HP ammo suggestions for NAA Guardian .380

This is a discussion on HP ammo suggestions for NAA Guardian .380 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up this little beauty and am in the process of testing out different HP ammo in it. So let's keep this to ...

I just picked up this little beauty and am in the process of testing out different HP ammo in it. So let's keep this to users who have or have had in the past this exact pistol.

I haven't seen too much data on if this particular pistol in .380 ACP is picky on the kind of ammo it likes. I am headed to the range tomorrow with some FMJ to break it in and also with a few different HP ammo to see if it favors any over some others. I currently have Winchester PDX1 95gr and of course Hornady Critical Defense. The Hornady CD is always my go to if nothing else works reliable. It performs with decent results for its intended purpose. However, the Winchester PDX1 has better performance results and so I would prefer to carry that, but that is only if it functions reliably. I had a Diamondback DB380 that refused to chamber the PDX1.

Are there any other HP ammo choices I should be considering? Please refer to ammo you have actually used in a NAA Guardian .380 ACP.

Barnes Tac-XPD, or any other maker that offers the Barnes Solid Copper bullets they work great, I've tested a lot of different ammo out of my wifes LCP into gel and the barnes bullets works great, the PDX-1 is also a great round and performed as it should, had lots that failed to expand...

Distinguished Member
    I have had a lot of luck with Hornady FTX which seems to penetrate further than even Speer Gold Dots in every ballistic gelatin test I see and it expands pretty consistently. I also like the hot Corbon loads but mostly using DPX lately for .380 and9mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Personally tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    I have had a lot of luck with Hornady FTX which seems to penetrate further than even Speer Gold Dots in every ballistic gelatin test I see and it expands pretty consistently. I also like the hot Corbon loads but mostly using DPX lately for .380 and9mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    One more step and it's on!

I had one years ago, and traded it for a different gun because it was very finicky with ammo. I told this to the individual I traded with, he wanted it anyway. He was a Deputy Sheriff in my county, took the NAA to his armorer, and had it working flawlessly with some minor work. This was my experience with only one gun, and this was several years ago, so I would not take this as an absolute on all NAA .380s.

There are more ammo choices now that may work well in your gun. I honestly don't remember what I tried in mine.
    NRA Life Member

So far it has eaten everything I feed it. Out of the 2 hollow point ammunition I tried to this point, I like the way the Hornady Critical Defense performed best. The recoil was tamer which also made accuracy better. So that will be my personal defense choice unless something better comes along.

380 for get HP stick with the flat nose may not sound cool but effective

Hornandy Critical Defense or just plain Federal or Remington FMJ in mine...........

FMJ has too much risk of over penetration and then legal rammifications of injuring or killing an innocent bystander. These NEED to be considered if you are going to carry a deadly weapon.

Links