Federal Amuniution Co. (Interesting rumor, or is it?)

This is a discussion on Federal Amuniution Co. (Interesting rumor, or is it?) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son's best friend has worked at Federal (head quartered in Minnesota) for years. He often can get me factory 2nds at a very low ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Federal Amuniution Co. (Interesting rumor, or is it?)

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Federal Amuniution Co. (Interesting rumor, or is it?)

My son's best friend has worked at Federal (head quartered in Minnesota) for years. He often can get me factory 2nds at a very low cost all of which have worked just fine at least for plinking around. What I was told got me thinking. Federal is considering NOT renewing their contracts with the US government. Two reasons. First of course they get a better price than anybody else due to quantities and buying power. But the most interesting reason is that over the last year or so they have been attempting to buy every production round in all the military calibers that Federal can produce. 223 etc. Leaving little if any for public sale. Question has to be, do they really need all this ammo? or are they just doing a work around for gun control by just making ammo unavailable and/or unaffordable?
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

Control the ammo and you've controlled the guns. No legislation needed.
    Life is about service.

Good for Federal I hope they stop selling to the Gov't .... yeah might be a little bit of loss at first but they will make up for it when they sell same ammo at a higher cost to regular consumers... I agree with Todd^^^^ ...
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I love a good rumor
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I'm tired of the little games.
    revldm likes this.

VIP Member
    Though their might be some principled reason behind this rumored business decision,
    there is probably also a distinct financial aspect. In the present shortage environment
    they likely can keep production lines busy and sell at a good profit without the need
    to enter into a low-bid government contract. Those sorts of contracts keep a floor
    below which business /production can't fall but may not produce profits. So, if these contracts
    are no longer needed, they may be making a strictly economic choice.

Uncle of course has other sources of ammo, but could if he chose to, do what was done
    during WWII and compel factories to produce the materiel needed for the governmental purpose.

Meanwhile, I hope it was a business decision and not an fundamentally unpatriotic one.
    I see no principle of love of country in a policy which would deny the government what it needs.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

C'mon guys! It's these types of "rumors" that just make our situation worse! We've seen the gov't order numbers as well as first-hand reports from ammo companies to dispel all this chicken-little business! If everyone would cool their jets, the supply should catch up with demand by the end of the year. No sense perpetuating the problem!
    Hopyard, Glock2201 and Tzadik like this.

Well instead of being able to go punch paper with my firearms. All I've been able to do is use them for paperweights & doorstops because I can't get any ammo.

If you can not take the firearms out of the hands of the law abiding citizens then dry up the ammo

So in the runaround . . . you win Mr. President!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Though their might be some principled reason behind this rumored business decision,
    there is probably also a distinct financial aspect. In the present shortage environment
    they likely can keep production lines busy and sell at a good profit without the need
    to enter into a low-bid government contract. Those sorts of contracts keep a floor
    below which business /production can't fall but may not produce profits. So, if these contracts
    are no longer needed, they may be making a strictly economic choice.

Uncle of course has other sources of ammo, but could if he chose to, do what was done
    during WWII and compel factories to produce the materiel needed for the governmental purpose.

Meanwhile, I hope it was a business decision and not an fundamentally unpatriotic one.
    I see no principle of love of country in a policy which would deny the government what it needs.
    Hop,
    I believe a true patriot supports his country and it's people, not the government ( which can be a quite different thing ). Don't want to sideline the thread or start an argument about semantics, just would like for you to think about that.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I would like to see/hear someone of authority in Federal come out and tell us what's going on.
    Ksgunner and smolck like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I would like to see/hear someone of authority in Federal come out and tell us what's going on.
    From their website...

Why is ammunition in certain calibers so hard to find?

The current market and environment is causing stronger than usual demand for products in our industry.

Why are you selling all of your ammunition to the DHS?

The Department of Homeland Security contract makes up a very small percentage of our total ammunition output. This contract is not taking ammunition away from civilians. The current increase in demand is attributed to the civilian market. Our production volumes on government contracts have been stable since the mid-2000s.

Are certain contracts taking ammunition away from civilians?

No. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business. The majority of our product serves the commercial market.

Federal Premium Ammunition - FAQ
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Close enough for me.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    From their website...

Why is ammunition in certain calibers so hard to find?

The current market and environment is causing stronger than usual demand for products in our industry.

Why are you selling all of your ammunition to the DHS?

The Department of Homeland Security contract makes up a very small percentage of our total ammunition output. This contract is not taking ammunition away from civilians. The current increase in demand is attributed to the civilian market. Our production volumes on government contracts have been stable since the mid-2000s.

Are certain contracts taking ammunition away from civilians?

No. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business. The majority of our product serves the commercial market.

Federal Premium Ammunition - FAQ
    I've worked with enough very large companies to know that circumstances require carefully worded responses that are not necessarily accurate due to what is NOT said. "Homeland Security" is a very small market when compared to the entire military and government structure. Federal makes a huge amount of ammo from 22 cal to shotgun ammo. I'm not crying "the sky is falling in" but chicken little may be in the wings some place and this time he could be right.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Even low-bid government contracts provide a steady sourse of income to most businesses.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I don't believe that one. Business is business and the goverment is a good customer.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links