DRT 380 Auto Clear Gel Test

This is a discussion on DRT 380 Auto Clear Gel Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't know very much about this one before the donation arrived for testing. Really surprising performance from this round. It certainly makes me curious ...

Thread: DRT 380 Auto Clear Gel test

DRT 380 Auto Clear Gel test

I didn't know very much about this one before the donation arrived for testing. Really surprising performance from this round. It certainly makes me curious to test the larger caliber rounds.

Pocket Guns and Gear: DRT 380 Auto 85 Grain HP Clear Gel test

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Interesting. I have to wonder about likelihood a gunshot survivor dying by infection from the scattered debris.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I've always wondered about those rounds- I'd assumed that they were, for the most part, similar to the Extreme Shock ammo.

Thanks for the test.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

That would be serious trauma to the abdomen or chest. MY opinion is subject that received that round to the mid chest or upper abdomen would not survive. The trauma to liver, spleen, heart and major vessels would be significant in a center mass hit, not only from the physical damage of the round itself but from the sudden energy release in the first few inches. The large fragment that continued to penetrate would hold more than enough residual energy to penetrate or significantly affect bone.
    Just my opinion on the effect of what I saw in the gel test, would like to see more testing on this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Quote Originally Posted by latentcarry View Post
    That would be serious trauma to the abdomen or chest. MY opinion is subject that received that round to the mid chest or upper abdomen would not survive. The trauma to liver, spleen, heart and major vessels would be significant in a center mass hit, not only from the physical damage of the round itself but from the sudden energy release in the first few inches. The large fragment that continued to penetrate would hold more than enough residual energy to penetrate or significantly affect bone.
    Just my opinion on the effect of what I saw in the gel test, would like to see more testing on this.
    Would love to do more testing on this 380 and also the 9, 40, and 45 in the future. Product availability is the biggest hurdle with too much other stuff to test being a secondary constraint. Field reports on the rifle bullets, using the same bullet construction technology, have been quite positive. Not a true apples to apples comparison, but it's better than no feedback at all.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Links