Ammo Found... but not buying because of the price.

This is a discussion on Ammo Found... but not buying because of the price. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found out today that a local hardware store that has a gun shop just received in a large shipment of 9mm, 40, 223, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Ammo Found... but not buying because of the price.

Ammo Found... but not buying because of the price.

I found out today that a local hardware store that has a gun shop just received in a large shipment of 9mm, 40, 223, and a few others. I have been looking for 9mm for quite some time because I am all out of FMJ.

However, at 50 cents per round for 9mm, I am not going to buy. It is some off brand from some former soviet country and every time I shoot it, my gun looks like I dipped it in gun powder. Additionally, since it is some off brand that I had never heard of before, and the quality is so bad, I am willing to guess that they are not paying all that much for it.

Thus, I found my threshold of what I am willing to pay. If it means no range time, then so be it.

Are stores in your area jacking up the prices of ammo, knowing that they will be able to sell it? Or am I just asking too much to have 9mm for less than 50 cents a round?
    Wreckr likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Keeping checking Wal-Mart and Meijers. They sell Winchester White box for $24.95 for 100. I will not pay .50 a round for target ammo.
    MJClark and Wreckr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodz View Post
    Keeping checking Wal-Mart and Meijers. They sell Winchester White box for $24.95 for 100. I will not pay .50 a round for target ammo.
    I check one of them every day.... Thanks for confirming my frustration with prices. I feel better for not running down there with $100.

Local store here known for high prices to begin with is charging $24.99 for 50ct box of Tula 9mm fmj. I'll pass, thanks. I still find this at Walmart for $11.99.

My jaw dropped when I saw that CheaperThanDirt is selling a 50ct box of PMC 9mm fmj for $69.69!! Are people THAT hard-up for ammo?
    Wreckr likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Good for you. More for the rest of us. :) I am looking at 9mm selling for over $1 per round around here. Where is this hardware store that is selling ammo so cheaply?
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Keep those in mind who are gouging when times come back around.... cheaper than dirt!
    Bad Bob and Wreckr like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 103FLHX View Post
    Keep those in mind who are gouging when times come back around.... cheaper than dirt!
    Technically it is not price gouging but it is one of those terms used loosely by many people like "Assault Rifle".

Noun 1. price gouging - pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available
    commonground likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

gouged gouging

transitive verb

3: to subject to extortion or undue exaction : overcharge

Gouge - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    Technically it is not price gouging but it is one of those terms used loosely by many people like "Assault Rifle".

Noun 1. price gouging - pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available
    Thats what most are doing. When I found an online retailer sellin bricks of 22lr federals for $275.95 for a dang brick. People buy this they are nuts. No thanks Ill wait till it settles down a bit.
    Wreckr likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Last week 9mm 115 range ammo was $15.99 for 50 at the LGS. Pretty fair quantity on hand. I'm still waiting for reloading components to reappear.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...CCI 100-ct bx of .22 short HP...$12.00...still sittin' on the shelf..last box I bought over a year ago was 3.75/50...remember too many 55 cent boxes to pay twice what I used to buy a brick of 500 for...with 50 cents back...

Am I wrong for suggesting we don't buy overpriced ammo during this shortage? Some guy is ripping me for that. Saying that I'm trying to control what people buy and how much. He must be selling overpriced ammo
    Backwoodz, Bad Bob and Bobbj22 like this.
    NRA member
    2 pistols, 3 calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dog View Post
    Good for you. More for the rest of us. :) I am looking at 9mm selling for over $1 per round around here. Where is this hardware store that is selling ammo so cheaply?
    You are actually paying $1 a round for 9mm range ammo? I hope you were just being sarcastic?

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    It's not price goughing..It's called supply & demand which equals capitalism.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I bought two 50 count boxes of Eagle 115 gr FMJ yesterday for $18.88, last 2 boxes. There were two boxes of PMC, also last two boxes, for a buck less but wanted to stay with American made. I bought at 9:00 the LGS store opened at 8:30, ammo stocked the night before while closed. Limit two boxes per caliber per customer. It could be worse.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links