may not be falling but, it seems to be suffering from some serious structural cracking right at the present time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The sky may not be falling but, it seems to be suffering from some serious structural cracking right at the present time.
    It's that fracking thing that everybody's been talking about. Lots of controversy and opinions about that too.
    Rock and Glock and Sky Pilot like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I can agree with that.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

i haven't let the shortage bother me at all. I just cut back on how much I shot until things get better. I still have enough components to keep the press going for a little while.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

It just sucks because many of us who shoot regularly have to hold or dip into reserve/defensive stock.

However, I don't blame anyone (including the new owners) for buying up ammo. Like mentioned, political war is waging against guns and the future doesn't appear solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

As a gun owner for less than 1 year, I had not yet learned the lesson of how important it is to be well-stocked. Fortunately in Jan-Feb, I was able to build up my stock to a sufficient level and I have not bought any more since then. But I have had to cut back some on shooting since it is currently very difficult to replace what I shoot. When it gets easier and more affordable, I will be laying back a lot more ammo for the next crisis.

I find it hard to believe that no matter how much ammo they make, it could possibly fill the black ammo hole in this country. I'm not sure how much is enough for some people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links